Forum Index > Gear Talk > Fitting Scott Excursion ski boots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 4:13 pm 
I've never handled a BCX 675, but I've read some online reviews. I also have experience with Salomon X-ADV-8 boots, which are a similar construction (but SNS-BC binding instead of 3PIN) These boots tour really well and downhill control using traditional XC methods and skiis of more traditional XC touring widths is decent. I skiied these with Madshus Glittertinds. Its a great setup for covering distance on mostly soft snow. Descending on this setup is manageable using "survival skiing" methods. When conditions are good, enjoyable linked turns are possible if you're practiced enough. However, most people buying boots in this category hoping to experience touring and telemark performance akin to sturdy leather boots feel that they fall short in the torsional stiffness department. (Or years of skiing in plastic boots have jaded their memories)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 4:30 pm 
Note that I mentioned Fischer BCX 675 for OP's Lake Superior south shore tours, which he described as his "major activity" and mostly "minor vertical, much striding." I'd much rather have a boot like a BCX 675 than a clunky plastic boot for that. I don't know of any boot that will work well for that and for "long tours in the Sierras, Beartooth," although the BCX 675 would be fine for Crater Lake circumnav, which is a road tour. It's wishful thinking that one rig will work for Lake Superior south shore rolling tours and for touring in big mountains out west, unless you're a young Steve Barnett.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 8:23 pm 
Steve Barnett? LOL. His "Best Ski Tours" was a serious subversive influence on me, got me to ski the high country of Zion, Navajo Mountain, other exotic spots like Mount Moriah (Snake Range of Nevada). Barnett would offer a powerful sense of place, vision of graceful (hopefully) skiing in magical places. Navajo Mt. was always powerful medicine. It's on the UT/AZ border, above Rainbow Bridge, on Navajo land. Think I did 4 ski trips there. I was on low cut Snowfields sometimes beefed up with Tele Cuffs for the downhill (this back in the mid 90's). Steve, I agree we're probably talking two different venues/boots for L. Superior shore and mountain tours. That BCX 675 looks interesting. For the moment, I'm OK in my home tours with a pair of new Snowfield II's I had stashed and a pair of composite Karhus similar to the Alpina 1575. Randy, those Salomon's sound super and I know a lot of people like them or the NNN BC rig. I'm just skeptical of the plan B for fixing things when you are 10 miles in and something goes "ping" with a Salomon or NNN BC binding.

Off trail rambler
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 8:42 pm 
Eric Hansen wrote:
Randy, those Salomon's sound super and I know a lot of people like them or the NNN BC rig. I'm just skeptical of the plan B for fixing things when you are 10 miles in and something goes "ping" with a Salomon or NNN BC binding.
SNS-BC has been discontinued. frown.gif In terms of reliability , SNS-BC and NNN-BC are quite sturdy, but also pretty light, so carrying an entire spare toepiece is reasonable.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Apr 25, 2017 7:38 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
SNS-BC has been discontinued.
No need for it. SNS Pilot and ProLink work as well or better, and better (more control) boots are available for both formats. If you want the most control from that ilk of binding, go with SNS Pilot Skate, which work quite well for FS road skiing.
Eric Hansen wrote:
I agree we're probably talking two different venues/boots for L. Superior shore and mountain tours. That BCX 675 looks interesting. For the moment, I'm OK in my home tours with a pair of new Snowfield II's I had stashed and a pair of composite Karhus similar to the Alpina 1575.
Then why not get lightweight AT boots and bindings for mountain tours? They will perform est. 5 times better than Excursions and 3 pins. I ran into Steve Barnett a while back. He hasn't ski toured in years.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Apr 25, 2017 12:02 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
I ran into Steve Barnett a while back. He hasn't ski toured in years.
I heard that Steve had a stroke a number of years ago -- that could crimp anyone's skiing ability. A couple of guys did a winter through hike of the PCT a couple years ago LINK-- they used skis for ~500 miles of the route (snowshoes for ~700 miles) -- booting for the rest. The ski setup was Dynafit PDG boots (~30oz), Dynafit Low Tech Lite Bindings (~6oz) and Voile Vector BC skis (~48oz).

