Forum Index > Trip Reports > Blodgett Canyon (Montana)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
markweth

markweth
PostTue Apr 25, 2017 6:36 pm 
Went on a short overnight trip in Blodgett Canyon, one of the many gems of the Bitterroot Mountains in Montana. I was only able to make it about 6 miles up the canyon before camping at a rushing cascade, continuing on would've required more postholing than I wanted to commit to. I didn't have any luck fishing on the way in, but on the way out I caught two small cutthroats on dry flies -- my first of the year!
Bitterroot National Forest, Montana.
A good hike to whet my appetite for backpacking, but it will still be several months here before the high country really opens up.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Apr 25, 2017 6:42 pm 
up.gif I've been there. Cool place! I think it's a rock climber's paradise, w/ both sides of the canyon lined w/ granite towers and cliffs. On my visit there was a young moose crashing thru the brush along a creek right by the trail head when I was starting.

SKS

SKS
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 7:33 am 
I've looked at that area as a possible destination a couple years ago but opted for Fish and Lookout lakes further south. That's a beautiful area! Thanks for the report.

Bugs

Bugs
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 1:13 pm 
Oh MAAAN! Home sweet home. I miss that place. Did first ascents on all three of those buttresses. Spent untold days climbing all over the broot. Blodgett definitely holds the photo-op award.

Always out there.
Bugs

Bugs
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 1:15 pm 
Did you see the natural arch just upstream and across from Flathead? It is about 1000 ft above the creek. Climbed that too. There isn't much in that valley that we didn't climb.........

Always out there.
markweth

markweth
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 2:39 pm 
Yep! I love the views of that arch from the valley. Here's a picture of the arch and a few others:
I have yet to climb in the Bitterroots (moved here December 2014) but have done a fair amount of backpacking. My first backpacking trip in the Bitterroots was on snowshoes up Blodgett in January 2015, camped near the first waterfall past the bridge. That's awesome you did first ascents on those buttresses, and I'm really curious about the arch! I'm a huge fan of natural arches (did a lot of bushwhacking to obscure sandstone arches in Tennessee and Kentucky when I lived in the Southeast) and have been drawn to that one since moving to Montana. If your standards aren't too high, would a person be able to camp up at the arch (hauling up water)? Thanks.

Bugs

Bugs
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 2:48 pm 
Cool! Thanks for the photo! I do not remember a flat spot up there for sure. It has been at least 30 years since I was up there. But I would bet that there is at least enough room to lay out a pad and sleeping bag in the arch or nearby. Your photo seems to confirm that. Water could be a problem after June. But at least the ticks are less plentiful on that side of the valley.....

Always out there.
Bugs

Bugs
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 2:50 pm 
I climbed the right side and rappelled off the horn right off the top.

Always out there.
Bugs

Bugs
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 2:54 pm 
The lower reaches of the canyons are gneiss. The irregularities in quality and formations can be difficult to master. But the upper reaches are pure granite with all the predictability that provides (minus alpine effects). The buttresses in the picture, Flathead, Shoshone and Nez Pierce', have some weak bands in them. The arch area is true granite.

Always out there.
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostFri Apr 28, 2017 3:04 am 
I've only looked up Blodgett, zooming by on the highway. Here's a decent link explaining the connection to Norman Maclean's collection of short stories contained in the River Runs Thru It anthology: http://ravallirepublic.com/news/article_cdab3e4d-8180-59fb-8f35-384f15a469d4.html Tom

Bugs

Bugs
PostFri Apr 28, 2017 7:29 am 
I read that story on the way home from fighting fires in PA in 1988. When I finished the story I looked out the window and realized we were flying over Blodgett canyon. The difference in the experiences of fighting fire for the Forest Service was quite striking. I was 10,000 ft above the canyon Norm had walked out.

Always out there.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Apr 28, 2017 12:57 pm 
Thanks for the report. I used to climb there fairly regularly and I do miss the dramatic granite spires and towers up there. What I also remember was a plethora of ticks...herds of them. We usually had to stop every 1/2 hour or so and pick them off before they found their way to soft skin. Nice pictures!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.