Forum Index > Gear Talk > Katadyn BeFree Water Filter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue May 30, 2017 5:12 am 
I used the filter on my recent trip with the .6L bag and it exceeded expectations great flow rate with minimal effort. I brought the 2L Dynapak reservoir but only used it for melt water. up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue May 30, 2017 5:55 am 
On the top of the mountain in Little Bridge Creek this past weekend I managed to collect a liter of water from a small trickle oozing out a muddy side hill. It was so thick you could not see through it in the collection bag. The BeFree returned crystal clear water with some visible residue on the filter. The next day when we got to running water I swished the filter in the stream and it came out looking like new. BTW, the night before I made coffee by just boiling the thick muddy water and it didn't taste bad (after I added a small bottle of Kahlua).

Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostTue May 30, 2017 7:34 am 
Good bag news. Kahtadyn responded to all the requests for a bag bigger than .6 liters and is now also selling the filter with a 1 liter bag. Choices! REI is selling the filter/1 liter bag combo for $44.95.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue May 30, 2017 7:40 am 
Alpine Pedestrian wrote:
Kahtadyn responded to all the requests for a bag bigger than .6 liters and is now also selling the filter with a 1 liter bag.
up.gif

pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostTue May 30, 2017 8:19 am 
Alpine Pedestrian wrote:
Good bag news. Kahtadyn responded to all the requests for a bag bigger than .6 liters and is now also selling the filter with a 1 liter bag. Choices! REI is selling the filter/1 liter bag combo for $44.95.
That's the one I just bought. I tried using it with water from the kitchen faucet and it works great. We'll give it a field test next month in Colorado. We're hoping to sneak in a backpack just after snow melt in the high country, but before the summer T-storm season begins. If we're successful and we actually do the backpack, I'll report back here in July about how the BeFree worked in the field. Well, it's July, I said I'd report back, so here it is: We set out on a 6 day backpack along the Colorado Trail from Little Molas Lake. The gate to the road to the trailhead was closed, so we parked the car on the first side road off the highway north of the road that goes to Little Molas Lake. We hiked cross country up a series of meadow benches interspersed with near-timberline forest. Lovely hiking. We connected to the trail on day 2 of the trip. Huge meadows with wild flowers just starting to bloom. Trail is up high, between 11,500 and 12,500, AND passed many many gushing streams and waterfalls very near the source. Would you believe we didn't use the filter once?! No need to, what with water at/near the source throughout the hike.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue May 30, 2017 4:03 pm 
Had mine out for the first time this weekend. Only filtered clean spring water, but boy is it fast and easy.

schifferj

schifferj
PostMon Jun 05, 2017 8:03 pm 
I took one on a four day into Hell's Canyon as a backup for my tried and true Sawyer. It worked so well that the Sawyer never got wet. I'm kinda hooked. Am a bit disappointed that it's not compatible with the hydrapak stash collapsible bottles as the 2l seeker is a bit large. On the trip I filtered water from crystal clear side streams, not so clear Snake River, and the very muddy Salmon river. Worked great in all cases. Saw the new 1 liter model in REI today and I was jealous. Anyone know if I can just buy a 1 liter befree bottle?

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jun 07, 2017 5:29 am 
I used the 2L and 3L reservoirs over the last couple weeks worked great. I originally bought the 3L Seeker last year as a reservoir and melted snow with a jet boil and sun on a rock a few days ago both pack up nicely using less space in my hydration kit / pack. Liking it !

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jul 04, 2017 11:59 am 
With a trip where I didn't need to melt water just filled the 3L Seeker with stream water put the filter on and just squeeze filtered as needed at camp.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Jul 04, 2017 2:05 pm 
Looks like the same filter specs as the Sawyer. I blame you all for making me pick up yet another filter to tryout! I still have an MSR pump, Steripen, and Sawyer. Pretty sure I've used every chemical cocktail available to treat water as well. The regular 0.6 liter seems like a nice size for the day-back.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Jul 04, 2017 4:19 pm 
InFlight wrote:
I blame you all for making me pick up yet another filter to tryout!
Me too! Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jul 05, 2017 10:33 am 
Now I would like to get the 1L bag to replace the .6L.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Aug 23, 2017 6:11 am 
1. I have noticed a white foam when heating filtered water that disappears once it reaches near boiling temps. 2. Twice the filter once rinsed post trip and allowed to dry on the next trip I couldn't squeeze water through it. The first time I let it soak in a lake after which it worked fine. The second time it slowly dribbled then regained much of it''s original flow but required quite a lot of squeeze pressure initially.