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostTue Apr 25, 2017 8:05 pm 
Randy, Steve, hi, Re SNS, NNN sturdiness. My less than positive thoughts might just reflect my resistance to changing systems, starting from scratch. Very sorry to hear Steve Barnett had a stroke. re AT. I have near zero alpine background. I'm a reasonably savvy wilderness traveler, not an ace downhill skier. I can tele ok if it is perfect corn, otherwise it is survival skiing. So that AT outfit Randy outlined is pretty darn neat (and a quick peek brings it in at $1500 if I'm lucky with seasonal sales) but I am left with a hilarious image: me learning to use them on the nearby downhill areas here (vertical 300' on the closest one). But it can't be any funnier than when I learned tele on those same hills 20 years ago. Watch a vid, go to the hill. Repeat. Pretty powerful stuff skiing 500 miles on that AT outfit. I'll have to scope their report, see if they mention any repairs en route. Justin guy seems like he was born on skis. Thanks for all the good insights. They got me thinking, and dreaming.

Off trail rambler
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 8:33 am 
AT = "aging telemarker." Most of my buds and I toured on tele gear up until 10 years ago and then started to switch to AT one-by-one. After I switched to AT gear I doubled then tripled my touring days each season because AT gear can be easily skied in bad snowpack conditions that would be awful in tele. If you can tele, you can learn to ski with fixed heels much better after a half season of practice at your 300' hill. No need to spend $1500 for a lightweight tourable setup. Big diminishing return above $1,000 if you're a savvy shopper. Buy boots and bindings from Euro retailers (e.g., Telemark-Pyrenees, SnowInn). Steve B stopped skiing a few years before his stroke due to other health issues. Good guy.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 7:07 pm 
AT = "aging telemarker" would fit me. Interesting to hear your crowd's history, switching to AT. Time to scan another whole range of gear (AT), possibilities. One question. With AT gear tripling your touring days, managing bad snowpack conditions that would not work with tele, is it safe to assume that is vertical terrain possibilities opening up? That the AT gear makes the downhills manageable even if the snow is funky? Thanks again, Eric

