Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Is it a right?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
drm

drm
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 8:04 am 
Hiker454 wrote:
drm wrote:
Hiker454 wrote:
far enough off trail that no one could ever possibly wander by and see my camp.
To each his own but having it not likely for another human to even see your camp is beyond what most of us need, even if maybe we would like that.
Yes I'm aware most of you city types are fine living right on top of each other
Wow. Maybe there is a little ground between nobody being able to see my camp and people living on top of each other?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 12:11 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Oh, yeah, what about the country folk with their noisy snow mobiles, ATVs, dirt bikes, barking dogs, and my favorite...shooting it up with their guns in their favorite places?
Nah, not true, the majority of folks who haul their snowmobiles and ATVs up into the hills and/or then shoot guns in proximity of others are city dwellers. Country folks are far more likely to be cognizant and respectful of others when they are in the woods. Maybe you're confusing displaced meth-head city folks with country folks for some reason? Perhaps you are confusing flannel wearing, trucker cap donning, smoky diesel driving country folk wannabees as real country folks? Or perhaps because you think anyone who isn't a trendy black wearing person is "country folk"? And dogs? No, no city dweller ever had a barking dog.. ykm.gif

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 12:17 pm 
Yeah -- when I see those 300K+ RVs towing a covered 4 place snowmobile trailer at the 29 Pines sno-park -- I figure they are more likely a suburban Orthodontist or something along those lines than someone that lives and works in Kittitas County.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 1:02 pm 
Dogs are good as doorbells. I want my dog to bark when somebody drives up to the house.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 1:16 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Dogs are good as doorbells. I want my dog to bark when somebody drives up to the house.
That what you want when you live "on acreage" and someone within "bark range" is actually a visitor (whether welcome or unwelcome). However in a city, a dog that barks at everyone that walks down the sidewalk (or worse down the hall in an apartment building) is just a nuisance. There is a yapper dog in a townhouse on the block of my son's apartment building in Harlem and when I take my son's dog for a walk, be it at 6:00 AM or 11:30PM, the stupid little thing goes ballistic. The owners must be deaf or horribly sleep deprived.

drm

drm
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 2:14 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
We aren't talking about people's house here.

drm

drm
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 3:28 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
OK, so I want my dog to bark when somebody is walking up to my tent, or creeping up from behind whilst my back is turned and I am looking at the view. She does comply.
So can your dog tell the difference between walking up to your tent and walking by on a trail? If you always camp far enough from a trail for that difference to work, then it's all fine.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 5:01 pm 
drm wrote:
So can your dog tell the difference between walking up to your tent and walking by on a trail? If you always camp far enough from a trail for that difference to work, then it's all fine.
I was unaware that you are the maker of The Rules. Are you one of those people who has to camp on or right next to a trail so as not to become lost? I'm in agreement with hiker 454 on camp location. Do your rules require folks to pitch their tent in the middle of a trail? biggrin.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
drm

drm
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 8:12 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I was unaware that you are the maker of The Rules.
Oh please, you're so sensitive (and I'm using great restraint here). Add "to me" to the end of my previous post if you're that afraid that I'm a god king wannabe come to take your freedom away. Sheesh. I happen to like to camp on spaces that are already worn, so as not to create more, and sometimes they are close to a trail. But most of the trails I hike to camp on don't have many hikers to start with. shakehead.gif But having another human actually see my camp (OMG!) is way down my list of concerns. I just don't want them camped near by.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSat Jun 17, 2017 5:26 pm 
Applicable WAC while camping in a state park: Peace and Quiet

