Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Grizzly Bear Restoration in North Cascades
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Apr 01, 2017 6:39 am 
Everybody will be required to carry their lunches in bear proof containers, cuz we need more rules.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostSun Apr 02, 2017 11:15 am 
I'm sure the NPS will be happy to rent you a canister for a nominal fee...

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon Apr 03, 2017 11:19 am 
JACKSON, Wyo. (AP) — Grizzly bears continue to expand their range amid an ongoing effort to turn over management of the bears from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to the states of Wyoming, Montana and Idaho, a federal official said. "We've seen an 11 percent change in increasing range in just a couple of years," Frank van Manen, head scientist of the Interagency Grizzly Bear Study Team, said last week at a meeting in Jackson. Since coming under the protection of the Endangered Species Act, grizzlies have steadily expanded their habitat outward from the population's core in Yellowstone National Park. The fringes of the grizzly range, van Manen said, are typically occupied by dispersing young boar bruins. Typically, he said, there's a multiyear lag before female bears will fill in territories already settled by males. "Given what we've seen in the Wind River Range (with male bears), I wouldn't be surprised if females were close behind within a matter of five years," van Manen said. The Wind River Range is located in west-central Wyoming, southeast of Yellowstone. Van Manen anticipated continued expansion into the Wyoming Range, a livestock-dense landscape where he said bear conflicts with livestock and humans are inevitable. "Bears are simply entering a landscape where the potential for conflict is greater," he said. Twenty-seven percent of grizzly range within the region is now outside a "demographic monitoring area" where bear numbers are assessed annually. The population of grizzlies within the monitoring area has fallen for two consecutive years, from about 750 animals to 690. But van Manen noted that grizzly numbers outside the monitoring area are not counted and said he is confident the population is now at the highest point in decades. "Since listing, there's no doubt that we are now at a point that we have the largest population size," he told the Jackson Hole News & Guide (http://bit.ly/2ojQzQN). Center for Biological Diversity attorney Andrea Santarsieri said that he was concerned by the decline in grizzly numbers, and worried that hunting could soon occur near the Yellowstone and Grand Teton park boundaries if states gain management authority. "We are made to believe that hunting and management are synonymous," Santarsieri said. "I would say that they're not. Agencies here are touting a recovered population, and we got where we are today without hunting." A final rule to delist the Yellowstone-area grizzly bear as a federally protected endangered species will be released as early as June, federal officials said at the meeting. ___ Information from: Jackson Hole (Wyo.) News And Guide, http://www.jhnewsandguide.com

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostFri Apr 14, 2017 12:26 pm 
New from the Farm Bureau: http://www.capitalpress.com/Livestock/20170413/farm-bureau-to-feds-dont-bring-griz-to-north-cascades Farm Bureau to feds: Don’t bring griz to North Cascades

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSun Apr 16, 2017 1:56 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
New from the Farm Bureau: http://www.capitalpress.com/Livestock/20170413/farm-bureau-to-feds-dont-bring-griz-to-north-cascades Farm Bureau to feds: Don’t bring griz to North Cascades
Love the picture they chose, LOL.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
drm

drm
PostSun Apr 16, 2017 4:46 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
That article says
Quote:
Since the agencies say grizzly bears are unlikely to return to Washington on their own

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 8:25 pm 
Here's video. I haven't bothered to check if it has been posted here.
Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Chico

Chico
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 1:36 pm 
drm wrote:
That article says
Quote:
Since the agencies say grizzly bears are unlikely to return to Washington on their own
Since the bears know something about the habitat that we humans (or those wanting to bring them in), choose to ignore. Or perhaps we are so clueless when it comes to Mother Nature we simply can't read the signs.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 3:27 pm 
Chico wrote:
drm wrote:
That article says
Quote:
Since the bears know something about the habitat that we humans (or those wanting to bring them in), choose to ignore. Or perhaps we are so clueless when it comes to Mother Nature we simply can't read the signs.
Or maybe we humans now know better how to properly manage species like the grizzly bear when reintroducing them to their former range. You know, like how we introduced hybridized domesticated cattle into areas they could not otherwise live naturally. Or perhaps we are so clueless about our own impact on the rest of nature we think that what we have now is the way it is supposed to be. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 6:35 pm 
If they show up on their own, great. If not, don't import problems.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 6:52 pm 
.... still wondering how they support the claim that Grizzly Bears were living in the North Cascades 20,000 years ago when the Cordilleran Ice Sheet was still covering the entire northwest. .... maybe they were ice-fishing bears?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jun 14, 2017 8:55 am 
Ski wrote:
.... still wondering how they support the claim that Grizzly Bears were living in the North Cascades 20,000 years ago when the Cordilleran Ice Sheet was still covering the entire northwest. .... maybe they were ice-fishing bears?
They ate snowberries. ( Parhrump and cymbal crash)

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jun 14, 2017 10:45 am 
Ski wrote:
Good catch, ski. I didn't notice that.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Jun 14, 2017 12:09 pm 
Ski wrote:
.... still wondering how they support the claim that Grizzly Bears were living in the North Cascades 20,000 years ago when the Cordilleran Ice Sheet was still covering the entire northwest.
Maybe they are referring to the area between the Puget Lobe and the Okanogan Lobe of the Cordilleran Ice Sheet, which is considered the North Cascades.
Rumi

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jun 14, 2017 1:25 pm 
maybe. or.... maybe like so many other baseless assertions made by Center for Biological Diversity, they're just following their usual pattern of just making stuff up as they go along. where have they provided archaeological evidence to support such a claim? the larger question, though, is why these people are allowed to continue to spout the kind of nonsense that they do, and virtually nobody questions the veracity of their claims?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."