Forum Index > Trip Reports > pilchuck 5-23-2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
b00

b00
PostFri May 26, 2017 12:06 am 
pilchuck 5-23-2017
the first time i saw someone ski gunsight couloir, i thought it looked really difficult and never thought i'd ski down the thing.
a fun mellow day with great weather, friends and excellent skiing conditions. we drove to couple hundred feet short of the trailhead. only had to walk a minute or two on dirt before we began skinning up.
we had a nice break up at the lookout and then began our descent.
the snow was a perfect corn, but we did have some concerns when we looked down gunsight couloir. no one wanted to go first as there was a real possible issue that the first skier could cause enough loose wet snow to carry them into the rocks below. modern eventually dived in. thankfully our concerns were greater than the problem, as the snow only sluffed a little. everyone went one at a time and pretty soon there was only me. surprising to myself, this advanced skiing looked really doable to me. although i am only an intermediate level skier, with the hero corn snow, i was able to cruise down and really enjoy it. truthfully, i was originally planning to go down an easier way(the way we came up), but i am so happy i skied it. lots more great skiing awaited us and in too soon a time, we were back to the car. thanks modern and pj for leading the way. thanks brian and carla for keeping an eye on me. so glad to share a wonderful ski day with you!
4.88mi 2424' gain 3:42 car to summit 0:41 summit stay 2:37 summit to car 7:01 car to car equipment: skis, skins equipment brought, but not used: ski crampons, avy gear

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri May 26, 2017 1:07 am 
Oh no! Your topo map shows some Sekrit Lakes. That might cause some folks to freak out on here. Looks like a fun day. I was up there about a week ago. The snow wasn't so good for skiing then according to some skiiers I talked to.

iron

iron
PostFri May 26, 2017 11:56 am 
old guys with skis. good to be retired, or close to it smile.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri May 26, 2017 1:07 pm 
up.gif Pano looks like a nice half pipe option. My son just left for Mt. Hood to work and play on the mountain.

Living in the Anthropocene
Shred

Shred
PostSat May 27, 2017 11:41 am 
Nice! I saw you tracks the following day. Congratulations on the Gunsight! It looks intimidating at first glance, but really it is only a Double blue square. clown.gif

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun May 28, 2017 8:02 pm 
so happy you got to ski this year!

Eric Eames