Forum Index > Trail Talk > Bacon-Blum Traverse questions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Porkrind
Porkrind

Porkrind
Porkrind
PostFri May 26, 2017 10:45 am 
Heading to the North Cascades NP in mid-August and am interested in the 'Bacon-Blum Traverse'. From what I've researched, most enter by Watson Lakes and exit by Blum Lakes to the Baker Lake Trail. For those who have done this, a few questions: Could someone send me a map with general direction arrows. I don't necessarily want to follow the exact route, just want to avoid being way off course or cliff out. Would we need crampons, etc.? How many days would it take? Is exiting by Blum Lakes the best/only way out? (Heard it's tough) Are there any shuttles to get us back to our car? Thanks for the help.

We can't always control what happens, But you can how you respond to it.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostFri May 26, 2017 11:57 am 
some areas, such as this, should only be discussed via PM. sensitive areas require sensitive internet exposure. there are many TRs on here, and i suggest PMing folks.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri May 26, 2017 4:34 pm 
Yes, you'll want crampons (and Ice Axes). Exiting Blum is the most direct way out, but it is pretty brutal (especially if your knees are not in perfect condition) - there are other viable options though (probably not any better though, certainly equally brushy). You'll have to either set shuttle for yourself or hitchhike back up to the Watson TH. Plan on at least 6 days depending on what you want to see - strong hikers could probably do it in five, but unless you're really constrained on time there's no reason to not draw it out.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed May 31, 2017 3:51 pm 
iron wrote:
some areas, such as this, should only be discussed via PM. sensitive areas require sensitive internet exposure. there are many TRs on here, and i suggest PMing folks.
Really? Some areas deserve to get more traffic than others? Where's the logic in that? Or is it really another motive? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm all for free sharing of information, especially when it comes to routes. I don't support the secretive nature of certain groups of PNW peakbaggers and the idea that you have to ask for approval to get special withheld beta. It seems more likely that those who are in the know would prefer to deter ease of access so as keep more people out and and retain some small degree of control. For the record, I intend to go up there and make the route information public, unless someone can provide me with a good reason why I shouldn't. I've heard a lot arguments on this topic over the years and so far none of them hold water.

iron

iron
PostWed May 31, 2017 4:13 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
For the record, I intend to go up there and make the route information public, unless someone can provide me with a good reason why I shouldn't. I've heard a lot arguments on this topic over the years and so far none of them hold water.
because some areas should remain secretive. do you like your T&R lakes overwhelmed? how about the enchantments? how about the chiwaukums? what area is next? post info online. area gets popular. quality of the area is forever diminished. if you don't understand this, then you don't respect the mountains the way some of us do. i used to think it was cool to show topo lines on maps online, but then later learned better. more people = more overuse and abuse. according to people in the know, the blum area is already overrun. why add to it? why is there a need to share every detail? can't something be left to discover (relatively speaking) on our own? i doubt any person you'd send a PM to about a particular area would be hesitant to share their info with you. it might not be the line on the map like you're hoping to have spoon fed to you, but you're skilled enough to know how to piece it together. honestly, i kind of wish sites like NWH and WTA didn't exist anymore. the people are great. we all have passion for this activity. but the abuse that stems from the publicity is significant. and, unlike in the harvey manning days, boots on the ground aren't saving anything anymore. roads are closed left and right. wilderness is already set aside (unless 45 declares wilderness unnecessary). etc etc.

iron

iron
PostWed May 31, 2017 4:19 pm 
further, i will add this: when i first started hiking off-trail in obscure places, i thought it was the greatest thing ever. you get this sense like you're the first person that's ever been there. now, put in a boot path (see: ptarmigan traverse) and now this uber remote experience is no different than the PCT which has a decidedly different flavor to it. nice? sure. the same? no way. i think you can appreciate this, but perhaps not.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed May 31, 2017 4:27 pm 
You have some strong points. If all goes as planned I'll be up there in the snow with zero impact to vegetation. I still think we can't control who and how many visit certain areas without more road closures. Ultimately with population growth, it's going to happen. It's a personal choice whether to share beta or not. I'll have to think about it. To each their own. I really can't imagine an area this difficult to reach ever getting crowded unless a trail is built. I've been up to the top of Blum and that route is just never going to be popular. Those who are really worried about crowding in the mountains should petition to close as many access roads as possible.

