Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rattlesnake Ridge BCRT (Blue Mountains)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...
PostTue Apr 25, 2017 7:13 pm 
A five-day (!) Washington Trails Association logout and trail clearing team in the Wenaha-Tucannon Wilderness in the lovely Blue Mountains, in the southeast corner of Washington close to the borders of Oregon and Idaho. A six-hour drive from Seattle, but well worth it. The awesome Rob summed it up beautifully, so I just plagerized his report verbatim: Had a spectacular BCRT with Randy and the sawyer leads, Jim, Dave, Tom, Bob, Paul things to love 1: The ranger station is very cush especially with the temps in the 30s in the morning 2: The leaders were awesome, everyone (leaders included), learned from the shared skills and openness to input from anyone 3: The volunteers were fun, hard working, enjoyable and generous… lots of shared coffee, crackers, peeps, donuts and stories 4: The trail work was challenging and super appreciated by local forest service staff 5: Plenty of tired muscles and no injuries 6: It only rained at night 7: There was much more logging then brushing, but we still did plenty of brushing 8: I had no idea how important Geometry and Physics are to logging 9: I learned a new meaning to the word swamp 10: The waitlist worked, picking up two excellent fill in’s the week before to keep the crew full. 11: Last but not least Randy was an exceptional group leader, he sweated the details scouting all the trails we worked on, “adzing” a log to make the river crossing on to Rattlesnake Ridge trail easy and dry (normally a ford is required). Randy keeps safety on the top of everyone’s minds. a total gem! what not to love? 1: Ticks Here is a sample of the work, first of 22 logs taken out yesterday morning before we returned to Seattle and Spokane, by a 5 person team lead by Dave and Tom. We hit the trail at 6:30am on Sunday to have time to climb up two miles and 1600’ vertical to the end of Saturdays work and get a second day of work completed before having to quit and head for home at midday.
Before
Before
After!
After!
And a few of Blowdown's photos:
Before
Before
After!
After!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 6:10 am 
What a positive experience! The before and after pics are amazing. I'm glad you had a good time. Perhaps we'll get to work together one of these days. Looks like a good time was had by all. Did Springberg behave himself? Thanks for your work, WTA rocks! cool.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Froof_D_Poof

Froof_D_Poof
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 11:03 pm 
Thanks for the great work! I love the picture of that new tread and might have to pop out there this weekend to enjoy it. up.gif Did ya'll run into much snow up high?

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Apr 27, 2017 1:23 am 
Thanks for the work by you and the whole crew. It's fun to see trails getting fixed instead of washed out or blocked by blowdown. I'm looking forward to a BCRT in July, but much closer to home.

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostThu Apr 27, 2017 9:13 am 
up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif