Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Is it a right?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jun 07, 2017 11:33 am 
I am indeed. I was going to go up and take a look at a rock. They called me asking if I might know anything about it. I have no clue, but it sounds interesting and I wanted to get a couple photos of it. And I'm right in the middle of a gig - have most of the pruning and prep done now - just have to lay in five yards of bark and then about the same amount of 5/8" crushed gravel. Up all night sneezing and coughing. So yeah... discommoded for sure.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Jun 07, 2017 1:17 pm 
My youngest son and his family drove through the redwoods last spring on their way to the SF Bay area from Seattle. They stopped in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park and went for a short hike. About a mile in, they stopped for a rest before turning around. My son was impressed by the absolute silence--even the kids were quiet!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Jun 07, 2017 1:54 pm 
I can't remember who said it in a previous post, but I agree 100% "The default is quiet"

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Jun 07, 2017 2:52 pm 
A quiet soundscape is a moral right. But in practice, not so much. One thing our species of primate does is make noise. Lots and lots and lots of never ending noise. Our technological "advances" have aided and abetted the human din by orders of magnitude. The monkey chatter at the zoo is a quiet soundscape by comparison. Feeble, but worthwhile attempts to recognize the right to quiet are noise ordinances and official quiet hours at various and sundry places. In her notes on nursing, Florence Nightingale recognized unnecessary noise as the "cruelest absence of care", and harmful to patients.

drm

drm
PostWed Jun 07, 2017 4:44 pm 
Is there a cultural side to this? I've visited other countries where people go to sleep while others are partying at a table 6 feet away. If you ask them to be quiet so you can sleep, they are dumbfounded. I've seen people sleep on a bus on a curvy mountain road when their heads were bouncing off the metal wall of the bus, and the video was blaring Bollywood at total distortion levels. Everybody on that bus was sleeping in those conditions - except me and the driver.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 07, 2017 5:28 pm 
drm wrote:
Is there a cultural side to this?
Some folks that grew up in heavily urbanized areas with constant sound pressure -- have a hard time sleeping in quiet rural areas. People are adaptable. The worst experience I've had personally was coming into Spectacle Lake one September when the Mariners had not yet been numercially eliminated and encounting a band of fisherman in float tubes dotting the lake -- with a boombox on the shore broadcasting the Mariniers game across the lake. Fortunately -- once the Mariniers "blew it in the ninth" they turned the thing off.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostWed Jun 07, 2017 5:53 pm 
I sure would have hated for the fish to miss out on hearing the game. Would have been tempting to let them listen to it too. While some noise is unavoidable (park staff mowing the lawn at Scenic Beach) others is unacceptable. People should just know and choose whether to listen to the game from home, with ear phones, or just do without. Highly annoying is park staff who won't endorse noise ordinances. At state parks, the actual rule is that if it can be heard beyond your campsite, it is too loud. Time of day is does not change that. When I was a wee lad of 14 years, we were pretty much forced to stay awake in our Yosemite tent cabin because the Lakers were busy winning the championship. Probably nothing the park staff could do. I think it was the private concession that was airing the game.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 07, 2017 6:03 pm 
One of the things I really enjoyed about a trip into the Paysaten a couple years ago was how quiet it was -- including the lack of overhead air traffic.

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostThu Jun 08, 2017 1:53 pm 
Whether you call it a right or not solitude or tranquility is something you have to work for in this day and age. I don't even feel like I'm in the wilderness unless I'm 10 miles from a road and far enough off trail that no one could ever possibly wander by and see my camp.

drm

drm
PostThu Jun 08, 2017 4:45 pm 
Hiker454 wrote:
far enough off trail that no one could ever possibly wander by and see my camp.
To each his own but having it not likely for another human to even see your camp is beyond what most of us need, even if maybe we would like that.

mike

mike
PostThu Jun 08, 2017 4:51 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
a couple years ago was how quiet it was -- including the lack of overhead air traffic.
On 9-11 we heard the news while in the ferry line heading out to E-OR on a road trip. Normally a major flight path but not a vapor trail or roar to be seen or heard.

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostSun Jun 11, 2017 12:07 pm 
drm wrote:
Hiker454 wrote:
far enough off trail that no one could ever possibly wander by and see my camp.
To each his own but having it not likely for another human to even see your camp is beyond what most of us need, even if maybe we would like that.
Yes I'm aware most of you city types are fine living right on top of each other. I don't want that. How much stress and mental health problems stem from being crammed into small areas to live with thousands of other people? Example of city people idea of "tranquility": We were kayaking the wenatchee river from Lake to Plain. We passed the 2 miles of beaches where tubers/idiots from the westside had posted up (read: crowded right on top of each other) with their barbecues, shouting, throwing rocks into the water, playing boom boxes right next to each other....so we find a beach that is 100 yards long with no one on it...we pull up. Another group comes around the corner 5 minutes later and what do they do? Instead of pulling up on any other part of the beach, they pull up RIGHT ON TOP OF US! They sit there and float in the water in front of us being loud and obnoxious. One even sees they are crowding and goes "oh sorry guys" before continuing to not move and be obnoxious. Another group pull up on the other side of us and begins doing the same sh##. City people are brain dead when it comes to tranquility. Tons of room in both directions but these hivemind retards pull up right on us! City people have given up on tranquility so they don't mind ruining other peoples tranquility (please stay on the westside of the mountains we don't want you here!) I get the same vibe when I hear people refer to hiking to a small prominence as "doing" whatever peak! LOL so locked into doing what everyone else is doing that they believe walking up a small hill is an achievement because summitdouche.com posted about it! It must be a worthy destination if summitdouche talked about it!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jun 11, 2017 12:27 pm 
Ruh roh. Reminds me of boating on Fish Lake when I was in grade school. We pulled up on a nice, sandy beach where nobody else was (shoulda been a hint) got our picnic stuff out and then a cloud of mosquitoes attacked us. We loaded back up and left. I have been suspicious of deserted sandy spots ever since.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Jun 11, 2017 1:06 pm 
Oh, yeah, what about the country folk with their noisy snow mobiles, ATVs, dirt bikes, barking dogs, and my favorite...shooting it up with their guns in their favorite places? And don't get me going about how driving through the more countrified areas on July 4th sounds and smells like a war zone. Tranquility...the non-city version.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jun 11, 2017 4:38 pm 
That's cuz their relatives from the city come to visit and bring their toys, guns, fireworks and psychotic dogs. biggrin.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities