Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rockport State Park - Beaver Lake (4-23-17)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostWed Apr 26, 2017 10:30 pm 
Kim and I headed to the Darrington area for two hikes on Sunday. I had never been into Rockport SP. We did a loop on the north side of the highway and another on the south side. About 4.5 miles total. Lots of big trees and lots of blooming wildflowers. The flowers included skunk cabbage, salmonberry, trillium, spring beauty, false hellebore, red currant, bleeding hearts, and Hooker's fairybells. After that we headed south to the Beaver Lake trail. It is across from the Whitechuck boat launch. Lots more wildflowers. On my previous visit in 2009 the trail was washed out. This time we made it to the current washout beyond Beaver Lake. More wildflowers and a lot of solitude. 3.8 miles here. A little over 8 miles for the day. My full report with 56 annotated photos is at: Rockport - Beaver Lake Report & Photos Here are a few of the photos:
Salmonberry
Salmonberry
Bleeding Hearts
Bleeding Hearts
Skunk Cabbage
Skunk Cabbage
Devil's Club
Devil's Club
Creek
Creek
Colorful Fungus
Colorful Fungus
Biggest Tree
Biggest Tree
Sauk River
Sauk River

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Apr 28, 2017 10:39 am 
Sure was nice to get out after a busy, busy tax season! I had been jonesin' for the fragrance and sounds of the forest (birds and water - I even heard a grouse!) I always enjoy both these trails; Beaver Lake's Hooker's Fairy Bells and Canadian dogwood are just poking up. These 2 flowers are abundant along this trail. Tons of hummingbirds enjoying the tons of salmon berry. Always a fun trip with Jim. Afterwards we checked out the new 4 Corners Cafe in Darrington; nice place, good service, and good food. I had a good Monte Cristo sandwich; hard to find those on a menu nowadays! Will toss up some photos later. It was so good to get out.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
carlb328

carlb328
PostSun Apr 30, 2017 2:28 pm 
There is a hike here in San Antonio that has a little cedar with a sign that says "ancient cedar about 200 years old." I thought you might find that funny compared to that big one in your pics that looks like it's at least 500 years old.