Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Troublesome Creek - Help fill in a strange blank.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mine Explorer

Mine Explorer
PostFri Jun 02, 2017 10:04 am 
Troublesome, per original post. Not much to see at the Comet

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Feb 09, 2021 8:06 am 
Interesting area

Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostWed Feb 10, 2021 8:40 am 
Does anyone remember the old miners cabin in the Troublesome Creek area? It was alongside the road across from the river and he had a mine up the old road close to where his house was. That cabin has probably been gone 30+ years ago. Been up to his mining area several times but now that road is heavily overgrown, and if you did not know where to look you may not find it easily. At the end of the road is where his mine was.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Feb 10, 2021 9:03 am 
Are you talking the one down river from Troublesome Campground? Wasn't it right along side the road? Was the road to the mine further down stream? If you look at Joey's link I think it shows in yellow https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?center=47.909746,-121.461067&zoom=14&basemap=ESRI_scanned_topo_USA&overlay=Trail_yellow,Trail_black,Motor_road_open,Motor_road_closed&txtfile=https://mappingsupport.com/p2/special_maps/recreation/USFS_recreation.txt

Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostWed Feb 10, 2021 10:19 am 
That's the one. My brother-in-law, Rod, knew that man. Rod's dad had a house along the road coming from Index right after the turn that will take you across the North Fork bridge headed up Silver/Salmon Creek. Rod's family usually spent each summer up there in the 60's and 70's. Family still owns the property but the house is long gone.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Feb 10, 2021 10:33 am 
I haven't been down that way in quite some time. Is he still able to access his property after the washout? Once (if) they fix the road there will be more people up that way. Still quite a few venturing over from Jacks Pass but most seem to go up Blanca TH has been my experience. I remember driving by the old cabin when I was a kid thinking boy that cabins close to the road. My dad contracted with the USFS to drop a big danger fir tree near the bridge. Probably got a half rack of Lucky Logger's out of the deal. wink.gif

Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson
PostWed Feb 10, 2021 11:39 am 
We were there last October. Had to go over Jacks Pass to get there. Posted the property as there is some potential encroachment.

Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Feb 11, 2021 4:35 pm 
Steve Erickson wrote:
Does anyone remember the old miners cabin in the Troublesome Creek area? It was alongside the road across from the river
That cabin is one of my earliest memories driving up that road, especially riding up with my folks as a kid to find a Christmas tree.

Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Feb 11, 2021 4:50 pm 
As long as we're reviving this old thread, I used to go up Troublesome Creek a lot back in the 60's and 70's. There was a pretty good trail on the west side of the creek through groves of the largest trees I know of in the area. There was a miner's cabin near the confluence of the East Fork out of Blanca Lake and the West Fork out of Twin Lakes. In the 80's I went part way down the West Fork on a search for a missing hiker from Twin Lakes. It's very brushy up at the headwaters.

Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostThu Feb 11, 2021 5:26 pm 
This is the cabin site shortly after the 1980 flood. The cabin is just out of frame to the left. The man pictured I thought was the owner at the time I took the photo. The cabin still stood at that point but burned to the ground somewhere before the repair of the road a year or so later. The burning was attributed by local lore to the USFS, and the rebuilt road shifted a bit that way away from the river. I think if you nose around in the area traces of occupation can still be found. Post-1980 flood it was possible to skinny a vehicle between the cabin and the washout pictured, through the front yard so to speak, and drive on up as far as the really impassible washout not far past San Juan CG. I've been to the mine up the hill from there. I don't know what they were after, but the gangue around the portal is heavily studded with garnets. Pretty spot, probably seldom visited.