Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > save the griz kill the bison
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSat Apr 08, 2017 6:32 pm 
So how does the wolf debate fit into this situation?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
trestle

trestle
PostSun Apr 09, 2017 7:46 am 
There's likely a vet or two on staff with YNP, might try contacting them directly through the typical NPS channels.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Apr 09, 2017 9:49 am 
Here ya go for a start. Montucky Vets

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
cefire

cefire
PostMon Apr 10, 2017 4:38 pm 
There is a genuine problem of bison overpopulation in the winter/spring - the grazing areas are pretty well used up. As long as a population with viable genetic diversity is maintained in YNP, I'm entirely onboard with culling. At this juncture, the most important thing to do would be to increase the acreage that are unfenced/open to bison. A difficult problem to take on though!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Apr 10, 2017 5:19 pm 
cefire wrote:
A difficult problem to take on though!
Not if you killed all the cows.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Klapton

Klapton
PostTue Apr 11, 2017 1:58 pm 
Ski wrote:
cefire wrote:
A difficult problem to take on though!
I say we eat whichever seems tastier.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Apr 11, 2017 4:55 pm 
I don't know about "tastier", but from what I hear buffalo is supposedly better (in terms of fat and cholesterol) than beef. Might not require the millions of tons of antibiotics that they feed cattle, either. Maybe I should try some out... Tatanka Take Out is only a few blocks from my house, but it looks like they just do mostly burgers. I never have been a big "burger fan". Never did get an answer from that outfit in Montana. Maybe they're still trying to dig up evidence that their claims have some basis in fact. lol.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
cefire

cefire
PostThu Apr 13, 2017 9:25 am 
The cows aren't the real challenge, it is private land ownership, free-roaming animals, and the fragmentation of land. Worked with NCPA when I lived in Montana trying to reduce fencing (and increase migration corridors) for pronghorn. It is difficult business and all power is with the land-owner. Now imagine free-roaming bison and all of the problems (e.g., car accidents) that will inevitably crop up. As much as folks want to reduce the convo to cattle farming, there's not as much "beef" to it. The real issues are how we allocate land.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Apr 13, 2017 12:43 pm 
^ I'm not so sure about that. Besides, you didn't take my comment above at face value. You tried to read something into it.
Ski, in a post just above wrote:
Note the word "all". All means all: every last one of them, including all of the "sacred cows". My understanding is that the reason Iceland was deforested was because of cows. Unless I've been misinformed, cows are one of the main reasons they're mowing down the Amazon rain forest. I would submit the planet would be better off if we just killed them all off. Besides, they're too stupid to be breathing perfectly good oxygen; a waste of good air.

Klapton

Klapton
PostFri Apr 14, 2017 12:34 pm 
Ski wrote:
^ I'm not so sure about that. Besides, you didn't take my comment above at face value. You tried to read something into it.
Ski, in a post just above wrote:
Note the word "all". All means all: every last one of them, including all of the "sacred cows". My understanding is that the reason Iceland was deforested was because of cows. Unless I've been misinformed, cows are one of the main reasons they're mowing down the Amazon rain forest. I would submit the planet would be better off if we just killed them all off. Besides, they're too stupid to be breathing perfectly good oxygen; a waste of good air.
So... You support the deliberate extinction of a species? Not very Stewardy. But let's say people stopped breeding and feeding them for the purpose of eating them. Let them into the wild somewhere and see how they do or something? Even if that did happen, it is likely that some other unsustainable agriculture will take its place, because people still need to eat. And cutting down a forest, selling the trees / lumber is still probably the most profitable way to acquire farm land there. And cows are yummy, so I plan to continue eating them, even if I have to raise my own. Hmmm... Maybe THAT is the real answer? Humans should produce their own food rather than an having an industry provide it?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Apr 14, 2017 2:59 pm 
They did run around in the wild before they killed them all off... but those were Aurochs, so the nit-pickers would probably want to call them a different species... but cows are cows: big and stupid. Yeah... I guess I'd support the extinction of an entire species if it was cows. I just don't see that proverbial "trophic cascade" thing happening in their absence. Maybe I'm missing something... would the dung beetle populations suffer? And while beef can indeed be tasty, lamb is way mo' betta and dumb sheep don't take up nearly as much space as dumb cows, so you'd have more room for bison. It's a win-win! So yeah: kill all the cows. Works for me.

cefire

cefire
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 1:49 pm 
Ski wrote:
Unless I've been misinformed, cows are one of the main reasons they're mowing down the Amazon rain forest. I would submit the planet would be better off if we just killed them all off.
No disagreement there. I thought this thread was about whether there is a need to cull the current bison population?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Apr 27, 2017 5:21 pm 
hmmmmm it was? make a note: this is the first time in the history of the internet a discussion thread has veered off topic. Sorry, I fail to understand how there could be "too many bison" when the Great Plains once supported populations of them that were in the millions. Moreover, as mentioned above, apparently they're better eatin' than cows, and there does exist the possibility they're not quite as stupid. Cows, on the other hand, are not indigenous to the Western Hemisphere. That in and of itself should be valid enough argument for their total extermination.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Apr 27, 2017 5:24 pm 
by the way... just in case you haven't figured it out yet: For the record: I hate cows. If you've ever been around cows, if you've ever had cows crap on your front porch, if you've ever had cows eat your vegetable garden and your rhododendrons, if you've ever had a bunch of cows trample the bank along the river and crap in your kid's swimming hole, maybe you'd understand better. Kill all the cows.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon May 01, 2017 5:36 am 
I will gently disagree. I have been thankful for cows. After a day of working on steep hillsides, it is nice to run into a well packed cow trail that leads back to the truck. Think of a trail vs more side hill groping. Cows, like elk, can make nice trails and burgers, but they cannot log out their trails.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities