Forum Index > Trail Talk > Spider Gap/Buck Creek Loop Questions (side trails, best map)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostThu Mar 23, 2017 10:16 pm 
Google Earth/maps recently updated their imagery to include pictures from 8/19/16 when the Buck Creek Fire was burning.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ChinookPass

ChinookPass
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 9:58 am 
How is the scramble to Helmet Butte? That is a cool looking mountain in the Buck Creek Pass area. I didn't have time to investigate but I think it is mentioned in some of the guides.
You will not regret moseying over to the High Pass area. There are lots of good vantages over there.

yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 10:29 am 
Chinook - Helmet Butte scramble is fine; just really steep grass covered slopes with small little Marmot ledges scattered across the face. Really nice views from the top. A few pics of the area in link below when we did Buck, Berge and Helmet Butte in early July, 2009. https://www.flickr.com/photos/8246712@N03/albums/72157621033828485

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Mar 24, 2017 1:15 pm 
yukon222 wrote:
A few pics of the area in link below when we did Buck, Berge and Helmet Butte in early July, 2009.
Wow, Yukon. That trip looks spectacular. Man, those were the days. Thanks for sharing. ~z

rxmarcus

rxmarcus
PostWed May 24, 2017 11:15 am 
Through some research I have come across the Snoqualmie Pass-Dutch Miller-Middle Fork loop. How does it compare to the Spider Gap-Buck Creek loop? Anyone prefer one or the other?

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostWed May 24, 2017 12:11 pm 
I myself would rather go back to the Dutch Miller loop, because I love lonely neglected areas. The Dutch Miller - MFk section will be more lonely and primitive (some very brushy trails) than anything on the Spider loop. The trail from Middle Fork back up to Snow Lake is long abandoned and may be hard to find, although there are some fairly recent reports on this site.

Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostWed May 24, 2017 3:51 pm 
Conrad wrote:
I myself would rather go back to the Dutch Miller loop, because I love lonely neglected areas. The Dutch Miller - MFk section will be more lonely and primitive (some very brushy trails) than anything on the Spider loop. The trail from Middle Fork back up to Snow Lake is long abandoned and may be hard to find, although there are some fairly recent reports on this site.
Getting from Middle Fork to Snoqualmie Pass depends on the route you take. Going from the Middle Fork up Rock Creek trail to Snow Lake is pretty easily navigated, there's a sign for it and everything. The old Cascade Crest trail from Middle Fork over Red Pass to Commonwealth Basin is tougher to find your way through - tons of blowdowns were there last summer and I'm sure it's only gotten worse. It could be challenging to find the trail up from the river to the pass. If you do want to go that way, I'd recommend doing the whole loop clockwise - going down from Red Pass is a lot easier to navigate since you pretty much just go downhill until you hit the river and find the MF trail rather than having to find a turn up. And the view from Red Pass is pretty dang good.

Chico

Chico
PostWed May 24, 2017 5:49 pm 
mbravenboer wrote:
The snowfield at High Pass is roughly here:
Satellite view of the snowfield. http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=48.113369,-120.950901&t=t2

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed May 24, 2017 6:29 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Hiker454 wrote:
massie lake trail
Massie Lake HR is a route, not a trail, although there is a steep angler's tread on some of the E end and some old sheepherder's trail with lots of blowdown on the W end. In between there's a stretch of moderately steep ground to negotiate, although not so bad if you stay on route.
The trail from the Chiwawa up to Massie Lake shows up on the GT maps and I'm pretty sure it even has a number assigned to it. For a straight-up-the-side-of-the-valley narrow root-fest fisherman's trail, it seems to be reasonably popular.

rxmarcus

rxmarcus
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 5:49 pm 
I really appreciate all of the help with planning this trip, and now its just around the corner. We'll be starting in two weeks and I had a few more small questions. Weather: It seems like the closest station on weather underground is Stehekin (Holden Mine Site), at an elevation of 3200 ft. Approx how much cooler temps can I expect at 5000-6000ft? Mostly needed for low temps, (which I'm expecting to be in the 30's?) so I know what to pack. Bugs: I assume they'll be some mosquitoes around the lakes, but how bad? Will DEET be fine? Head net recommended? I think that's all I have. It will be my first time in the Cascades and I'm stoked.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 6:17 pm 
Go to weather.gov and get a point forecast; it's already adjusted to the elevation. Here's a link to Lyman Lake (5600 ft). Edit: I meant to comment on the skeeters. Yes, take a headnet and whatever other protection you like. (I treat my clothes with permethrin.)

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 6:19 pm 
rxmarcus wrote:
Bugs: I assume they'll be some mosquitoes around the lakes, but how bad? Will DEET be fine? Head net recommended?
Mosquitoes are everywhere, not just around the lakes; but they're unpredictable, you could get lucky. I always take a head net; weighs & costs almost nothing.

rxmarcus

rxmarcus
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 9:15 am 
Thanks for the weather link. Looks like the low temps might be warmer than I expected. That's good news. Also looks like I'll be getting a head net.

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 9:22 am 
Just be a bit cautious that the upcoming 10 days are forecasted to be very warm here. It will likely not hit the 30's when you visit later, but the lows are currently higher than they would normally be. Check again just before heading out smile.gif