Forum Index > Gear Talk > Hiking pants
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon May 19, 2014 11:35 am 
no, I haven't waxed or washed them yet. I wanted to put some miles on them and beat the crap out of them to see how they performed out of the box. spent about three hours crashing around in the rain down at Pt. Defiance through the brush- here's the a photo I took when I got back to the truck - you can see the water beading up a bit on the upper thighs. I was actually kind of surprised they kept me dry.
pt_defiance_050914_06
pt_defiance_050914_06
last week up on the Sams I spent quite a while slithering under and over blowdowns - wish I'd remembered to put my gloves on - it was a last-minute decision to take them - I was going to take the REI Safaris - figured I'd cook in the Fjallravens, but the vents allowed just enough air in to make them tolerable. they're pretty muddy now. I'm going to run them through the washing machine on delicate with a bit of "NikWax TechWash" and let them line dry. the lady at Fjallraven said that would work, and hopefully not wash out the factory wax. if not, I've got two cakes of that wax and a good heat gun.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dustin Gent

Dustin Gent
PostTue Jul 22, 2014 4:31 pm 
I have bushwhacked many miles in my Columbia Royce Peak pants, and they come clean every time. I run warm naturally, and these pants are my favorite ones! They are about $60 or so. My next favorite are the PRana Zion, which coincidentally Columbia bought this past spring. Arcteryx and Patagonia make some amazing pants as well!

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Jul 29, 2014 10:39 am 
Value Village. Single layer nylon warmup pants. MUST be able to slip over boots. Drawstring waist. Preferably with a wide gusset at bottom that fits over the boot and sheds water/dirt, not the narrow elastic zippered cuff. Mine has a big velcro gusset (better, harder to find, REI label), $5; 2 dozen surgical tape repairs (well-loved).

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Apr 06, 2017 7:07 pm 
Ski wrote:
have no doubt I'll get far more mileage from the Fjallravens...
That's what I hear.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Apr 06, 2017 9:05 pm 
^ Note that her Fallraven "Barents" and "Karla" trousers do not have the size zipper vents, which is one of the reasons I went with the "Keb" model. I would have guessed that I'd broil in them - that first outing up Sams was in 90° F heat - and they were fine. Unfortunately they do not break open at the cuff, so you have to sit down and take your boots off to get the pants off, which can pose some inconvenience at stream crossings.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostWed Oct 23, 2019 8:11 pm 
I have been wearing some Tru Spec tactical pants that I have modified with ankle Velcro tabs and Tasman knee patches and they work great,but I’m thinking about moving up to Fjall Raven Vida Pro pants.

currently looking for backpacking partners for next may for a week in the trinity alps,asnd some other trips and help on a book that will involve tons of camping
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Oct 29, 2019 2:00 pm 
They need to be tapered and tight.

kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostWed Oct 30, 2019 1:27 pm 
Just tried out a pair of FjallRaven pants size 36 W med length. The fit is good and I think they are going to work.

currently looking for backpacking partners for next may for a week in the trinity alps,asnd some other trips and help on a book that will involve tons of camping
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Nov 25, 2019 6:42 am 
Kuiu pants simply the best