Forum Index > Gear Talk > Sturdy lightweight waders?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed May 10, 2017 2:42 pm 
I'm guessing there are some folks on here with helpful opinions about make/model of good sturdy but light waders. I'm interested in using them for some photography projects which will have me wading and sometimes kneeling in creeks and rivers as well as in shallow salt water. At times I'll be doing enough of an approach hike that I'd be likely to want to have the waders in (or strapped onto) my pack until I get to the water, so I'd like them to be at least somewhat lightweight, though durability is even more important. Opinions or advice?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hbb

hbb
PostWed May 10, 2017 3:56 pm 
You may already be aware of this, but waders will generally either have a built-in boot (heavy and bulky) or will be stocking foot, with a neoprene bootie built in. The foot on stocking foot waders will be too bulky to fit into your normal shoes/boots. Simms is the gold standard, but Redington is a good value, and more-or-less locally based. Cabela's house-brand is not bad.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed May 10, 2017 8:29 pm 
Quote:
"...waders will generally either have a built-in boot (heavy and bulky)..."
^ Yeah. I have a pair of those. WAY too much weight to add to a pack, as well as bulky. I met brownster145 one afternoon up near Smith Place. He was walking up the middle of the channel wearing some sort of neoprene "hose" with a pair of some sort of lightweight boot. Said the set-up was pretty lightweight. Not sure if it kept him dry, but it did keep him from freezing. Said he went all the way up to Paull Creek like that - right up the middle of the channel. You might see if you could get ahold of him and ask him for particulars. Looked like a fairly effective set-up - I believe he and his father and done a fair bit of trial and error to arrive at that solution.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostThu May 11, 2017 6:07 am 
I'd get the lightest weight quality waders w/ stocking foot you can afford and skip the wading boots, taking crocks instead of boots. This should work OK since it sounds like you won't be walking around much in the water. I've done miles in crocks in waders and they are SLIPPERY, but the do work. And they are way lighter than wading boots. I'd get a pair of Simms and call it good, they have some made-in-china now that are good and about 1/2 the prince of their USA made stuff. I use Simms for work and truthfully get the same milage out of the USA ones as the china ones. If you don't have to go deep, you could consider getting some wading pants which will be even more compact. Excited to see your photos!

graywolf

graywolf
PostThu May 11, 2017 6:48 am 
I've got a couple of pairs of lightweight hippers: one from Orvis which is an ultralight coated nylon stocking foot without neoprene, the other is made by Hodgeman out of waterproof/breathable fabric with a neoprene foot. I've used both for years of fly fishing on the upper Elwha, Duckabush, Bogachiel, etc. Both have proven durable and leak proof. I usually take a lightweight pair of wading boots made by Orvis, but have used them with a pair of Tevas (not as comfortable). I also have a pair of lightweight waterproof/breathable waders (chest high) from Cabela's, but only use them when I'm fishing not too far from the car.

The only easy day was yesterday...
hbb

hbb
PostThu May 11, 2017 10:29 am 
Jaberwock wrote:
I've done miles in crocks in waders and they are SLIPPERY
I wet-wade in some old trail runners. To deal with the lack of traction (these were super sketchy in the typical freestone mountain stream), I screwed some short hex-head aluminum sheet metal screws into the sole as studs. That was one of the best gear modifications I've ever made: cheap, fast, and effective. I bet that would work well on your Crocs.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu May 11, 2017 3:05 pm 
^ That is the reason my father never owned or used waders after having watched that scenario play out. (Might also be the reason I've never used the pair I own, which were given to me by a well-intentioned friend.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
graywolf

graywolf
PostThu May 11, 2017 3:18 pm 
That's why I always have a sheath knife very handy whenever I wear waders. I also wear a wading belt.

The only easy day was yesterday...
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu May 11, 2017 3:49 pm 
Great input - thanks! The specific brand recos align with what I've found elsewhere. And the safety tips are clearly important - again thanks!!

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostFri May 12, 2017 10:25 am 
I use Reddington's Palix River waders. They're a lot less expensive than Simms and pretty good quality: https://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-waders/palix-river-wader

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostMon May 15, 2017 1:26 pm 
Not sure if you're looking for hip or chest waders. I have owned many pairs of Simms waders and they are bomber. I also have a pair of Frogg Togg lightweight hip waders that I use for less demanding situations - http://www.froggtoggs.com/waders/men/canyon-stockingfoot-hipper.html

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Yeti
Truly Abominable

Yeti
Truly Abominable
PostThu May 18, 2017 7:14 am 
Wiggy's makes a pair of 10oz hip waders - http://www.wiggys.com/clothing-outerwear/lightweight-waders You may also want to look at the Chota "Hippies" http://chotaoutdoorgear.com/shop/hippies/original-hippies/

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat May 20, 2017 9:56 am 
Thanks - hippers look like a good plan for starters, both in terms of $ and weight. I can imagine cases where I'd like a bit more height, particularly for kneeling down to look at the camera back and through the viewfinder, but I'll see how far hip waders can get me before taking the chest plunge.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat May 20, 2017 4:41 pm 
Light and sturdy seldom go together, in any event do not go cheap, the son of a friend was killed when waders failed by Fall City.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
hbb

hbb
PostTue Aug 08, 2017 11:18 am 
Dredging this thread back up to post a link to a review of some new lightweight packable waders from Patagonia: Patagonia Middle Fork Packable Wader Review These look very promising, but they aren't cheap ($349).