mountainsandsound

mountainsandsound
PostWed May 31, 2017 9:38 pm 
I dig your logic, iron. You pretty much distilled my feelings into words. And I'll be the first to say I'd hate for an "attitude" to develop among off-trail hikers or mountaineers, but I've never seen it, at least never on the trail or at the trailhead. I was a surfer in my previous life and the not-infrequent attitude aspect of that hobby was a huge bummer. PMs or personal interactions are different than trip reports posted on the internet.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed May 31, 2017 11:13 pm 
iron wrote:
because some areas should remain secretive. do you like your T&R lakes overwhelmed? how about the enchantments? how about the chiwaukums? what area is next?
i'm with Iron. The Washington Hikers & Climbers group on Facebook is a prime example of this. There are 50,000 members. Think about that. Someone posts some pretty pictures and a description of a place and everyone is all "Oh, I gotta go there!" and the next thing you know that hike is a total mob scene where before it wasn't. Now, areas like the Blum area certainly weed out a good majority of people, but if even 1% of those 50,000 decides they should do a particular route because of info published online that not only draws it to their attention but makes it easy for them (the routefinding part at least), that's 500 people in a remote area that wouldn't have seen that kind of traffic previously. Hell, even 1/2% is a big number for remote, infrequently traveled areas. I guess it's inevitable given continuous population growth that every remote area will eventually get overrun, but I'd like to see that eventuality put off as far as possible.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostThu Jun 01, 2017 4:40 am 
Perhaps NWH should charge a membership fee which proceeds go toward environmental/trail type stuff. Then make it to where you have to have a membership to read the trip reports and other threads. I know this has probably come up before and other sites do it. That This area has simply become too crowded is the main problem IMO. How to stop that? It's not my prerogative to lock the door behind me. But if I could...

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jun 01, 2017 8:01 am 
I'm with Iron on all points. Please please please never post red line maps of routes lacking treads, lest treads will develop and the place will be changed for the worse. Compared to other trailless alpine areas of NCNP, once up high there is much route flexibility in the Bacon/Hagan/Blum/Berdeen area, and that translates to great opportunities to explore. Look at the map and figure out what goes. If you lack the chops to do that, go elsewhere and develop those chops.
Porkrind wrote:
Is exiting by Blum Lakes the best/only way out? (Heard it's tough)
Only? No. Look at the map. Yes, it's tough although if you stay on the climber's tread (not so easy in places) it's less tough than some other ingress/egress routes into the area, e.g., Porkbelly Ridge, Ipsoot Lake.

gb

gb
PostThu Jun 01, 2017 8:57 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
I'm with Iron on all points. Please please please never post red line maps of routes lacking treads, lest treads will develop and the place will be changed for the worse. Compared to other trailless alpine areas of NCNP, once up high there is much route flexibility in the Bacon/Hagan/Blum/Berdeen area, and that translates to great opportunities to explore. Look at the map and figure out what goes. If you lack the chops to do that, go elsewhere and develop those chops.
Porkrind wrote:
Is exiting by Blum Lakes the best/only way out? (Heard it's tough)
Only? No. Look at the map. Yes, it's tough although if you stay on the climber's tread (not so easy in places) it's less tough than some other ingress/egress routes into the area, e.g., Porkbelly Ridge, Ipsoot Lake.
Absolutely. It is wonderful in nature to find places that don't show the signs of significant human impact. It is what wilderness is all about. Besides, what sense of adventure is there when "cookie cutter" adventures are available throughout wild lands. Part of adventure is discovering something new - and that sense of adventure is diminished when one follows a GPS without any sense of route finding. Many of the places we are lucky enough to be able to visit, including the areas above Baker Lake, are not all that difficult to route find with a map and a mind engaged in route finding. The most problematic areas involve brush.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jun 01, 2017 9:55 am 
Well said, gb. The seemingly endless route possibilities up high is a big part of what makes the area so special and results in the lack of treads.
gb wrote:
The most problematic areas involve brush
or cliffy timber.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostThu Jun 01, 2017 10:52 am 
I think it could be argued that there exists an unhealthy aversion to failing to meet the trip's objective with the ensuing micromanagement of anything that would be viewed as a setback. Such an attitude doesn't develop a full appreciation for the wilderness (it's dangers and rewards) and IMO, kinda robs the adventurer of what makes it an adventure in the first place. Besides, one doesn't become a seasoned hiker/closer without a good amount of failure along the way. At least that's how I feel when I remember past miseries in the mountains. That and the fact that I've observed that few people, in later years, reminisce about the times when all went well. They tend to talk most fondly of when things went to sh--. Not that I'm hoping the OP's trip isn't successful or enjoyable. I'm just saying that one shouldn't make the mistake of thinking that failure to meet the objective makes the trip a failure or that you'll miss out on a wonderful life experience. Often it can give life substance that you can't get any other way.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostThu Jun 01, 2017 7:08 pm 
Are trip reports for the ego? Especially places that are sensitive areas?