Forum Index > Trail Talk > Sauer's Mtn closure
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat May 27, 2017 1:09 am 
Per WTA: Due to concerns of overcrowding, the private property owner who developed the trail up Sauer's Mountain has requested the public refrain from visiting this trail. http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/sauer-mountain Not surprising, but still a bummer.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat May 27, 2017 7:23 am 
I was up there day before yesterday and he was selling his wine at the trailhead. The viewpoint trail is closed with a "No Trespassing" sign but a steep bypass trail has been built.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat May 27, 2017 10:32 am 
Is the bypass trail not on his land?

Schroder

Schroder
PostSat May 27, 2017 2:36 pm 
You start on Sauer's property, the trail branches left to the viewpoint or right to the mountain. As you approach the viewpoint, there's a Forest Service Land sign and a "No Trespassing" sign for continuing on. A new trail has been cut sharply uphill to avoid the neighbor's property. If you head on the branch toward the mountain, you enter Forest Service Land. I think the issue is limited parking and people blocking driveways.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSat May 27, 2017 2:58 pm 
Schroder wrote:
You start on Sauer's property, the trail branches left to the viewpoint or right to the mountain. As you approach the viewpoint, there's a Forest Service Land sign and a "No Trespassing" sign for continuing on. A new trail has been cut sharply uphill to avoid the neighbor's property. If you head on the branch toward the mountain, you enter Forest Service Land. I think the issue is limited parking and people blocking driveways.
also according to a post on the Washington Hikers and Selfie Pics facebook group, a hiker's loose dog killed the guy's chickens

Dalekz

Dalekz
PostSat May 27, 2017 5:01 pm 
If you want to get to the top of Sauer's mountain there are alt routes. When I was there a couple of people came in from a road somewhere on the North or East of it and said it was easy. Need to look at maps. Unfortunately going that way you miss the trail art!!!

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat May 27, 2017 5:44 pm 
Victim of its own success. I'm sure the neighbors are happier. Fair to say that "we", NWHikers, WTA, you know, the Internets all played a role. dizzy.gif Lots of other places to visit, or as Dalekz said, alternate routes.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat May 27, 2017 6:27 pm 
^ nwhikers.net and WTA are not responsible for other people's idiocy.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat May 27, 2017 6:41 pm 
I said, "...played a role..." in popularizing this hike. 90 Trip Reports on WTA. It's a fact, not fake news. Unfortunately, popularity brings out idiots, too.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat May 27, 2017 9:04 pm 
Saw the writing on the wall with this when trip reports started coming in with more frequency a few years ago. I personally cringed with each one. The landowners were gracious to share with us!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
iron

iron
PostSat May 27, 2017 9:18 pm 
crazy. we were up last weekend for the first (and last?) time. very crowded for sure. lots of people coming from the seattle area. the owner was very friendly despite looking like the grim reaper with his sickle. most of the people we saw taking off on the hike started going the wrong way...

mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSun May 28, 2017 5:43 am 
Crazy ... It's super far from Seattle and there are so many alternatives. It's not like Mr Sauer has more flowers on his patch of land ...

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSun May 28, 2017 9:07 am 
Sauer's Mountain is a pretty good place for spring wildflower diplays. I am trying to think of actual trails in the area that match it and am having a hard time. There are also rarities there, Paeonia brownii and disjunct Trillium petiolatum, plus a gorgeous display of Penstemon cardwellii at the summit. Lots of factors here. In Europe there are "open fields" laws that generally allow hiker access on private land, so folks can spread out and impact is minimal except in a few spots. Here, we have Sauer's Mountain and a zillion places with "NO TRESPASSING" signs (for the record, my private land near Leavenworth is not marked, you would be welcome to visit except you would have to pass numerous "NO TRESPASSING" signs on other parcels to get there). In many places, a thin strip of private land prevents all access to public land behind it, which is the subject of an important lawsuit in Montana right now. Chelan County does an inadequate job of marking public access routes into public land, causing me to zoom on maps until they are fuzzy to see if the public land actually touches the public right-of-way. I will forever be grateful to the charming Mr. Sauer for allowing public access, in the face of what I suspect was continual harassment from his neighbors. It makes me sick to think that his hospitality cost him his chickens.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
nordique

nordique
PostSun May 28, 2017 4:54 pm 
We had a great trip up Sauer's Mt, and some quality time with Mr Sauer on May 18th--on a weekday: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nordique/albums/72157680858035464 For old folks like our hiking gang, it's a unique annual spring hike and fun to hang out with Mr Sauer as he supervises parking, chats, and sells us his son's wine--and so many great views and flower photo ops!

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostSun May 28, 2017 7:23 pm 
I noticed land up there for sale was wondering what the deal was