Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon May 29, 2017 9:39 pm 
Tom wrote:
I lost my GPS once. After that my navigation skills improved dramatically. Actually prefer to navigate with map and compass now. Always nice to have a GPS as a backup but if I'm bringing a luxury item prefer a pillow.
Not to hijack this thread... Thermarest makes a stuff sack with sil-nylon on the outside (bright yellow), and a soft pillow material on the inside. The large sack (15 Liters) contains all my clothing. At night, flip it around and stuff as desired. It's dual purpose, and not much heavier than a regular stuff sack ( 3 ounces).

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed May 31, 2017 11:39 am 
Tom wrote:
I lost my GPS once. After that my navigation skills improved dramatically. Actually prefer to navigate with map and compass now.
That's upside-down of my experience, probably because I developed solid map & compass navigation skills before a decent handheld GPSr unit was available. By the time I got a practicably functional GPSr unit in the late 1990s, it actually enhanced my pretty well-developed map & compass navigation skills, mostly because the GPSr allowed me to pinpoint my exact position on the map. Our different experiences underscore my view that a novice mountain traveler should first develop solid map & compass navigation skills, and to deem a GPSr unit as merely a supplemental tool.

schifferj

schifferj
PostMon Jun 05, 2017 8:00 am 
Lot of map and compass guys on here. I learned the art of map and compass from my father when I was a boyscout. He, in turn, learned from the US Army during WW II. I perfected my skills during the SE Asia conflict. All that said, I would much rather go afield with a good GPS (my current one is a garmin 600). That GPS provides me with a plethora of information not available on any paper map I've ever seen. It will tell me exactly (and very accurately I might add) exactly how much elevation gain (loss) I will encounter between my present location and my destination. It will tell me when I'll get there. It will leave a track for me to follow back to my starting point. It will allow me to mark as many or as few waypoints as I need along the way. I can sight a spot in the distance and using sight and go mark a waypoint to navigate to. As an aside I've been using GPS as a navigation tool from it's infancy. The first one I used was the size of a carry on suitcase and there were several antennae mounted on my aircraft. It was in it's developmental stages at the time and using it we could and did bomb the eyes out of a snake. Bottom line, I love GPS. I never go out without it. I've never had one fail and I've used a lot of them. I do still carry a manual compass (and know how to use it) but never pull it out as there is one on my gps that works just as well or better as I can be moving along using it.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 05, 2017 8:20 am 
When GPS devices were a recent invention with little track record for reliablity, the idea that one should always carry a map and compass as a backup to a GPS made perfect sense. These days it seems that GPS devices have built a reputation for reliability than seems sufficent to render the "backup" notion into the "belt and suspenders" category. Sure a GPS unit can still fail (more more likely run out of battery) but it's also possible to for a compass to break or fail (big bubbles in the bezel for example) and have a map ruined. After all how many people still bring flint and tinder in addition to matches and a lighter?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jun 05, 2017 10:15 am 
Wait. You're equating map & compass to flint & tinder? dizzy.gif

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Jun 05, 2017 10:43 am 
I think it is more like bringing a lighter or matches as a back up to the piezo igniter on your stove.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 05, 2017 10:45 am 
Schenk wrote:
I think it is more like bringing a lighter or matches as a back up to the piezo igniter on your stove.
Yours is a better analogy.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Jul 10, 2017 11:28 am 
Anyone use Gaia on an android phone? I have seen a sudden rash of negative reviews for it on the android platform. Looking for a replacement for my garmin map app, which have become a major battery drain in the latest editions.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Jul 10, 2017 11:51 am 
I have it on my Android phone. If you search for it on the site, you'll find a post I made a while back about how you can get GAIA for free if you're in the Mountaineers club. My opinion of it in a nutshell:
  • The maps display far better on a large screen, high-res phone than a small-screen GPS -- so this is a big win for GAIA
  • Using GAIA, my phone is able to get a satellite lock in seconds, whereas my dedicated GPS takes much longer (sometimes a couple minutes). Plus, GAIA is able to use the Russian GPS satellites, whereas my GPS only uses U.S. satellites. Another win for GAIA.
  • The battery life is far worse on a phone (even assuming airplane mode) than a dedicated GPS. To me, this is the major disadvantage, but the app is still a nice backup GPS assuming you take your phone with you.
  • There are lots of good maps and routes (almost so many routes that it's confusing) you can download from the GAIA website
  • The documentation for GAIA is scanty. There's an old manual, but as I recall, it's pretty out-of-date.
  • At least on my unit, ever since I moved the GAIA app from system memory to my memory card, the response time is much slower and sometimes it just crashes. But the App, including maps, takes up too much space to keep it on my main phone memory. Maybe I need a more modern memory card?
  • In summary, on my last two multi-day trips, I didn't use GAIA once although I used my dedicated GPS a few times each day.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jul 10, 2017 1:35 pm 
I downloaded GAIA a couple months ago. It's a cool app. I use if for bicycle rides and some hikes, although I use my dedicated GPSr for bigger trips.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Jul 10, 2017 1:41 pm 
Quote:
The battery life is far worse on a phone
What kind of life are you seeing if you don't mind me asking? I just had garmin earthmate on an S7 kill off an entire battery in 3-4 hours, in standard airplane mode with the GPS on. Seemed faster than it should be, by a lot, and that app definitely shows up in erroneous power drain checking.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jul 10, 2017 2:09 pm 
Per my rough measurements, my Garmin eTrex 10 with WAAS and GLONASS turned off, no tracking, gets 40-55 hours from fully charged NiMH AA cells: More specifically Eneloop = 40-45 hours, Eneloop Pro = c. 48-52 hours, Powerex = 50-55 hours. My 60CSX battery life is about half of that.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Jul 10, 2017 3:10 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
Quote:
The battery life is far worse on a phone
What kind of life are you seeing if you don't mind me asking?
Well, I can't give you anything exact, but I would guess the battery life on my Android phone is around 6-8 hours on airplane mode.

ejain

ejain
PostMon Jul 10, 2017 5:18 pm 
Had Gaia, but got fed up having to download map tiles prior to every hike, found the process to be slow and often flaky, especially since I'm using the phone as a backup only. Using OsmAnd now. Since this app uses vector maps rather than image tiles, I can keep all of WA on my phone all the time (~300mb).

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 12:01 pm 
ejain wrote:
Had Gaia, but got fed up having to download map tiles prior to every hike, found the process to be slow and often flaky
I have had no problems since I started the routine of downloading the tiles at home with wifi. Downloading via 4G or less is indeed slow.