Off trail rambler
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 7:36 pm 
For me the choose to "Given AT gear a try" came from comparing the weight of my most recent telemark rig and a used Dynafit setup that a friend was selling. The Dynafit setup was about half the weight for bindings and boots. Those were TLT classics and TLT Tourlite 3s. I got that setup super cheap. Since Rando Race gear has started coming on the market -- I've added to my quiver of AT gear -- the Rando Race category boots -- in addition to being light -- also offer awesome range of motion for ankle flex -- it is in the same range as "classic" XC boots -- better than "Skate" or "Combi" XC boots. This makes for more efficient travel -- as adding even six inches to your stride really adds up over the course of a day. The reduction in heel friction and blistering is a factor as well. In terms of the range of snow conditions that offer enjoyable skiing -- I think this is due to more than one factor. 1) With a parallel stance it is easier to keep the weight distribution even between skis and to weight/unweight more gently than when using a telemark turn. This means fewer problems with "breakable" crust or other snow conditions were snow density and cohesion is variable. 2) Skis have gotten wider and have incorporated features like "Rocker" (of various sorts) -- these features significantly help keep the ski tips on the surface and also require much less energy to make turns.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 27, 2017 7:58 am 
Eric Hansen wrote:
AT = "aging telemarker" would fit me. Interesting to hear your crowd's history, switching to AT.
Not just my group. The transition from tele to AT is common. Most tele tourists I knew 15 years ago now tour on tele gear. That group includes some lifelong Nords.
Eric Hansen wrote:
With AT gear tripling your touring days, managing bad snowpack conditions that would not work with tele, is it safe to assume that is vertical terrain possibilities opening up? That the AT gear makes the downhills manageable even if the snow is funky?
"Not work with tele" is an overstatement. I said "awful," i.e., possible but not fun. As Randy said, locked heels allows the skier to have more surface bearing area while turning using proper technique (i.e., loading tips). The difference is stark is some conditions. I switched to AT after 20 years of tele in 2006 when I was on a late season tour with my bud who had recently switch. He was able to stay on top of a sun crust while my tips submarined with each tele turn. I got down making parallel turns which, as you know are possible with free heels although you can't initiate the turn by loading the tips lest you'll face plant. That modern AT tech bindings (e.g., Dynafits) are lighter is a big help, but IME the bigger advantage is that modern lightweight touring boots are ergonomically superior. The most tourable AT boots (e.g., Dynafit TLT6) have much more range of motion in tour mode and walk like a light mountaineering boot. Lack of duck bill makes the toe easier to kick steps in snow and edge with toe on scrambles and eliminates. Lack of bellows results in more edging power. Rocker tip is a no brainer. Don't even think of getting new backcountry touring skis (AT or tele) without a rockered tip. I really like Voile's sweeping rocker tip (e.g., Vector, Supercharger). Voile skis are a bargain, lightweight, tough and ski great. Made is USA too.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Apr 27, 2017 11:30 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
As Randy said, locked heels allows the skier to have more surface bearing area while turning using proper technique (i.e., loading tips). The difference is stark is some conditions. I switched to AT after 20 years of tele in 2006 when I was on a late season tour with my bud who had recently switch. He was able to stay on top of a sun crust while my tips submarined with each tele turn. I got down making parallel turns which, as you know are possible with free heels although you can't initiate the turn by loading the tips lest you'll face plant.
Yup. I switched in part because I was starting to spend about half or more of my time making parallel turns, but even more due to the much lower weight for a releasable setup (duck bill/3-pin boot tele release setups weren't and I assume still aren't light!). On my first tour on AT gear I was happily surprised by how much easier lifting the boot for each climbing step was - though right around that time tele bindings with a "tour mode" began to offer the same spring-less uphill stride. A few tours later, I was out with some friends who were on tele gear, who were at least a strong at tele skiing as I'd been. We hit a patch of breakable crust, and my other AT-outfitted pal and I made pretty easy work of it with survival turns using the tip-loaded initiation of which Steve writes. We had a nice snack break while we waited for our friends to navigate the same 400-ish vertical foot stretch. As a former workmate put it, everything is best for something and bad for something else. Tele gear is great for skiing down in effortless cold powder, but not so great in various forms of crust.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Apr 27, 2017 11:39 am 
joker wrote:
Tele gear is great for skiing down in effortless cold powder
The other White powder that people will go to great lengths to have up their nose.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Apr 27, 2017 12:39 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
joker wrote:
Tele gear is great for skiing down in effortless cold powder
The other White powder that people will go to great lengths to have up their nose.
Yes, and one's nose is a little closer to the powder with tele turns!

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu Apr 27, 2017 7:49 pm 
You all are very convincing. I'm wondering just how much mountain skiing I'll be doing, and whether AT lowers the injury risks. Given reasonable decision making. I know when to quit and sidestep, or kick turn. Out here our wilderness tends horizontal. Mind, it's glorious. Only enduring wild wolf population in the lower 48 is in the Boundary Waters. Wildlife, water, Lake Superior. But a 500' vertical is notable. So, you all are doing a great job educating me. I just need to sort through my life, where I'll be at the next few years. I've had a lot of good times in the Mt. Baker area. Easy Ridge is nirvana. Typically out there for a few weeks in August. I could picture being out there in June for the corn season, Ptarmigan Ridge. Question is how much time will I be willing to put in working on skills. Whether I'm willing to ride the lifts for a dozen days (here), learning, rather than spend that time in the backcountry (here) . Thanks Randy, Steve and Joker. Schemes and dreams.

Off trail rambler