Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Rep. Chaffetz to step down in 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 1:35 pm 
^ A good point, and something for me (who's always in favor protecting the land from human exploitation) to ponder on. Excuse this following "fly by" comment: It seems to me that an equitable compromise should be struck with the locals who already live and earn a living there, to allow then to continue to do so with minimal disruption to their lives, while also protecting the land and wildlife from additional impact.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 1:41 pm 
It was interesting that when Chaffetz held an open house in his district earlier this year, the media concentrated on those hollering at him to "do your job" in investigating Trump's conflicts of interest. However, photos and TV clips showed nearly everyone carrying signs reading "preserve our public lands." Evidently the Utah politicians also don't care about the local average citizens who make a living from tourists coming from all over the world, the ocal Indian tribes, or even losing the big twice yearly Outdoor Retailer show. It's the cattle interests and the extractive industries who (as mentioned above) pay the big bucks. Nothing new; I grew up in Wyoming and you hear the same messages from the politicians there.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
trestle

trestle
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 1:43 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
No one is arguing for a return to the 19th century practices of dig n run.
There is a whole group of people proposing more-or-less exactly that. Obviously not in those words but the sentiment is still there.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 2:00 pm 
drm wrote:
The transition from a resource economy to a tourism economy is fraught with difficulty. Unless you get to be some kind of outdoor guide, moving from working the land to working in a hotel or restaurant is not necessarily a welcome change.
A lot of the locals around places like Escalante and Boulder who like the changes aren't guides or outfitters - but they may be for instance carpenters (who seem to enjoy getting gigs building new homes, some of which are second homes for out-of-staters who see the Monument as a great local amenity) or shop-keepers who now have more customers. To be sure there are people who are pissed they lost rangeland, motorized playground s pace, etc. or who just don't like the new buzz around them. But if you look into things like the economic analysis that was done here, and read what local folks have to say, it becomes clear the local "boom" isn't just about jobs for outfitter/guide types. There is a range of new opportunities that many long-timers as well as newcomers appreciate.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 2:27 pm 
trestle wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
No one is arguing for a return to the 19th century practices of dig n run.
There is a whole group of people proposing more-or-less exactly that. Obviously not in those words but the sentiment is still there.
I disagree. I don't see anyone proposing that. I don't see anyone asking to be free of bonded remediation, site regulation, restoration or even free of working with the tribes to insure cultural sites are not damaged. I don't trust arguments which attribute things to other people they never actually said. It's an amazing space to claim all kinds of things for people they never actually said, don't actually believe, or don't even want, because it fits a claimants arguments. So the upshot here is, I'm willing to be convinced...but it requires actual words from the people being criticized.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
trestle

trestle
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 3:41 pm 
Apparently you haven't read Rob Bishop's Public Lands Initiative. Nor paid any attention to the things he has actually done. And you must not be bothered by the appointment of Scott Pruitt to head of EPA (oh here comes the uranium spill canard). Wait a minute...aren't you the guy who has spent 400+ pages arguing about climate change?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 3:48 pm 
trestle wrote:
Apparently you haven't read Rob Bishop's Public Lands Initiative. Nor paid any attention to the things he has actually done. And you must not be bothered by the appointment of Scott Pruitt to head of EPA (oh here comes the uranium spill canard). Wait a minute...aren't you the guy who has spent 400+ pages arguing about climate change?
While I appreciate the bail out from logically valid arguments from your perspective due to the apparent weakness of your claims, I'd still like to see the evidence I asked for. *Actual* statements from the folks you're criticizing, showing in their own words and intentions, the things I said no one wanted. Since you know so much about the resources and people you mention, getting the evidence of their actual desires, not the ones you claim for them in the absence of actual evidence, should be trivial. Why am *I* supposed to dig for what I claim doesn't exist to begin with, while you evade presenting actual evidence of the desire to do dastardly deeds? I see evidence of a visceral rather than logical take on my arguments as well as those of the folks you're criticizing.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
trestle

trestle
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 3:51 pm 
It would be just as trivial for me to provide you with what can be so easily found. What bail out are you talking about? You asked for evidence, I referenced. Do you actually need a quote with date, name, and time?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 3:52 pm 
It doesn't exist. They do not want to do the things I mentioned.

trestle

trestle
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 3:59 pm 
Sure. OK. You have a lot of faith in certain politicians.

trestle

trestle
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 4:03 pm 
From the Public Lands Initiative:
Quote:
Utah may establish a program covering the permitting processes, regulatory requirements, and any other provisions by which it would exercise its rights to develop and permit all forms of energy resources on certain available federal land.
Does this phrase give you any concern?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 4:16 pm 
trestle wrote:
From the Public Lands Initiative:
Quote:
Utah may establish a program covering the permitting processes, regulatory requirements, and any other provisions by which it would exercise its rights to develop and permit all forms of energy resources on certain available federal land.
Does this phrase give you any concern?
thank you. Not particularly no, after all one of the points would be to review the regulatory regime. At work here is what I suspect are two radically different views of what is reasonable or necessary or even desirable. Of course it's perfectly legitimate to have a position which holds that every regulatory limit being reconsidered in the act is a vital must have, for example. Obviously then, any notion that these things could be changed would probably provide concerns and a lot of them for a person holding this mindset. I can see why. But I support freeing up some of the lands locked up, and thus it is of less direct concern. Our interests are oppositional by nature in some ways, so our interpretations will be as well. I don't see anything there indicating they'd dig n run. I wouldn't support that. I doubt those legislators would either. I do appreciate you taking the time to present some material.

trestle

trestle
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 4:22 pm 
I don't have much faith in UT actually reviewing anything once the Initiative is passed.
Quote:
But I support freeing up some of the lands locked up, and thus it is of less direct concern.
Less concerned about land being locked up? This part wasn't clear. I do agree on your point about different interpretations.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 4:44 pm 
No worries, allow me to clarify. The fact that my position in the discussion is that I favor less land being locked away as wilderness, leads me to have fewer outright concerns about the section you presented while asking if I saw any concerns. Does that make more sense? I like the desert too, and the natural environment, and value cultural preservation for tribal heritage and concerns as well. And I'd only be OK with extraction which met pretty obvious standards which didn't exist back in the dig profit and run era. Don't use practices which will result in persistent degredation of the site, or foul drainages, put it back as close to how it was as possible when you're done, post bonds sizeable enough to cover these concerns if you fold, etc etc. If only we could come to agreements on how to relate both goals as best we can (extraction/use vs recreation/conservation), I think perhaps designations short of full wilderness but better than no regulation could be useful in the long run to defuse these all or nothing conflicts.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 8:29 pm 
Now he is taking leave from congress for three weeks to remove a heel spur huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn