Forum Index > Photography Talk > Photo Stops Recommendations on Camp Muir trail?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rommelsharma

rommelsharma
PostMon May 15, 2017 8:54 pm 
Hi All, I am planning a Camp Muir Day hike, details below: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8023993&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 I plan to create a small video of the experience and take lots of pictures along the route. Any recommendations for photo stops right from Paradise meeting point? Do i need to take any permit for personal use non commercial photos and videos (i may put it on my youtube account to share with friends)?

Thank you, Rommel
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue May 16, 2017 7:01 pm 
You're going to be hiking on very deep snow all the way up, there won't be any specific photo-worthy spots (flowers or streams or waterfalls, for example) that you won't see from any given location on the way up. Keep in mind that unless it's clear out, you're not likely going to see anything worth photographing at all - if it's cloudy it may be entirely whiteout conditions since Paradise is often socked in with fog when the weather is more moist. No, you don't need permits for photography.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue May 16, 2017 7:09 pm 
Unfortulately with all the snow this year you will be going before prime wildflower season, which is a real bummer because that hike can be pretty spectacular in wildflower season. You might get lucky and get a few good flower shots at the lower part of the hike. Anyway, you should probably start out at Myrtle Falls which can yield some pretty good pictures with Rainier in the background. Panorama point has good views, but look back towards the Tatoosh Range as you begin to ascend towards panorama point. IMO a picture of the Tatoosh range is best taken at lower elevation before you climb too high. That way the peaks rise up above the horizon with Mt Adams in the background.
Starting out
Starting out
Ascending
Ascending
When you get up higher in elevation you end up looking down on the range and it doesn't look as good.
Tatoosh Range from Panorama Point
Tatoosh Range from Panorama Point
That's all I got. Once you're above panorama point the views are pretty similar. Look more for intimate landscape shots you might find along the way, but the grand landscape shots will probably be better in the lower portion of the hike.

rommelsharma

rommelsharma
PostTue May 16, 2017 8:47 pm 
Thank you @awilsondc. I plan to take pictures from the points recommended. The pics you shared are great and I hope to get similar ones.

Thank you, Rommel
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon May 22, 2017 3:48 pm 
I would say F11 would be a good stop. wink.gif Watch the movie "mile, mile and a half" for a good tutorial on how to cover that trail with a camera. Excellent movie on so many levels.

friluftsliv
rommelsharma

rommelsharma
PostTue May 23, 2017 10:06 pm 
@boot up The f11 stop is a really good one. I would set my camera to that and share the pics after the trip. thanks for the note on "Mile... Mile & a Half", the trailers look really good and i plan to create a small video of our trip although a day hike. I will see this movie on netflix.

Thank you, Rommel
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed May 24, 2017 11:06 am 
Up high,a telephoto can be useful to compress images of other climbers against dramatic bits of scenery such as the icy walls across the nisqually.