Forum Index > Trip Reports > A worthy attempt of Mount Sir Donald's Northwest Ridge - May 19-21, 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostMon May 29, 2017 7:23 pm 
Working up in Edmonton the past ~8 months now has given me the chance to explore a bit of the Canadian Rockies and eastern BC. I was able to do more ice climbing this past winter than normal, and while the transition to summer alpine climbing season has felt incredibly slow, my gf Elaine and a friend from Vancouver (Dorian) joined me for a hard earned attempt of Mount Sir Donald over the Victoria Day weekend (a long holiday weekend in Canada). We spent 3 days on our attempt, and got about 125 meters from the summit before we were forced to turn back due to getting timed out, as I didn't want to descend the ridge in the dark. After making the now usual feeling two hour drive from Edmonton to Calgary to meet Elaine, we drove most of the way to Golden BC where we crashed for the rest of the night. Dorian was taking an overnight bus from Vancouver to Golden and we were picking him up at 6am. Our original plan was to try and head into the Bugaboos for the long weekend but decided Rogers Pass would offer better approaches, so we thought we could get up and down Sir Donald in a couple days, then do a second climb for the next two days, filling the 4 day weekend we had. Needless to say, such is common in springtime, that isn't exactly how it happened.
The stoke is high!
The stoke is high!
The trip started out mostly as planned, apart from the short spur road leading to the Sir Donald Campground being completely covered with 5-10 feet of snow, ice, trees, rocks etc from a humongous avalanche over the winter. We were forced to park at a rest area right on the Trans Canada a few hundred meters down from the turnoff and walk the half mile up the covered road. The amount of work needed to clear that road (and rebuild much of it) will take most of the summer I would guess.
Loving life!
Loving life!
Once we got all packed up, and decided exactly what gear to bring, we started walking over all the debris. An hour or so later we reached the trailhead, and started up the snow covered trail. It didn't take long until we couldn't follow it anymore so we simply followed the creek bed for a while, navigating a boulderfield, then aiming left for the slope leading right to Sir Donald. We could see the mountain towering nearly 6000 feet above us, and the NW ridge looked mighty snowy but our hopes were still high. Once we reached the base of the open slope we put snowshoes on and took turns plowing up deep, but consolidated snow. Snowshoes were definitely a life saver though especially as we increased elevation. There was just enough cloud cover to make us not overheat too much, and by about 4pm we reached a small moraine with just enough bare rock to provide a nice dry place to sit and relax. We made a kickass pair of tent pads on the snow right next to the rocks to set up camp, and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon stretching out the legs, studying the route (looked decent from camp!), and cooking dinner. We also got some sick photos of our camp with the surrounding peaks and was able to watch the sunset.
So we set the alarms for 6am and planned to start up by 7. After a quick breakfast we stuck to that plan, and made the 700 foot ascent up moderate snow slopes to the NW ridge, which we gained a bit above the low saddle. We all initially were able to solo scramble up a bit until we hit the first steep rise in the ridge which we broke out the rope and I led up and around the left of and regained the ridge at the bivy site. There was already a lot of snow to contend with climbing here, and I was digging my hands into the snow at times for holds! Dorian continued up the next bit and we simul-climbed the entire way from this point on. He would go until he ran out of gear then make an anchor for us to climb to him, then I would lead doing the same thing and so forth. Since this was Elaine's first climb of this magnitude she stayed in the middle. Many times Dorian and I had to excavate through snow to find both hand and foot holds, and everything was wet and slick, covered in lichen that made the climbing even scarier. I led a pitch that took us up some beautiful flakes, and across a mellower south facing slab (which was the top of the rappel route we noticed when I spotted bolts). This part of the climb was drier and warm in the sun, but the next pitch that Dorian led was definitely the crux, as we had to climb left of the large overhang in the shade, with steeper terrain covered with more snow. He completely ran out of gear just as he managed to get to a nice ledge on the ridge once again in the sun.
Once we reached this point, the climbing eased up, and we were able to stay on the sunny side much more, but there was still enough snow and wet rock to warrant staying roped, and since Dorian expended a lot of effort leading the last pitch I led the remainder of the climbing we did. Staying mostly of the right side of the ridge avoiding the snow to the left (thinking it was always a huge cornice), we made slow but steady progress up class 4-low 5th terrain until we finally reached the final summit pyramid. There was a few times I literally tunneled my way through the snow, digging relentlessly for any rock to grab or place a piece, neither of which I was able to find. I wish i had known that the snow a few feet to my left was safe to simply kick steps into, which would have saved boatloads of energy, but I couldn't tell for sure if it was a cornice or not so I played it safe and stayed on the rock. We took one look at the remainder of the route and it was both steeper and more snowy than anything else we had done, so we decided to try the west face bypass. We traversed across the deep snow on the upper west face looking for the so called "easier" route up, but by the time we managed to sludge across the snow, we were all totally spent, and it was already 5pm. We decided it was wise to forgo the final 400 feet, take a nice break to enjoy the views, and begin the descent so we wouldn't get caught up there in the dark.
Sums up the day
Sums up the day
Group shot from turnaround point
Group shot from turnaround point
We had one last bit of discussion but determined we needed to start down, so we traversed back across the snow slope, as small sloughs of snow passed by us sliding down the mountain, and as I led us down the upper ridge, I could now see the snow going down the north side of the ridge and noticed they were not in fact unsupported cornices, but were in fact huge accumulations of snow supported by about 400-500 feet worth of rock leading down the north slopes. This made the descent much easier as we could easily kick steps down the snow, all the way until the first slung rappel anchor. We made two single rope rappels off slings already placed, and we then spotted the first pair of bolts. I was so thankful to find them since we didn't see much of any bolts on our route of ascent. I was worried we would have to leave tons of slings, as we only had one 60 meter rope. We were able to find every bolted anchor amazingly and made 4 single rope rappels down the ridge, the 4th being a really scary traversing rappel down the large overhang back to the sunny slab at the base of our crux pitch. From there we made the final 6 rappels down the slab (bypassing the lower difficulties of the ridge itself), until we reached the snow covered slopes. As we made the final few raps down the slab, the sun was setting and we enjoyed a gorgeous sunset with a glowing orange and red on all the surrounding mountains. By the time we got to easier terrain plunging down the snow slopes it got dark, and by about 11:30pm we stumbled our way back to our camp! We had initially hoped to summit and hike back down the same day, but I really underestimated the amount of time it would take to climb this ridge when covered in snow. Had it been dry I would have felt comfortable soloing the vast majority of the route, and could have done it in a few hours, but with the snow we had to deviate from the ridge many times climbing both harder rock sections, and wet on top of that. We were climbing 10.5 hours before we decided to turn back and it took us an additional 5 to get back to camp. It was a very long day to not reach the summit, but now I am even more excited to return in the summer and see what the route looks like when it's dry.
We immediately went to sleep, as we were all exhausted and I had to convince all of us that we do not in fact suck at climbing, but the route really was twice as hard as usual and no one typically does this route in mid May...however I still couldn't fully convince us that there are probably people who would easily solo the route in the same conditions we had in a few hours. Maybe I do suck at climbing who knows lol. One thing for sure though is I was very certain we would make the summit on this trip, so not making it was an eye opener. The next morning we slept in, and emerged when the sun reached our tents (we couldn't have asked for better weather), and set our gear out to dry. We slowly packed up camp and didn't start hiking out until around noon. We pretty much wore the snowshoes the entire way down, which definitely involved quite a bit of snowshoe skiing! A few hours of trudging later we reached the campground again and finished the walk back to the rest area where we were parked. We actually saw other humans hiking the road, which were the first we saw in 3 days. Once back at the car we dried our gear, and eventually made our way back to Golden where we grabbed pizza, beer, and drove to a camp spot up a dirt road to sleep more. We also saw a grizzly mother with two cubs right on the highway! We sat on a hill above Golden to enjoy the afternoon with beers overlooking Golden and the surrounding mountains. Summer is definitely here in the lowlands.
For the final day of our long weekend, we decided to head to Spillmacheen for some sport climbing, rather than try another alpine route on Rogers Pass. We really wanted to climb something on Tupper, but that will have to wait until later this summer.

