Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Ransomware patch for older MS windows including XP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostMon May 15, 2017 11:47 am 
zephyr wrote:
We recommend customers that have not yet installed the security update MS17-01
If you are still looking, it's bundled in with the "March, 2017 Security Only Quality Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4012212)" The stand alone installer can be found here

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 15, 2017 12:04 pm 
I laughed listening to a radio report today that 100,000's of PC infected in China we vunderable because -- they were running pirated copies of windows and the pirating mechanism prevented the machines from updating the latest security patches. (Checking for a valid licence is part of the update procedure)

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon May 15, 2017 1:31 pm 
H. Hound wrote:
If you are still looking,
Thanks, H. Hound. I think I am okay now. I have all my current updates. But I appreciate your posting this. ~z

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon May 15, 2017 1:54 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
"...100,000's of PC infected in China we vunderable because -- they were running pirated copies of windows..."
^ the proverbial could with the silver lining. lol.gif HHound, is that link for a patch for Windows 7 only?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostMon May 15, 2017 3:32 pm 
Yep. It's a different KB for XP, Vista, Win8, 8.1 etc.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon May 15, 2017 5:35 pm 
Thanks for digging up that patch for 7. I disabled the updates last year when I came inside from doing something or another and saw my laptop wasn't asleep, it was on with the spinnydoodle going and showing an update message. "Updating to Win 10".... After how many months of clicking no thanks I don't want to 'upgrade' to Win 10 for free, the ****s were ramming it into my machine anyway during an auto update when I wasn't looking. I immediately reset the machine, and when it booted I got the 'didn't shut down properly' message (no kidding) and luckily, when I used restore it put 7 back. I sent them a nastygram about how I'd never been a hater, but now I was full on board with it and good work. Now I don't trust them at and I've turned it off. Malware Bytes has been pretty good to me and catches a lot of stuff, they sent out an email noting they were already watching for this bug and you were good if you had the paid version, which I do. I'll still ad the patch though just to be thorough So anyway, thanks for the known good 7 only patch.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
mike

mike
PostMon May 15, 2017 6:26 pm 
Quote:
KB4012212
I'm showing KB4012215 also patching it.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon May 15, 2017 9:24 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Now I don't trust them at and I've turned it off.
I don't think you're alone there. I did the same thing - just disabled and toggled the "update" thing OFF - permanently. From what I read on the web while that was going on, you and I were not the only ones who did that. I suspect that nobody at Microsoft ever heard about the old Rule Number One in retail business: "NO surprises for the customer."

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
christensent

christensent
PostTue May 16, 2017 6:45 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Now I don't trust them at and I've turned it off. Malware Bytes has been pretty good to me and catches a lot of stuff, they sent out an email noting they were already watching for this bug and you were good if you had the paid version, which I do. I'll still ad the patch though just to be thorough So anyway, thanks for the known good 7 only patch.
If it's turned off solely to avoid the automated installation of windows 10 (which indeed was pushed out pretty firmly and you had to really pay attention to NOT get it), you can safely turn windows update back on. Many months ago, the free windows 10 upgrade program ended. You now must buy windows 10 and there is zero chance of an automatic upgrade (and all the annoying "upgrade now!" popups and stuff are history too). If leaving it off for general trust reasons, well that's your call.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue May 16, 2017 8:21 pm 
That's good news. I'll think about turning it back on. Thanks for the tip!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers