Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Milk Creek access & Other Stuff
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu May 04, 2017 1:54 pm 
Note: USFS is scoping feedback to determine how best to develop these projects: Some exciting projects; Milk Creek trail access, bikes on Whitechuck Bench, North Mtn Lookout. =================================================== Dear Forest User: The U.S. Forest Service (USFS), Darrington Ranger District (DRD), is seeking feedback on several projects that will take place in the National Forest System (NFS) during 2017. As part of the process, required by the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), the Forest Service is looking for issues that should be addressed on the projects proposed below. Each project has a proposed action, which is what the DRD proposes to complete on the ground. Comments should be in the form of specific issues raised by the actions as proposed. Your comments would be most helpful if received by May 26, 2017. How to Comment: Electronic comments are preferred and should be submitted with the following subject line, “PROJECT NAME”, and as part of the actual e-mail message, or in another readable format such as plain text (.txt), rich text format (.rtf), .pdf, or Word (.doc or .docx) to: EMAIL COMMENTS TO: comments-pacificnorthwest-mtbaker-snoqualmie-darrington@fs.fed.us. Written comments should be mailed or dropped off in person to: Peter Forbes, District Ranger Darrington Ranger District 1405 Emens Ave N. Darrington, WA 98241 Office hours for submitting hand-delivered comments are 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. Comments received, including names and addresses of those who comment, will be part of the Project Record and available for public review. PROJECTS ===================== Green Mountain Trail Re-route; Contact Bridget Wisniewski, (360) 436-2339 Purpose & Need: Green Mountain Lookout has a large volunteer staff committed to refurbishing the lookout and manning it for the USFS. In order to finish work on the lookout, stock support is needed to transport lumber, paint, tools and other supplies. Through the years this stretch of trail has posed problems to stock and hikers alike. When wet, the clay becomes slick and dangerous. This leads all users to hike on the vegetation along the trail where footing is secure. This in turn leads to braiding of the trail, loss of vegetation, and erosion in the trail tread . The project proposal need stems from safety concerns for equestrian and hikers, and to minimize resource impacts. Proposed Action: The Green Mtn. Trail #782 is a four mile trail open to hikers and stock which gives access to Green Mtn. Lookout. The trail starts at 3500’ and gains 3000’ of elevation ending at 6500’. Most of the trail is 15% grade or less. At MP 2.5 the trail climbs 150 vertical feet and then descends an equal amount on the other side, entering a small basin with a tarn. The trail is braided and contains grades of 30-35%. The project will relocate 1600’ of the trail, reducing the grade, erosional issues and increasing safety for all user. By relocating the trail such that the “hump” is bypassed, a sustainable trail with appropriate side hill and drainage attained. Location: Township 32N; Range 12E; Sections 10. NEPA Document: Categorical Exclusion Estimated Decision Date: July 2017 [b]Milk Creek Trail Connection[/b]; Contact Stella Torres, (360) 436-2316 Purpose and Need: The Milk Creek trail offers access to the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT), precisely in the middle of a 30 mile stretch which has no access. Replacing the bridge and establishing access on the Milk Creek trail will enable the district to perform annual maintenance along this stretch of the PCT. Furthermore by replacing this access a premier 32 mile loop once enjoyed by many backpackers and stock users would be reopened to a new generation of backcountry enthusiast. Proposed Action: In 2003, a large flood destroyed all bridges crossing the Suiattle River. The Suiattle crossing of the Milk Creek trail was slated to be replaced in 2006, when a subsequent flood compromised the footings for the bridge. A new location was found closer to the trailhead and outside of the Glacier Peak Wilderness, but required construction of one mile of trail to reconnect the Milk Creek trail with the new crossing point. Location: Township 32N; Range 12E; Sections 24 & 25. NEPA Document: Categorical Exclusion Estimated Decision Date: July 2017 Big Four Boardwalk Replacement; Contact Bridget Wisniewski, (360) 436-2339 Purpose and Need: Big Four trail is one of the heaviest used trails on the Mt. Baker Snoqualmie NF. It provides 1.25 miles of barrier free trail. The boardwalk through the beaver ponds provides visitors with views of Big Four, Stillaguamish Peak, Dickerman, bird watching, and wildlife watching. Proposed Action: In 1996 Big Four National Recreation area received funding for various improvements including construction of ~750’ of boardwalk and 20’ bridge. Now almost 20 years later the boardwalk is reaching the end of it’s lifespan. Project will replace boardwalk and bridge within the original footprint. Location: Township 30N; Range 10E; Section 22. NEPA Document: Categorical Exclusion Estimated Decision Date: July 2017 North Mountain Lookout; Contact Stella Torres, (360) 436-2316 Purpose and Need: The goal for this project is make the lookout accessible to the public in a safe and financially self-sustaining manner. Another objective is to restore the lookout according to the original design, preserving historic elements if possible. Hours and methods for public access to the site while the lookout is rented are still being developed. Other goals for the project are to expand educational resources at the site, increase tourism for the Darrington area, and strengthen the local economy while investing in the building in order to preserve an important piece of history. Proposed Action: Friends of North Mountain (FONM), a local 501. C. 4 non profit, is proposing to complete restoration activities on North Mountain Lookout for the purpose of renting it out to the public for over night stays. The Lookout would remain available for day use as well. As part of the restoration activities, FONM proposes to finish main restoration tasks such as, install new double membrane roof, replace decking for two sides of the catwalk, remove litter and restore and old outhouse within the existing foot print (see map attached). Installation of the lightning arrestor system has been signed off in a previous CE check list, however due to time constraints FONM was not successful in installing in 2016 so they plan to install in 2017. Minor routine road maintenance on approximately 1 mile of road from FS gate to the lookout will be included in the special use permit. Road work will be minimal and includes clearing ditches to maintain adequate drainage and cleaning out culverts along the 1mi stretch of road (see attached map). Gravelling a portion of the road and filling in potholes within the 1mi stretch is also proposed. Vegetation management around the lookout for maintenance of views or hazard tree removal is proposed. However, the vast majority of trees around the lookout are currently relatively small so this is a future proposed action as trees continue to grow. Estimated number of trees less than 20’ dbh removed per year is less than 10 within the next 5 years. No removal of trees greater than 20’dbh is proposed. See attachments for more detailed descriptions of these actions. Location: Township 33N; Ranger 9E; Section 26. NEPA Document: Categorical Exclusion Estimated Decision Date: July 2017 Straight Creek and All Creek; Aquatic Organism Passage; Contact Richard Vacirca, (425) 783-6040 Purpose and Need: There is a need to replace two existing road crossing structures on Straight and All Creeks that currently do not provide for either aquatic organism passage nor allow larger floods and associated debris to pass without overwhelming the crossings. Both crossings disconnect habitat for salmonid species such as the Coho Salmon. Therefore, the purpose of the project is to provide road crossing structures at FSR 25 (milepost 3.94) and FSR 2510 (milepost 1.1) that provide both aquatic organism passage and allow floodwater and associated debris through. Proposed Action: At both sites, the project will consist of: replacing two existing culverts, re-grading of streambed within culvert extent, installing culvert structure that fits the aquatic organism needs, and re-establishing the road segment including erosion control measures with seeding and mulching. Location: Straight Creek (FSR 25): Township 32N; Range 11E; Section 17. All Creek (FSR 2510): Township 32N; Range 11E; Section 7. NEPA Document: Categorical Exclusion Estimated Decision Date: August 2017 White Chuck Bench Trail: Mtn. Bike Use; Contact Gary Paull, (360) 436-2329 Purpose and Need: The Northwest Forest Plan directive highlights a need to “expand opportunities for underserved and growing recreational uses such as mountain biking.” As of today, there is only one mountain bike trail to users in the Darrington and Mount Baker Ranger Districts. This project would provide another opportunity for this underserved activity. Proposed Action: The proposed action is to change the managed use on the trail to also include mountain biking. Currently there are only two uses available: hiking and equestrian. Location: Township 31N; Range 11E; Sections 14 through 18; and Township 31N; Range 10E; Section 13. NEPA Document: Categorical Exclusion Estimated Decision Date: August 2017 For more information about Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie projects please visit: https://www.fs.usda.gov/projects/mbs/landmanagement/projects Thank you for your time, we appreciate your continued interest in the management of the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu May 04, 2017 4:27 pm 
They all look good except the Big 4 boardwalk, which I thing is a waste of money. This boardwalk was built before the new parking lot on top of sidewalks from the old inn. They're in standing water from all the beaver ponds and always will be. A good route from the inn parking lot would be on the old railroad grade over to the new lot, if one is needed at all.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu May 04, 2017 5:08 pm 
Thanks for posting Kim. I concur with Schroder. It'd be great to see the Milk Creek trail open again and restore access to some very cool wild places on the N flank of Glacier Peak. I'm glad to have gotten in there a couple times before the washout.

