Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Fred Beckey movie to be released for showing May/June dates:
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostWed May 17, 2017 6:03 pm 
Dirtbag, the Movie: Dirtbag, The Movie

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed May 17, 2017 7:46 pm 
So awesome! The hours I spent poring over the bibles as I scraped up the money to buy each in turn..

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed May 17, 2017 7:51 pm 

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 17, 2017 9:39 pm 
I have autographed copies of them. (: up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostThu May 18, 2017 8:02 am 
Just curious, (the website didn`t make it clear...) other than the June 4th and 10th screenings at SIFF, will there be other opportunities to see this?

gb

gb
PostThu May 18, 2017 8:33 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I have autographed copies of them. (: up.gif
His Cascade Alpine Guide guidebooks are pure genius - by far the best guidebooks I've ever seen here or in Europe. His study and knowledge of history and geology puts him on a different plane.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu May 18, 2017 10:54 am 
I love the history. I've spent a lot of time going over the footnotes and spin off historical reading from those, particularly the N Casc and Canada, VIII. And let's not forget the geological footnotes too. There is a vast depth to these books far beyond climbing alone. In fact while writing this post an interesting parallel springs to mind from the world of astronomy. Robert Burnham Jr was born in 1932 and was the prototypical single minded loner with an obsession, in this case, the stars. He never married, never had a formal education, yet with persistence he put his intelligence to work and parlayed his obsession into a job as an observational astronomer and equipment wrangler at Lowell Observatory. Over his decades there patiently and meticulously doing a photographic sky survey, plate by glass plate, of the norther hemisphere sky, he also was hand writing a set of three handbooks for amateur use. He finally managed to get them published and they were instantly launched into classic, must have status. Like Beckey's bibles, this three volume set was renowned for it's detail, intimate knowledge, and depth of subject material including extensive background....history, literature both modern and ancient, paintings and drawings, even coins. A single entry on a prominent star, or the Milky Way for that matter, can contain 5-10 pages of background like snippets of poetry, including from China, mythology, explorers and scientists comments, etc. I have never seen another reference work of this sort in any other science, like Beckey's bibles, I can read and reread the several thousand pages at random and stay entertained all over again. Also like Beckey, in spite of the unparalleled success of his three volume reference work, he didn't parlay this success into much else. He died destitute.
Quote:
Years before he was a destitute painter, Robert Burnham Jr. had inscribed the universe. Writer, astronomer, finder of comets and asteroids and collector of ancient artifacts, Burnham was a singular Arizonan. He was a scientist whose work at Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff helped advance the understanding of the sun’s neighborhood in space. He was an author whose name has become so familiar to some readers it has become a sort of shorthand, like Audubon to birders, Hoyle to card players, Webster to poor spellers, Robert to parliamentarians [like Beckey to climbers]. More than 30 years after its first publication, Burnham’s Celestial Handbook: An Observer’s Guide to the Universe Beyond the Solar System remains a sort of real-life hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy, a compendium with something to say about nearly every cosmic destination worth visiting. Part travel guide, part history text, part encyclopedia, it’s like a handheld natural-history museum of the universe. And for decades it’s held a grip on the imaginations of most people who ply the night skies with telescopes, people who yearn to travel in space and know that they can, any dark and clear night. Reading Burnham’s massive, three-volume work is like reading the notes of an adventurer who has spent a lifetime studying the treasures of a lost civilization: Its 2,138 pages are loaded with tables of data, technical passages and illustrations interspersed with historical arcana and ancient poetry. And all of it is meant as an incentive for the reader to recover those treasures by merely looking upward. It is rarely compared to other books because there simply is none other like it. No other popular work approaches its utility and completeness; few other scientific texts contain its sense of wonder and even spirituality.
Life of Burnham Similar austere, driven, single minded aesthetic as Beckey...
A 3 volume magnum opus, just like Beckey...

reststep

reststep
PostThu May 18, 2017 11:58 am 
Are the showings in Seattle already sold out? The website says they plan to take the movie on tour in 2017 and 2018 to as many cities and festivals as possible. Apparently there is no schedule as of yet. It would be cool if they could have a showing at the Admiral Theater in Bremerton.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu May 18, 2017 11:59 am 
Maybe Ill get lucky and they'll have a Portland venue

reststep

reststep
PostThu May 18, 2017 12:36 pm 
I called SIFF and they said both screenings in Seattle are on standby which means there are not selling any more advanced tickets. They said some tickets may be available at the box office ten minutes before the showings.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostThu May 18, 2017 5:42 pm 
There was a long, very well publicized, effort on Kickstarter about a year+ ago; the producers had a 10 minute version and wanted donations to make a full length version. The upcoming screenings are the result. And, those who donated are supposed to receive a DVD copy... "late 2017 or early2018". So, there should be plenty of opportunities to view the full edition.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu May 18, 2017 6:35 pm 
reststep wrote:
It would be cool if they could have a showing at the Admiral Theater in Bremerton.
I donated to the Kickstarter so you're welcome to come over to my place for a showing once I get my copy. In fact, anybody in the West Sound area would be welcome to come over. We can have a showing. PS, if you missed Los Lobos at the Admiral last week you missed a fantastic show.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
reststep

reststep
PostFri May 19, 2017 4:58 pm 
Thanks Brian. I am interested in seeing the movie. Please let me know when you get something set up. I will bring my copy of Fred's "Climber's Guide to the Cascade and Olympic Mountains".

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostFri May 19, 2017 6:05 pm 
Sounds good. I will let you know.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSat May 20, 2017 7:26 am 
"Some people may think that it's an adventure to go on a cruise ship in the Mediterranean. To me it's no adventure at all unless someone bombs the ship." Splendid quote.