Forum Index > Partners > Alpine lakes guide/mentor
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alpineadam
Mr

Alpineadam
Mr
PostMon May 22, 2017 12:56 am 
i have a variant of the alpine lakes high route that I want to try this summer. It involves route finding, scrambling , snow crossing, exposure, glissading, even rafting -everything backcountry. Now I've hiked to otter lake and I've climbed la bohn peak from I90 but I think this would still be an appropriate hike to go with a guide and mentor. I would like 4 days to do this trip and have great trail beta. I'll send a map to anyone interested in this hike. I'd offer to pay in the appropriate situation but also, damn this looks like an amazing hike! Males only since I don't want to make my wife even more nervous about this trip! I'm 34 from spokane. I'm not in great shape but I know I can do this trip. Last year I did a 75 miler in 5 days. Here's part of it. http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1024888

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Jun 02, 2017 7:20 am 
wow I will chek that report...but why cram a week long trip into 4 days? for me that ups the risk factor (gotta stay on schedule) too much? anyway I want to do that route also, been talking about it with my partners...BUT they are taking off on day 3 or 4 and I will solo for the rest of the 7 days ! dizzy.gif what rafts are you using?....that route still sounds like 6 days from all the report I read....

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jun 03, 2017 2:39 am 
I've done this basic route a few times. Twice up Necklace Valley up to Tanks down to Otter up to Azurite to Chetwoot to Angeline to Big Heart and out the trail. A few times to Trout to Delta to Otter to Azurite to Azure to Chetwoot (side to Iron Cap) to Angeline to Big Heart then out the trail. You will need a raft if you're going to involve Otter from either direction. Angeline can only be accessed properly from a raft as well. The best way to see Big Heart is also with a raft North to South. I am planning on taking my nephew on this route this summer depending on the snow conditions. Probably in August. Ill head in via the Trout route.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Alpineadam
Mr

Alpineadam
Mr
PostFri Jun 09, 2017 8:20 am 
Hey thank you. I think we ll be doing it the first week of August. I have accumulated quite a bit of info and at this point it's time to just do it! Also I've given up on traversing iron cap. Hopefully I can scramble to the summit but that thing is too beastly for me to try to traverse it -twice. Otter point will have to wait. It's good to hear of more people successfully getting to chetwoot from otter lake. That seems like the crux of the trip to me.

Alpineadam
Mr

Alpineadam
Mr
PostFri Jun 09, 2017 8:24 am 
I've decided that I'm not going to traverse iron cap. It's too beastly for me to do -twice. Otter point will have to wait til I approach from the necklace valley. I'm thinking 6 mi to otter lake , a few miles to chetwoot and maybe a summit attempt of iron cap d 2. Over the ridge between the lakes to the end of the Foss lakes trail d 3 and out on the trail on d 4

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jun 09, 2017 8:31 am 
If youre interested, and we can time it right maybe we can go together? Ill be bringing my nephew with me. You can borrow one of my rafts so we can raft Delta/Otter/Azurite/Angeline/Big Heart as part of the Foss circumnavigation. up.gif Tom

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jun 09, 2017 9:27 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Neckless Valley
I don't normally do the grammar police thing but I like this alternate spelling. Changes the meaning quite a bit. tongue.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jun 10, 2017 6:58 am 
Oh brother. moon.gif

wildling

wildling
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 9:22 pm 
I have been looking at that route for about a year and have marked it out on my map. I have been up to big heart and to jade and opal but haven't connected the two trails. I haven't done enough off trail travel. I was waiting for when I might find someone who has done the loop and wouldn't mind me tagging along. I am a strong hiker and have about 6 years of general hiking and backpacking experience. I am however (dun dun DUUUUN!) a woman, so I guess that ops me out for this go around (which I completely understand you being sensitive to your wife's feelings). I'll geek out on your beta and wish it was me. If anyone else would take pity upon me and let me tag along in a future go at this trail I am game. I am married and have kids and really just want to learn some more badassery skills.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 10:58 pm 
Im planning on taking my nephew on a Foss circumnavigation this august. Trout-Delta-Otter-Azurite-Azure-Chetwoot-Angeline-Big Heart and out the normal trail. I wont be going above on the Iron Cap to Tanks route this time, but we will see the best of the Foss. I can offer a couple people rafts to come with us. We can do that Iron Cap side trip if desired. PM me and let me know if youre interested. Tom

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Jun 14, 2017 5:26 am 
TAKE HEADNETS...OR YOUR GONNA DIEEEE!!...??