Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Solar eclipse 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue May 16, 2017 5:09 pm 
Yeah, some part of that crap ton has now booked all the lodging along the I84 Oregon corridor for Sunday night. I had a plan similar to drm's, only staying the night in lodging north of totality, then driving south on Monday morning. I began to fear crowds with the same idea - in numbers only a physicist would understand (a phrase borrowed from John McPhee) - would be clogging Oregon's roads. And that I would get stuck in a massive traffic jam, missing the main event. So I changed my plan.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 16, 2017 5:49 pm 
FWIW: the Oregon state parks site has a sites full for Eclipse banner on it. Not only are all conventional campsites anywhere near totality booked up, but they have even added overflow and creative sites (day use picnic sites, any flat areas with grass ) they are also bringing in lots of porta-potties and such to support the load. And everything is booked up -- at least along the coast.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue May 16, 2017 5:59 pm 
AR, I think you're reading it correctly and this is what I have advised the aquaintances coming of the woodwork with questions about my plans and locations. IF you are not in place the day before, *minimum*, IMO your chances of being stuck 20 miles outside totality in a 90 mile long two lane parking lot for hours are very, very high. The 'bypass the fuss by leaving really super early' trick is one I keep hearing. Then theres...getting OUT! You know big events where people show up at their own pace, but all try to leave at once? That.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu May 18, 2017 9:20 pm 
Interestingly, there still looks to be space available at the mult-day solar events in Madras and at Big Summit Prairie. There are a variety of lodging options available for some not-so-small fees. Camping in one's own tent, camping in sites with all gear provided, on up to air-conditioned "container" lodging. These locations are definitely not for the frugal or crowd averse, but could be reasonable options for some. Madras, Oregon Solarfest Solar Eclipse Gathering in Big Summit Prairie And this: Madras private camping and parking

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri May 19, 2017 8:54 am 
Quote:
You know big events where people show up at their own pace, but all try to leave at once?
Yup. Especially with it being monday, I bet people trickle in slowly, many making a weekend trip out of it... and then all try to get back to SEA and PDX that evening. I bet the worst traffic is just afterwards.

Trail Angel

Trail Angel
PostWed May 24, 2017 5:37 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Hot, but clear.
Hot, yes, for sure. Clear, not necessarily. Often August has smokey skies and big thunderstorms.

drm

drm
PostFri May 26, 2017 3:45 pm 
So maybe it will be a good day to go somewhere ELSE, away from the eclipse, that you love, but that is normally too crowded. Just imagine going the opposite way of all those people stuck in a linear parking lot and waving. Keep in mind that places 50 miles away might still get a 98% eclipse, and in Seattle I read that it works out to 64% covered. So it will still be a decent show from elsewhere - but you still need the special glasses even for 98%. Don't make it the last thing you ever see!

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri May 26, 2017 4:25 pm 
98% doesn't cut it. 99% doesn't cut it. 100% is the experience of a lifetime. Some of us don't have that much lifetime left. drm, good to remind about safe viewing. Everything from .01% to 99.99% requires eclipse glasses specifically designed for vision protection. However, the seconds/minutes of totality are completely safe to view with the naked eye. I got mine here: Eclipse Glasses. They are incredibly inexpensive. This leads me to wonder how safe it is to watch sunsets directly without eclipse glasses. I use sunglasses, but they only block visible light, not the eye damaging rays.

mike

mike
PostFri May 26, 2017 5:21 pm 
I use welding lenses

Adohrn

Adohrn
PostFri May 26, 2017 7:38 pm 
Many different varieties of wielding googles/glasses designed for different types of wielding. For those that don't know use only Shade 14. If you can see through them in normal light (not staring at the sun) they are definitely not shade 14. Shade 5 and the like give the world a grey or green tint and are definitely not safe to use. Shades lower than 14 will only block some of the light allowing you to comfortably stare at the sun while slowly burning a hole in your retina. Shade 14 is not normally used in commercial applications. If you want to get it locally from a trusted source most likely it will need to be special order. Plan accordingly. Lens $1-2 and googles that let you wear your prescription glasses under 10-20 dollars.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat May 27, 2017 2:43 pm 
While taking a navy ship from west coast to east coast we were in st. thomas for the 1970 solar eclipse. We didnt have special glasses so we made shadow boxes. way kewl.