Forum Index > Gear Talk > Here's the Jacket I seek.....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
OlyBoots

OlyBoots
PostTue Mar 28, 2017 5:41 pm 
After a day of hauling, I chill when I stop, and I chill too much. I need a jacket which is... -hooded -down. Or the best and most compact synthetic. -waterproof. Don't want to have to haul on a shell. This is necessary. -warm on those summer nasty wet days, maybe 40 degrees (Olys) high up. -packable in its own pocket, if perfect. Willing to pay. Can't haul my ass into the SB no more to warm up. Pacific fronts occur all year long 'round here, just less frequent in the summer.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostTue Mar 28, 2017 7:56 pm 
Nunatak Skaha Hoodie I am awaiting mine with Xtra Tall collar (no hood), longer back, Apex 3.6 in the body, 2.5 in the arms, Robic WPB shell, handwarmer pocket and inside zip pocket.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Mar 28, 2017 8:45 pm 
I have this LL Bean Down Sweater that has a Pertex waterproof outer fabric and a treated down. Available in Talls!! It's fine for warmth in a light rain. I wouldnt pick any insulated layer in a downpour.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Mar 29, 2017 8:15 am 
OlyBoots wrote:
-down. Or the best and most compact synthetic. -waterproof. Don't want to have to haul on a shell. This is necessary. -warm on those summer nasty wet days, maybe 40 degrees (Olys) high up.
Down is the best insulator for cold temps (<20F) but the incorrect choice for temps above freezing. I never pack down unless I expect temps 10F or colder. IME, next-to-skin semi-VB is the only way to avoid the only way to avoid chilling in 40F rain without ending up with a bunch of soaking wet clothing by the end of the day. See previous threads re semi-VBs, e.g., this one. Put a shell over the semi-FB at rainy breaks and you'll stay warm. Get a Patagonia Nano-Air puff to layer on top at extended stops or dry stops to cook semi-VB dry.

jared_j

jared_j
PostThu Mar 30, 2017 1:37 pm 
Feathered Friends might be willing to do a custom version of their lightweight Eos in Pertex Shield (claimed to waterproof breathable). This seems like a high cost to pay if your primary aim is to avoid layering a shell over it, but to each their own. I generally favor synthetic for summer temps around here as BigSteve suggests, especially on multiday trips.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Mar 30, 2017 3:01 pm 
maybe this will work for you. I have one and it works well over an amazing range of conditions: http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?country=us&language=en&gender=Mens&category=Insulated_Jackets&model=Fission-SL-Jacket

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
spamfoote

spamfoote
PostThu Mar 30, 2017 5:58 pm 
Patagonia has several choices. Use their web page. Local: Feathered Friends, hood check, waterproof.... well outside layer check, rolls into its own pocket, check. Helios Hooded is a tight fit and a bit short, so get EXTRA EXTRA large, or just custom order it when in the Seattle Store, they will custom to your body, no problem and with waterproof fabric. Since you want waterproof, will probably dump you to the Volant Jacket. Though it is even warmer. Honestly, can find what you are looking for at Burlington coat factory with all those cheap imports. Might not be the lightest, but would work.