Forum Index > Trail Talk > Washington Natives Please Stand Up
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 8:35 am 
Nativism is awesome. A common bond. Born at Cabrini. Left the area for The Gorge in '04, even at that point it was way past the slightly awkward, very quirky metro area I grew up in. The 'mind your own buisness' polite ethic had faded, and now it was already morphing into the 'we'll mind it for you, or else' attitude King Co has now become. Now when I return for visits, I thank my stars I GTFO. I knew it would get bad, but had no idea of the hive like nature it would take on. Only thing I do miss is quick access to the Alpine Lakes corridor and points north. Funny thing is, nativism works both ways...now I'm down here and I rub shoulders with folks whose parents parents moved here. The bright spot, the locals tell me I fit in better than many of the other transplants busy playing the "run from what you made, and then bring it with you to your new spot" game. If it's so much better and smarter in Boston or LA, then stay there.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 8:36 am 
As far as I'm concerned, if you weren't born in a tent, at least ten miles from the TH, at an elevation greater than 5,000 feet, you're not a real hiker. Just sayin.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 8:38 am 
LOL for real, good one.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
mike

mike
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 9:30 am 
gb wrote:
My REI number starts with a 5 and is five digits long. All that means is I'm probably older. I'd trade you if I could..... wink.gif
Same here frown.gif

nickmtn

nickmtn
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 9:48 am 
Born in Minnesota back in 1986. Moved here with my wife to be closer to the mountains. Currently in the mountains most weekends clogging up trails and parking lots. At least I take the bus to work! I also helped a Washington native repair his leaky roof, so I think that counts for something right? I get where you guys are coming from. For what its worth I think the mountains of Washington are the best in the country. I was thinking last night that the White Chuck Glacier, even in its dying state, is still larger than most of the glaciers in Montana or California. I've learned to enjoy the forested portions of hikes. I've learned that a trailhead above 3,000 feet is a privilege not an entitlement.

silence

silence
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 9:52 am 
We arrived in 1984, so been here longer than some of the natives on this forum. But, I feel like a native since most of my life has been here, and yeah I'm very alarmed at the growing numbers now arriving. My parents did bail from the east coast back in the early 50s and settled here in Richmond Beach for a little over a year before my Pop was transferred to the Bay Area where I grew up. I think this is why I came back.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 9:53 am 
nickmtn wrote:
Born in Minnesota back in 1986. Moved here with my wife to be closer to the mountains
Minnesota is surely close enough to Seattle's former scandihoovian flavor, so I vote to give you a pass. up.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 10:03 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
The bright spot, the locals tell me I fit in better than many of the other transplants busy playing the "run from what you made, and then bring it with you to your new spot" game. If it's so much better and smarter in Boston or LA, then stay there.
That's it, oh and I moved here with the dream that all was like a Disney movie so that's what I'm going to turn it into--after finding out it isn't like they imagined. Lot of that moved here.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 10:37 am 
Washington natives: A group of Homo sapiens born and residing in a small coastal area of the North American land mass known as Washington state. Their habitat is also populated by numerous other members of their species, but the Washington natives are easily recognized by their peculiar behavioral traits such as their strong tendency to congregate in the left lane of multi lane highways, and their attending three-hour athletic contests apparently for the sole purpose of cheering for a one-minute animated boat race. They share many of these behavioral traits with their neighbors to the south, the Oregon natives, but are distinguished from them by their strong preference for an extremely regressive state tax system.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 10:43 am 
You can distinguish our friends to the S by their ingrained habit of driving 55 on any two lane highway, regardless of signage to the contrary. Also easily stymied by the impenetrable mysteries of operating a self serve gas pump. In addition, noted for their intuitive understanding of the lies perpetrated in service of a 'minimal sales tax', something that comes up as often in Oregon as the same arguments perpetrated in WA in service of a 'minimal income tax' smile.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 10:54 am 
could do another another entire thread on driving gripes. the 478th

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 1:24 pm 
I wonder what Emmett Watson would have to say about this thread -- likely something along the lines of Keep the Bastards Out (if he had lived until the internet era)

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 1:45 pm 
^ Fortunately not everyone agreed with the late Mr. Watson.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 2:31 pm 
Born in Redmond, raised in Issaquah, Now live in Woodinville after 4 years in Pullman and 1 in Olympia. I will never leave and can't understand why anyone would want to.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 2:56 pm 
1984 from Memphis, TN - Climbed Rainier the first summer here in Mom's expensive down jacket which had never been out of her closet. It took me 32 years to come home. And Archimedes does not have a lever long enough. . . .

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler