Forum Index > Trip Reports > Eagle Rock - Burch Ridge / Plateau (Wenatchee)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu May 25, 2017 12:49 pm 
With the see saw weather forecast and a road impassable due to ruts we had to come up with a backup trip close to get some miles. The wind was gusting pretty good for several days and was to continue to do so on Wed. I met Steve at the end of Burch Mtn. road where I parked and he drove us up to the ridge in his nice new rig. The sun was out and the wind was indeed gusting so I was lathered up in zinc oxide sunscreen, had my windstopper vest, pants, and gloves on a long with sun glasses to keep my contacts from blowing out of my eyes. It Didn't feel like the end of May, but it worked. We followed the tree'd ridge West to Eagle Rock where it was all most impossible to stand, but Steve did get a reading of 35.7 mph sustained winds on the open summit, we took some pics and we were out of there hiking below and around South Burch and towards the ridge route to North Burch's summit. We came upon a road and thought there is a plateau out this way I haven't been out to so we walked a road that dead ended then hiked off trail to the edge looking down at Swakane Canyon and across it at Swakane Peak and the Balcony we hiked off trail through fairly open woods to another point took some photos then walked back and descended back to the regular road following it out to North Burch. The ridge is known for it's great views, but it appeared very unsettled and snowing around Cashmere and the Chiwaukums. We were able to get to a low section of the summit below some rock and it was very warm in the absence of wind, we took a long lunch, had coffee, and Steve commented on how infrequent it is to see the area still green this late in May. Eventually we hiked back getting a few wildflower shots in when able. 12 miles, 1000' r/t
Steve fighting the wind to get a wind speed reading from my Brunton Weather Station. We had 35.7 mph on Eagle Rock.
Steve fighting the wind to get a wind speed reading from my Brunton Weather Station. We had 35.7 mph on Eagle Rock.
Mission Ridge - Twin Peaks
Mission Ridge - Twin Peaks
Entiat Ridge from Big Bend to Swakane Peak
Entiat Ridge from Big Bend to Swakane Peak
Eightmile and Cashmere
Eightmile and Cashmere
Iron - Miller - Three Bros. - Navaho etc...
Iron - Miller - Three Bros. - Navaho etc...
Looking East at Entiat Ridge - Swakane Canyon - Burch Mountain
Looking East at Entiat Ridge - Swakane Canyon - Burch Mountain
The Balcony a 4900' highpoint on Entiat Ridge just West of Swakane Peak from across Swakane Canyon. Great open spot for views.
The Balcony a 4900' highpoint on Entiat Ridge just West of Swakane Peak from across Swakane Canyon. Great open spot for views.
Bad Ass
Bad Ass

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostThu May 25, 2017 1:12 pm 
I love how green those hills are right now.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu May 25, 2017 1:18 pm 
nice up.gif
wildernessed wrote:
Is this the Enchantments? I'm guessing that's McClellan and Little Annapurna towards the left end of the main grouping.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu May 25, 2017 3:31 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
nice up.gif
wildernessed wrote:
Is this the Enchantments? I'm guessing that's McClellan and Little Annapurna towards the left end of the main grouping.
Yes the uplift is impressive from that view point.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu May 25, 2017 8:08 pm 
Say! That's a mighty fine looking rig Steve got. Can't wait to take a trip to the TH in it.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri May 26, 2017 7:16 am 
Heading North and Steve is driving so you have your chance. Rides nice and built like a tank. A little more stout than the Toyota low rider we got most everywhere in 10 years ago.

oneeyedfatman

oneeyedfatman
PostFri May 26, 2017 11:19 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
and a road impassable due to ruts
What road are you referring to? The one out to the north summit of Burch? I was up on Burch Mountain on May 14. I had planned to hike from the south summit to the north after reading a report that made the road in between sound impassable. But I decided to let Bessie have a try, and she made it to within 1/4 mi. of the north summit.
Bessie, a 2000 Subaru Outback with 263,000 miles on her, still has some grit in her gut.
Bessie, a 2000 Subaru Outback with 263,000 miles on her, still has some grit in her gut.
The road definitely had some deeply rutted sections, as well as big potholes and road-straddling puddles made by the ORV crowd, but it wasn't the worst Bessie and I have been on. Like you, we had unsettled weather, with a mix of clouds, rain, and sunbreaks rolling down the Wenatchee valley all afternoon. Made me wish I had a stop-action camera and a few hours to linger.
Amazing play of light and clouds, looking down Nahahum Canyon to the town of Cashmere.
Amazing play of light and clouds, looking down Nahahum Canyon to the town of Cashmere.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat May 27, 2017 5:30 am 
I was referring to another road Burch Mountain Rd. is in good condition all the way gating it was a good idea.