Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri May 05, 2017 5:02 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I don't quite have it dialed in when I typically hear each type of thrush each year.
I've made a mental note re FOY Swainson's Thrush each year for at least a decade and quite certain I've never heard one in WA before Memorial Day.
I seem to recall a few days where I've heard the trifecta of hermit, Swainson's and varied during a hike.
I've heard 2 of the 3 on 100 hikes, but don't recall hearing all 3 on the same hike. Come to think of it, I do not recall ever hearing a Swainson's Thrush song >3000', and I have heard very few Hermit Thrush songs <2500'.
Most of the time I first hear them [Hermit Thrush] in the Teanaway or around Leavenworth
Same here. IME Hermit Thrush songs are most abundant in montane forests and lower subalpine forests E of the crest. Notwithstanding their name, the males get bold for a short time during breeding season. A couple times I have seen a male conspicuously perched within 25 feet of me. After breeding season, good luck ever getting a good luck at one.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri May 05, 2017 7:14 pm 
I've never heard all 3 simultaneously, but almost positive I've heard both Swainson's and hermit at different points during the same hike, and hearing varied is fairly common. I don't SEE any of them very often. Like probably everyone else I've seen hundreds if not thousands of robins during my lifetime, but the other thrushes make much less frequent appearances.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat May 06, 2017 8:21 am 
I don't SEE any of them very often.
Varied Thrush is by far the most conspicuous and bold of the 3 (with the exception of Hermit males during breeding season, as noted above), and they are in Western WA all year round. Over the past 20 years I've seen 200+ Varied Thrushes each year, including nearly daily sightings on the ground under the feeder in our former back yard in West Seattle and many VT sightings while jogging at Tiger. (Those numbers are likely to fall off now that I live E of the crest.) I've averaged a dozen or so Swainson's visual IDs per year, roughly half of them while jogging in Schmitz Park in West Seattle. My confirmed Hermit Thrush IDs have been limited to males singing from tree tops E-of-crest montane forest during breeding season -- est. 8-10 total through the years.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSun May 07, 2017 2:41 am 
May 6 Raptor Rapture at Ebey Bluffs: Whidbey Island Stiff breeze, warm sun= great updrafts for soaring 3-4 Bald eagles cruising the steep dune grass slopes, with several coasting 10-20 feet from enthralled hikers on the upper trail. Two big hawks(sorry no ID) doing aerial ballet at the same time. Small flock of Greater Yellowlegs(?) on beach Tom

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed May 17, 2017 8:38 am 
Stepped outside this morning and was greeted by both Swainson's Thrush and Western Tanagers singing. smile.gif

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue May 30, 2017 7:14 pm 
Been enjoying the aeronautics of the Swallow's living in my soffit, and a pretty orange rufous humming bird guarding his new feeders. Wish I could identify the rest.

cartman

cartman
PostThu Jun 01, 2017 3:51 pm 
Post some pics in this thread y'all!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jun 08, 2017 9:31 am 
I've been hearing quail in the brush at Richmond Beach Park for several years but hadn't seen any. Finally last weekend I saw one in the driveway of a house about halfway between Richmond Beach Park and Boeing Creek Park. Male, had the bobby thing on its head. Disappeared around the side of the house.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 8:21 pm 
I have been hearing this strange sounding bird at my place out in Verlot and am curious as to what it could be. It makes a weird almost squawking sound, unfortunately I have not had a look at it/them. Any ideas?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jul 15, 2017 11:24 pm 
Sounds likely, I found a dead hawk nearby recently.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 12:22 pm 
It was a crow, didn't sound like one, but then they can mimic the sounds of other birds right?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Sep 19, 2017 5:02 pm 
Fall is arriving E o' the crest. This morning I watched a pair of migrating Sharp-shinned Hawks getting harassed by a half dozen Black-billed Magpies.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Sep 20, 2017 3:08 am 
Paddled down the Sky Sat. for a Humpy recon and lots of Canadian geese moving. Probs. residents, but it sure is cool to have them come in right over your head and land...Some Chinookers jumping in the big pools too. (Hatchery I would guess.) Tom

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Sep 23, 2017 11:08 pm 
I saw 4 quail scurrying into the thick brush right by the entrance to Richmond Beach Park today. I knew they were there.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Nov 20, 2017 3:46 pm 
There are a bunch of what I presume to be Oregon juncos feeding in my back yard. One of them had an almost entirely white body. Darker head like the others, and a few brown feathers on the back and wings, but mostly white. Not an off white or pale gray either. Can honestly say I've never seen that before!