Forum Index > Gear Talk > Tarptent Notch Seam Sealing - 1oz or 2oz?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
North Cascades

North Cascades
PostFri Jun 02, 2017 4:43 pm 
I plan on buying a Tarptent Notch. Those of you that have seam sealed this tent, did you feel that the 1oz seam sealing kit was enough? Did you have enough left over to paint stripes on the floor to prevent slippage? If you had to do it over, would you have ordered the 2 oz kit? My gut feeling is to order the 2 oz kit just to be sure, but 2 bucks is 2 bucks. I don't want to spend more than I have to, even if the difference is small.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Jun 03, 2017 1:49 pm 
It's hard to remember for sure, but I believe the 2 ounce tube would be better. I might have even used a 3 oz tube. Note that you can get the silicone sealer anywhere -- it's just regular old silicone sealer. But you will probably go through quite a bit, especially with the floor stripes.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Jun 03, 2017 11:03 pm 
I've seam sealed several Silnylon tents. You will want a can of mineral spirits. You can buy some premixed from tarp tent, or simply make your own with GE Silicon Sealent II Clear. (100% silicon). I use flux brushes (plumbing soldering section) since they're cheap and a good size, and I can change them out as needed. Also a 1 inch foam brush for the floor. A small plastic bowl works well. Add the silicon and mineral spirits, and mix until it's a good smooth consistentancy, easy to spread without being too thin. The mineral spirits will need to be occasionly added as it evaporates. If you try just the premix it will get fairly gooey and hard to apply evenly toward the end of the container. Thus you will want mineral spirits regardless.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
North Cascades

North Cascades
PostSun Jun 04, 2017 8:25 am 
Hmm, sounds like I'd better mix my own. I already have access to mineral spirits. A ~3oz tube of undiluted sealant costs the same as one of the premix kits while providing a lot more coverage. Thanks for the replies. I was hesitant to mix my own at first but after reading the replies here and on a couple of other sites I feel better about it.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Jun 04, 2017 10:37 am 
Set the tent up where you'll have access to all sides. Take your time and start with small amounts on the brush, one seam at a time. It's really not hard, just takes some patience. Simply adjust the mixture after each seam if it starts getting too gooey. I work from the outside to in, with the floor last. I usually start in the morning, and leave it out to dry for 24 hours. If it's hot enough, it could be dry by late evening.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
drilldaddyo

drilldaddyo
PostMon Jun 05, 2017 1:09 pm 
@ Inflight: Hi, I have a new tent that needs seam sealing. In reading your post it seems as if you seal the entire floor of the tent not just the seams. Or do you just use a foam "brush" to seal the floor seams? Thanks for your posts on this site, it is informative smile.gif Randy

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Jun 05, 2017 3:00 pm 
If you have floor seams you definitely need to seal them on both sides. Many people add stripes or a checkerboard pattern to the floor of the tent so it isn't quite as slick. The straight sil-nylon floor tends to have pretty low friction, making it easy for your sleeping pad to slide during the night. You could try out your pad before you do any sealing and see how your floor is in the before condition.

drilldaddyo

drilldaddyo
PostMon Jun 05, 2017 3:02 pm 
@ Inflight, Thanks for the speedy reply!