Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Hyak, Divide Lake - 4/21/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostFri Apr 21, 2017 4:53 pm 
I went after some low-hanging fruit today up at the now-closed Snoqualmie ski area, starting at Summit Central. I skinned up Golden Nugget to Divide Lake, which was a little underwhelming. The snow was a little crunchy up top still but for the most part it was pretty good skiing. After a few laps I headed over to Hyak. Summit Central was relatively quiet but over at Hyak there were about a dozen skiers. I skinned up Hyak face to the summit, and then skied down the backside to Hidden Valley. Ski conditions were great so I was compelled to do a whole bunch of laps. After wearing myself out on the backside of Hyak I skied back down Hyak face, which was amazing aside from have to dodge piles of dog sh-t all over the place. Very sunny and very hot. Spent most of the day in a t-shirt. Should have worn shorts. Near perfect spring corn and tremendous views. About 7K vertical overall.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 21, 2017 7:34 pm 
Nice! How are those Vipec's working for you? Which version are they?

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostFri Apr 21, 2017 8:22 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
How are those Vipec's working for you? Which version are they?
They're the 2014/2015 version, and I like them a whole lot. I particularly like the lateral toe release. I wish they came stock with leashes rather than brakes, but there's a leash kit that can be purchased separately.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Apr 22, 2017 5:26 am 
Thanks, I have the same year. I find they ski well, withba more solid feel than "Speed Turns". The brakes are convenient for lift skiing, particularly for gondolas and trams. I have found the brakes less than satisfactory while skinning, popping up and then dragging. I only have about 20 days on mine, durability remains to be seen. For leashes, the B and D ski gear leash is far superior to any others I've used.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Apr 22, 2017 11:19 pm 
Nice! And yes, my BnD leashes have served me quite well for years. Easy to use (including not having to take them off to do things like put skins on our taking sitting breaks next to the skis) and a reliable breakaway connection.