Forum Index > Food & Grub > Have you tried Mary Jane, Alpenaire, Good to Go?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostSun Apr 02, 2017 2:41 pm 
I've used Mary Jane for the last several years and have a number of meals I like, but was wondering about Alpenaire and Good To Go to see if there were some highly recommended choices?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostSun Apr 02, 2017 11:22 pm 
Mary Jane gives you the munchies? Cheetos work good.

Brockton

Brockton
PostMon Apr 03, 2017 12:47 pm 
I bought a couple of Good to Go Thai Curries from REI for a trip last summer. When my hiking partner ate his at camp one night, I tried a bite and was underwhelmed. I did notice that it was full of broccoli and veggies and seemed healthier than everything else we had been eating. I never ate mine on that trip and thought about returning it to REI. I cooked it up at home one day, though, and found it quite tasty, just sitting in my kitchen. I guess I just wasn't in the mood for it that night in camp. I would get it again, especially if I'm looking for a good rice and veggies alternative. It's a big portion. They claim double and I would call it at least a meal portion and a half. My friend took a while to finish his in camp.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Apr 04, 2017 1:24 pm 
I've had two of the Good To Go meals. I liked the Thai Curry though the portion size is gigantic for one. They sell a smaller meal online but not at REI. I also tried their chili and didn't like it. It was kind of sweet and not too chili-like. You can also make something similar to the curry easily yourself. Minute / instant rice, dried veggies, powdered coconut cream, and curry paste. Just add hot water. You can get the coconut cream powder and curry paste at any Asian grocery store.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Apr 17, 2017 5:57 pm 
Also consider Packit Gourmet.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Apr 19, 2017 1:35 pm 
Ringangleclaw wrote:
Mary Jane gives you the munchies?
That was my first thought given the thread title. Rumor has it that Mary Jane can make even Alpenaire seem pretty worth chowing down...

Walkin' Fool

Walkin' Fool
PostMon May 01, 2017 5:13 pm 
Good to Go: Marinara penne is fine; mushroom risotto tastes good but the 1 time I made it, it had a crazy gloopy consistency - maybe I didn't stir enough/stirred too much. Alpinaire: Quinoa pilaf w/hemp is surprisingly good; Santa Fe black beans & rice has no flavor. By far my favorite prepackaged food like that is the Louisiana red beans & rice from Backpacker's Pantry. Legitimately delicious. It's a huge serving, so it's great to split for 2 people and also bring a couple tortillas: each person gets one fat burrito and there's still about 1/3 left to split after!