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSat Jun 17, 2017 5:27 pm 
Applicable WAC while camping in a state park: Peace and Quiet Washington State Legislature Menu Search Print WACs > Title 352 > Chapter 352-32 > Section 352-32-056 352-32-053 << 352-32-056 >> 352-32-057 Agency filings affecting this section WAC 352-32-056 Peace and quiet. To ensure peace and quiet for visitors: (1) No person may cause a sound that may be plainly audible beyond the person's immediate area of use or campsite between the quiet hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:30 a.m. (2) No person shall, at any time, use sound-emitting equipment including musical instruments, at a volume which emits sound beyond the user's vehicle, immediate area of use, or campsite without specific permission of the park ranger. (3) Engine driven electric generators may be operated only between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m., except at Crystal Springs and Easton Reload sno-parks where engine driven electric generators may be operated after 9:00 p.m. during the winter recreation season. (4) Any violation of this section is an infraction under chapter 7.84 RCW.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSat Jun 17, 2017 5:31 pm 
This as part of an email exchange with the Clallam County Parks after having to listen to someone's radio at Salt Creek: Good Morning Dave, Our Clallam County policy (C.C.C. 23.03.030) states: "The operation or use of any audio device...in such a matter or at such a time so as to unreasonably annoy or endanger persons in campgrounds...is prohibited." As a general rule of thumb, our park staff uses the concept that noise should not be heard outside the campsite. We also enforce the quiet hours that begin at 10:00pm. Did you happen to mention your situation to the camp host or park staff? I'm sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience at Salt Creek Recreation Area. Our goal is to provide a safe and pleasurable environment for everyone. I will pass along your observation and park experience. Thank you for taking the time to write and for your patronage of Clallam County Parks. Bruce Bruce Giddens Parks Supervisor Clallam County Parks, Fair, and Facilities Department

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 10:03 am 
drm wrote:
Hiker454 wrote:
drm wrote:
Hiker454 wrote:
far enough off trail that no one could ever possibly wander by and see my camp.
To each his own but having it not likely for another human to even see your camp is beyond what most of us need, even if maybe we would like that.
Yes I'm aware most of you city types are fine living right on top of each other
Wow. Maybe there is a little ground between nobody being able to see my camp and people living on top of each other?
A very small piece of ground that is irrelevant. Besides if you tell the city people that ground exists they will just come camp in it and pretend to be "sorry" for ruining tranquil outdoors atmosphere.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 1:23 pm 
I've found a few things IME: 1) Being more than 6 miles from the trailhead dramaticly cuts the number of visitors. 2) Avoiding hikes with a lot of TRs posted on WTA also provides a opportunity for solitude. 3) When visiting a popular destination, thinking a little differently about where to camp or eat lunch can make a huge difference in how much company you have. E.g. I recently visited a very popular destination that had a dozen or so parties camped in close proximity. I hiked just a 1/2 mile farther, had no company and much bigger views. 4) A 3 liter soft sided Nalagene "canteen" makes it easy to camp away from water sources and crowds.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 4:23 pm 
Well, to be forthright, an experience this weekend at Scenic Beach illustrates what prompted this thread to begin with. We were camped across from some other people who were playing classic rock loud enough that I could have sung along with it quite easily. Preferring to hear the swainsons thrushes or even children laughing and having a good time, I called the guard station and asked if someone could come and have them turn it down (to complete compliance with the campground regs I hoped) and was told a ranger was on the way. Quite a bit later, he drove by between music sessions (amazing feat of poor timing if you had been there) and kept driving without a word said. When I could stand it no more, I decided to politely ask them to turn it down. When I did, and got a somewhat positive response, and then a surge of evil came over me and I added that it was against the regs for it to be heard beyond their campsite. My mistake led to me being told I didn't have to be an A-hole about it to which I used logic to point out that the A-hole is the one playing loud music in a campground. I was also told by the guy that he could play such music until 10pm. Didn't read the posted rules at the kiosk apparently.
At any rate, I had the campground host call the ranger who later came by and spoke with another camper in the site next to ours thinking he filled the complaint. I thought he was speaking with the music lovers and missed my opportunity. He never spoke with the offenders. The music started again after the ranger left and the other camper asked them to turn it down. Did not detect a volume change. It stopped shortly before his allotted time at around 9:30pm. I saw the ranger this morning and found out he never spoke with them because he never heard music😡Poor timing on his part. I guess a lodged complaint has no bearing to even speak with the offenders to educate them on park policy🙄. He told me that such disturbances can be expected on the weekend (especially Father's Day) and that there wasn't much he could do. I was tempted to call him spineless, but I happened to catch him as I was walking my kids down to the beach. When I let fly, it's hard to rein myself in. Is it unreasonable to expect that the park staff responsible for enforcing park regulations to actually do their job rather than just passively accept that the violation of those rules (even when annoying other campers) is just the way it is? At any rate, I sent an email to the parks commission to voice my complaint. Kinda regret the tone I took, but I don't have much tolerance for this stuff.