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon May 29, 2017 7:50 pm 
That sounds like an exhausting day of climbing. Sorry you didn't summit but you were in a beautiful setting. Great pictures. I got a good look at Sir Donald, I believe it was from the Abbott Ridge trail. That is one stunning mountain. Hopefully you'll have much better conditions and have no problems on your next attempt.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue May 30, 2017 12:20 am 
The Canadian Rockies. They are awesome!!!!

Art is an adventure.
jbaillie

jbaillie
PostTue May 30, 2017 3:42 am 
Great Job, a the pictures brought back memories. I climbed it in 1985 on July 1st and it still had a lot of snow. We were told later that mid-July was normally the earliest it was climbed. It was also much longer and harder than we expected. 23hrs r.t. from the old CAC hut. Again great job, in particular the difficult decision making. Jerry

Jerry
trent
Suffering fool

trent
Suffering fool
PostTue May 30, 2017 12:36 pm 
Nice effort! It certainly is a route worthy of a return.

It's all downhill from here!
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue May 30, 2017 2:26 pm 
Stefan wrote:
The Canadian Rockies. They are awesome!!!!
^ This! Thanks for the eye candy. One of my favorite places.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostFri Jun 02, 2017 1:51 pm 
It took us a couple of tries to get Sr. Donald. We got rained off the first time, and that lichen is more slippery than snake snot when wet as you found. Worth the effort to go back, though, it is well deserving of its 50 Classics status. Particularly on a sunny day. . . .

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
gb

gb
PostFri Jun 02, 2017 4:57 pm 
I've done Sir Donald, twice in the early 80's and then again in 2010. Much older on the recent climb, I found it quite long - longer than I like nowadays. Back in the day we soloed it. The bypass route of the summit block did not at that time exist as it is now. There was a large rockslide sometime after my first climb. When we descended in 2010 we came down the bypass when melted out. It was scary; slabby and dirty with no protection and a certain death fall in a slip. When dry, it is much better to stay on the ridge in my view. Also, Sir Donald is not a great choice when wet as the rock is quartzite which is slick as snot when wet. When dry, I would recommend rock shoes. There are a number of places where it is easier to climb slabs just west of the crest about 1/2 way up.

xuanxier

xuanxier
PostFri Jun 02, 2017 11:38 pm 
That's some solid effort Matt. I think I saw you on Facebook too but anyway, congraz on the climb even though you didn't make the top. In dry condition this will be easy peasy for you guys as I can't even think about climbing MSD with snow on. A couple years ago friend and I ascended the route in summer as a single push from car to car. No sleep the night before. We are all very competent scramblers so free solo'ed the whole thing and then down-climbed until the second-to-last station above the official rappel route. But inexperienced in rope work meant we then spent hours and hours dealing with tangled rope as I brought my brand new rope up the mountain which was coiled differently than what I normally do. Didn't know that and didn't come prepared... I agree that the crux is the pitch just above the rappel slabs. Soloing it (dry, on rock shoes) was at the boundary of my limits. http://stevensong.com/mount-sir-donald