Forum Index > Trail Talk > Overnight backpack trip suggestion
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
capbiker

capbiker
PostSun May 14, 2017 1:24 pm 
Suggestions for a one night backpack destination, end of May, not a lot of elevation, 4-8 miles one way. Trying out new gear after being away from backpacking for 15 years! Have thought about Ingalls Creek, Baker Lake, Suiattle River. Thanks in advance.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
SusanHikes

SusanHikes
PostTue May 16, 2017 11:20 am 
Packwood Lake is ~5 miles each way and pretty flat if you might want to try something down south. It's melted out up to the lake per trip reports on WTA.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue May 16, 2017 12:18 pm 
I hiked up Suiattle River recently to the Image Lake junction, I think that would fit the bill nicely. Trail is in good shape. Only a few muddy sections, none of the creek crossings were problematic, barely any downed trees to contend with, no snow at all. There is a nice camp right by the suspension bridge at Canyon Creek at about 6.5 miles I believe. A large horse camp on one side of the bridge and several smaller sites on the other side. Several other options before and after that as well. edited--Canyon Creek is before the PCT junction. From the junction it's not far south on the PCT to a nice very small campsite at I believe Vista Creek.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue May 16, 2017 1:41 pm 
For our Younger Boy Scouts we have gone on several very short intro hikes. Two road closure hikes to old campgrounds: Mt Rainer NP - Carbon Entrance to Ipsut Creek campground. Olympic NP Dosewallips River road washout to Dosewallips Campground. Lake Hyas - Salmon la Sac Area Lodge Lake -PCT South Bound at I-90 Pass Greenwood Lake -Norse Peak Wilderness Packwood Lake - Packwood/Goat Rocks Area Dewey Lake - William Douglass I avoid most of the just off I-90 areas like the plague for overnights. I've probably day hiked every one at least twice, the best way to see those areas.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu May 18, 2017 6:20 pm 
Good chance you can't even drive to Hyas Lake.