Forum Index > Gear Talk > Caldera Cone System
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun May 14, 2017 11:13 am 
Caldera Cone System users what do you think of the stove I am looking at a titanium version for use with esbitt tablets for one or two night trips mainly heating water.

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun May 14, 2017 1:34 pm 
I think they are great, though I have only used it with alcohol stoves. Personally I hate using esbit fuel tablets. YMMV The Caldera Cone system focuses the heat and serves as wind shield. Just about all you can do is boil water. And before people object to that, yes you can do cooking on it but it is a PITA. If you are going to cook, get something that is easier to cook with. You can boil water pretty fast with the Caldera Cone system. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue May 16, 2017 10:47 pm 
The Esbit Stoves and Alcohol stoves have so much less heat output then gas stoves, that they need every possible way to concentrate the heat output. So a cone makes sense with these options. A pocket rocket or a snow peak will boil water likely twice as fast, and are legal during most fire bans. A Jetboil is likely three times faster due to the better heat transfer and insulated pot. It's really a convenience vs weight trade. I still have a 16 lbs pack with a Jetboil. A cone, alcohol stove, pot, and fuel bottle would only be a four to five ounce weight savings, at ~ three times longer cook times.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed May 17, 2017 8:03 am 
I remember heating up coffee water on summits in the winter using a Vargo tablet stove. It might be a lighter choice for overnighters, but I usually split a jetboil with a friend, have a pocket rocket, and Soto on standby. I told RichP a tablet stove would not be ideal for melting the 6L of water recently.

FungiFan

FungiFan
PostFri May 19, 2017 5:46 pm 
Like Rumi we use ours only with alcohol to boil water. They are light, compact, foolproof and work fairly fast. It only takes about 10ml of alcohol (denatured) to boil a cup of water in a few minutes. There are issues with using them in areas with burn bans. FF

Stupid isn't illegal...but sure comes with consequences. Famous last words: 'Here, hold my beer and watch this.'
spacetent

spacetent
PostTue Jun 06, 2017 2:17 pm 
I love mine--it's simple, easy to use, lightweight, wind resistant, functionally tip-proof, no dealing with partially used fuel canisters, and there's another benefit no one has mentioned yet: it's completely silent. No jet engine noise in the lead up to dinner. You'll only realize substantial weight savings over canister stoves on shorter trips (~3 days) since the energy potential of alcohol is so much lower than propane/butane though. And it's much slower than canister stoves, particularly integrated canisters like Jetboil or MSR Windburner, although I just set up my tent while waiting for my water to boil. If you do get one, get a Zelph Starlyte stove to go with it--no spills! [Edit: ignore the Starlyte comment--just saw that you're planning to use Esbit. Watch out for the greasy sooty pot bottoms with those tablets though.]

No pithy signature quote will fix the crap I just wrote. Apologies. HYOH
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Jun 06, 2017 5:15 pm 
spacetent wrote:
[Edit: ignore the Starlyte comment--just saw that you're planning to use Esbit. Watch out for the greasy sooty pot bottoms with those tablets though.]
Esbit (Hexamine) when burned releases formaldehyde, and hydrogen cyanide among other gases. The greasy sooty pot bottom is more than a little toxic, so definintly watch out for it.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jun 06, 2017 8:28 pm 
up.gif Thanks for your input !