Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Apr 03, 2017 9:47 am 
Howls Moving Castle was freaking amazing. Perhaps the most visually dense Miyazaki I've seen in places, and that's saying something. The steampunk look of the flying machines is amazing, the story wanders a bit and is not the most focused ever, but the characters are great and the moving castle is cool as hell. Loved it.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ree

ree
PostWed Apr 05, 2017 3:04 pm 
We went to a screening last weekend of "Ghost In the Shell". It was in 3D. Wall to wall visual effects, very cool stuff, esp in 3D. Plot was pretty average. Kind of anime type of feel. If you are a Scarlett Johanssen fan, you will love all her nakedness. Interesting collaboration between Dreamworks and China...

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Apr 05, 2017 3:22 pm 
ree wrote:
Kind of anime type of feel.
There was an earlier anime version of it (1995) based off a manga comic.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Apr 05, 2017 3:34 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Howls Moving Castle was freaking amazing.
It's even more awesome in the original Japanese with subtitles. wink.gif ~z

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Apr 06, 2017 9:44 am 
not biting. I want to look at the visuals, not be reading text! I'm on a jag, just ordered Totoro and Castle in The Sky. Dubbed. tongue.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Apr 13, 2017 1:56 pm 
I watched "Moana" recently. It was okay, but not up to Disney's usual standards. I liked the main character, but the Dwayne Johnson voiced demigod Maui I found to be more annoying than likeable or endearing. And the rest of the characters were totally lacking, just not much there. The songs I found to be too frequent and completely forgettable. I think it was supposed to be a big deal because the guy from the musical "Hamilton" wrote some of the songs, but they didn't do anything for me. So anyway it wasn't bad but I don't think it warrants repeat viewing as far as I'm concerned. I've watched some of the other recent Disney animated films like "Wreck it Ralph" and "Big Hero 6" repeatedly.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Apr 14, 2017 1:57 pm 
This looks really interesting and funny. I don't usually enjoy watching conflict, but this seems to be scripted very well and for a good cause. Salma Hayek's character looks feisty and a wealthy family gets its comeuppance. ~z

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Apr 14, 2017 6:08 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
not biting. I want to look at the visuals, not be reading text!
There are english dubbed versions out there. I'm generally not a big fan of Anime, but Ghost in the Shell is pretty great - I've heard most of the fans of the original were not impressed with the live action adaptation.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Apr 20, 2017 10:59 pm 
I got "Miss Sloane" from Netflix, wasn't all that excited about it but watched it tonight. Very well done. A number of strong acting performances. Political thriller about the lobbyist industry. Certainly not a documentary so it might be fairly far fetched, but I have no doubt all kinds of shenanigans go on back there in D.C. between the lobbyists and the politicians. Jessica Chastain is always good. So is Mark Strong. Several others as well. I'm a big fan of the BBC show "Orphan Black" so of course I'm a fan of it's star who famously plays about a half-dozen different roles Tatiana Maslany. She hasn't really hit it big in Hollywood so far, but she's been in a number of small indie films. Checked out one of those pretty much entirely because she's in it--"Cas & Dylan" Quirky oddball friendship road trip dramedy. Richard Dreyfuss was the other principal actor. Took a while to get going but I enjoyed it. Also featured some stunning Canadian Rockies eye candy in the background.

Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostSun Apr 23, 2017 7:36 pm 
I saw "Gifted" today in theatres and really enjoyed it (after electing to see it over "Fate of the Furious"). Chris Evans (Capt America) plays the lead role along with McKenna Grace from "Designated Survivor" and Octavia Spencer. It tells a great story and even has some funny moments too.

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 2:22 pm 
Fate of the Furious (FF8): up.gif Was worth seeing, had a few genuine outburst laughs. I liked FF7 better, however this one was still a lot of fun. Absolutely loved Dom using the island's trashiest car, modding it to be raceable against a street racer. The story finally made sense later on, however was not entirely convincing.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 4:50 pm 
Josh Lewis wrote:
Fate of the Furious (FF8): up.gif Was worth seeing, had a few genuine outburst laughs. I liked FF7 better, however this one was still a lot of fun. Absolutely loved Dom using the island's trashiest car, modding it to be raceable against a street racer. The story finally made sense later on, however was not entirely convincing.
Have seen all the others. Probably wait for DVD for #8. The 20 minute long sequence w/ a huge military cargo plane trying to take off (that was a REALLY long runway!) was pretty over the top. They've taken on tanks. Looks like in the latest one they take on a nuclear submarine. What's left? Aircraft carrier--I'm calling it!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 4:55 pm 
Watched "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" last night. Fairly entertaining. I'm not really an Eddie Redmayne fan. I think he's overrated as an actor, and he's just so weird looking he creeps me out. But I liked everybody else in the cast. I really like Dan Fogler, Colin Ferrell was good, Katherine Waterston and Alison Sudol (Seattle born, formerly a pop singer performing under the stage name A Fine Frenzy) were enjoyable. And now I want a pet niffler, anybody know where I can get one?

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 11:56 pm 
"The Girl With All the Gifts" was a very different take on the zombie apocalypse. Quite intriguing. Gemma Arterton is in it which is never a bad thing. Strong performance by a young actress that played one of the infected that was not your usual zombie.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostFri Apr 28, 2017 11:15 pm 
They Live (1988) up.gif up.gif Just watched it last night for the first time. Would have been good even without an ounce of action. I picked up a pair of the main character's glasses in 2016 for the first time, quite scary. "The golden rule. He who has the gold makes the rules"