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostFri May 05, 2017 9:39 am 
Kim et al In looking at the link at the end of the OP, I don't see the noted projects listed. Where on the MBS webpage is that list? My Google-fu skills are failing....

Tsolo

Tsolo
PostFri May 05, 2017 12:40 pm 
"I was glad to get into there after the washout." What did you do, ford the Suiattle River? That sounds kind of difficult.

rossb

rossb
PostFri May 05, 2017 12:55 pm 
Yeah, Milk Creek is a cool area. I hiked down the (now abandoned trail) and I won't do that again until they fix it. Parts of it are great, parts of it are terrible. But the parts that are great are quite scenic. Not only does it give shorter access to some great terrain (and make for some very nice one way and loop trips) but it will be nice in its own right. Nice to see one of the few less than perfect sections of the Green Mountain trail get some work, too. Now all they need to do is get rid of that lookout on the top which blocks the views smile.gif

rossb

rossb
PostFri May 05, 2017 12:57 pm 
Tsolo wrote:
What did you do, ford the Suiattle River? That sounds kind of difficult.
There is a log (or logs) you can typically use to cross. That was actually the easy part (in my opinion). Bushwhacking much of the way (especially the lower sections) was rough. It might be easier going up versus down, but either way I bet it is challenging.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri May 05, 2017 2:35 pm 
Token Civilian wrote:
Kim et al In looking at the link at the end of the OP, I don't see the noted projects listed. Where on the MBS webpage is that list? My Google-fu skills are failing....
Funny you should mention that. I got this email a week ago, and wanted to hold off on posting until a link was ready. I contacted the USFS about it, but as you know, the agency is on the Geologic Time Zone - so I went ahead & copied/pasted the email as you see here because they want comments by May 27th. MBS-specific projects are on the SOPA list, you just have to scroll around to find them. But this particular list is a scoping letter, and the projects, once developed will be on the SOPA report when that's done.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
mountainsandsound

mountainsandsound
PostSat May 06, 2017 7:42 am 
Thanks, I'll make sure to comment. The Milk Creek trail was part of my first long backpacking trip in high school and I'd like to check it out again. I remember some fairly brushy sections, I can only imagine what it must be like now.

mike

mike
PostSat May 06, 2017 10:12 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Green Mountain Trail Re-route: At MP 2.5 the trail climbs 150 vertical feet and then descends an equal amount on the other side, entering a small basin with a tarn. The trail is braided and contains grades of 30-35%. The project will relocate 1600’ of the trail, reducing the grade, erosional issues and increasing safety for all user. By relocating the trail such that the “hump” is bypassed, a sustainable trail with appropriate side hill and drainage attained.
I wonder why they haven't done this reroute every time I go up there. up.gif

Dalekz

Dalekz
PostSat May 06, 2017 11:21 am 
aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostSat May 20, 2017 5:38 pm 
My top 3 picks would be (not necessarily in order): 1. Milk Creek 2. Milk Creek 3. Milk Creek