Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Thinned vs Unthinned and the Rail Fire
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostMon Apr 10, 2017 10:40 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
They did some burns on Rattlesnake creek above Nile last fall too.
We burned around 1000 acres last year in the rattlesnake which was really good. Finally was able to burn in the summer months which was nice and what that area needs. A lot of pondos didn't make it, but overall it is looking good up there this early spring. More burning the better up there. There's going to be more burning in the Nile this year where logging has occurred the last few years and on the backside of clemans. There's still thousands of piles up pine grass on the white pass side, but it seems like time i's never there in the fall to burn the piles. It's either too dry or it gets to wet in a hurry.

Have I offended you today?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostMon Apr 10, 2017 10:48 pm 
Ski wrote:
^ Well.... if they're not going to cut it, they should probably be doing burns all up and down that valley from the confluence of the American and the Little Naches down to Nile - it's a tinderbox from about June until mid-September. The scorched trunks on those Ponderosas are pretty good evidence the area's seen lots of fire historically. I posted a blurb about the Oak Creek management plan public hearing coming up on the 11th of this month here somewhere in the Stewardship forum. Don't know if burns are going to come up on that one or not.
It would be nice to see the nile logged and burned again. Little Naches too, but it probably won't happen like it should. We really need that 50,000 to 150,000 acre fire down here to rip through the LSR areas. In regards to Oak Creek, burning up there will take a long time. The state has put some effort into burning up there the last few years, but haven't lit torches yet.

Have I offended you today?
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Apr 11, 2017 11:59 am 
^ The lower end of the Oak Creek drainage burned some time back - maybe 15-20 years ago (?). Recovery was pretty mind-boggling; all that wild rose came back. There might be some objections to burning up the Little Naches because of the user constituencies involved, but I would more than agree with your statement there. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Apr 13, 2017 7:55 pm 
I've seen more acceptance of burns lately with the impact of years of poor management showing up so starkly in the massive fires in the last few years. I suspect maybe the constituencies you're thinking of might not be as opposed as one might think.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers