Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Hangin' out in the left lane
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Mar 25, 2016 12:46 pm 
Quote:
I still move to the left lane to pass and the car I am passing decides to speed up. Really!? Not sure if s/he doesn't want to be passed or that they realized that they were going slow.
I believe that's the Type 2 Variation of the stickiness factor.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostFri Mar 25, 2016 3:24 pm 
I tend to use the cruise control a lot on the freeway. I can't count the number of times I'm doing my usual 3-5 over the posted, cruise control on, and come up on a slower moving car doing about 2 under the limit, change lanes and go to pass, and they speed up....or I just get past them, and they speed up to prevent me for merging back over. Some times, I'll speed up a bit to get clear, then move over, and they then drop back to their previous speed. The ones I wish would get a clue however are those who can't make up their mind what speed they'll drive - in a 60 zone going from 52-53 then up to 67, then back to mid 50 something, then 62, back to 52, etc, etc, etc. Set your flipping cruise control and travel at a uniform speed. The other clueless ones are out on Highway 2 or other 2 lane highways. They putter along 5-15 under the limit where passing is impossible or unsafe, collecting a train of 5-10 cars behind them, then as soon as they get to a passing suitable area, speed up to 5 over the limit and block any significant number of people from passing....or drive right on by the slow vehicle turnout and the sign that says delaying 5 vehicles is illegal. What the heck?!?!?!
AlpineRose wrote:
Quote:
I still move to the left lane to pass and the car I am passing decides to speed up. Really!? Not sure if s/he doesn't want to be passed or that they realized that they were going slow.
I believe that's the Type 2 Variation of the stickiness factor.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostMon Mar 28, 2016 7:42 am 
Token Civilian wrote:
The other clueless ones are out on Highway 2 or other 2 lane highways. They putter along 5-15 under the limit where passing is impossible or unsafe, collecting a train of 5-10 cars behind them, then as soon as they get to a passing suitable area, speed up to 5 over the limit and block any significant number of people from passing....or drive right on by the slow vehicle turnout and the sign that says delaying 5 vehicles is illegal. What the heck?!?!?!
OMG yes! I will say this about people pulling over, on the back roads that pretty much only lead to trails, people seem to do well at pulling over in their street car which is going at 10mph to let a more dirt road ready vehicle pass - at least in my experience. Maybe hiker types are just a little more courteous on the roads.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostTue Mar 29, 2016 10:47 am 
Voxxjin wrote:
mike wrote:
-chuck holes and ruts deep enough to bottom out in.
Sure you aren't driving in Pennsylvania? Aside from the turnpike, all the roads and highways are like that there. The only roads that I have driven on out here that are comparable are roads like the one out to Mowich Lake or Staircase after a season of use.
The problem with PA roads is that the state is in a climate zone where it gets a lot of hard-freeze/thaw cycles in late winter and in a location where it gets an inordinate amount of heavy truck traffic. Well, there is also PennDOT who in one instance, and as Dave Barry used to say, we are not making this up, actually paved over a dead deer.
BigSteve wrote:
Speaking of Pennsylvania, IME that state strictly enforces the rule that the left lane is only for passing and emergency vehicles.
This is pretty much true in all the northeastern states.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostTue Mar 29, 2016 10:56 am 
Token Civilian wrote:
The other clueless ones are out on Highway 2 or other 2 lane highways. They putter along 5-15 under the limit where passing is impossible or unsafe, collecting a train of 5-10 cars behind them, then as soon as they get to a passing suitable area, speed up to 5 over the limit and block any significant number of people from passing....or drive right on by the slow vehicle turnout and the sign that says delaying 5 vehicles is illegal. What the heck?!?!?!
Exactly! They seem to have taken down the "delay of 5 vehicles" signs. They never enforced it in any case. A number of times I was in a long line of vehicles behind a poker on US 2 and a trooper came along in the other direction and just kept going.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Mar 29, 2016 2:56 pm 
It's almost always a pickup truck...

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 3:28 am 
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 6:47 am 
Ski wrote:
wowie zowie.... for a whole two days out of the year they're going to pay attention to the problem? dizzy.gif
Did you watch the video ? Also
Quote:
Last year, the WSP stopped more than 16,400 left lane violators. A citation can run someone $136. Not to mention, left lane camping can lead to road rage, aggressive driving, traffic congestion, and collisions.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 12:02 pm 
Not sure population is a meaningful denominator. % of total citations issued might be a more interesting statistic.

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 12:18 pm 
Your math is also skewed becuase you don't seem to understand the difference between decimal and percent notation.

mike

mike
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 12:20 pm 
I think that with the 600 or so officers patrolling the entire state each day they have more important priorities than keeping the left lane clear for a bunch of whiners. Face it, traffic sucks and it takes more than a few tickets to fix it. Buck up. Go ahead. I never go to Seattle anyway. bricks.gif

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 12:41 pm 
Yes I do know a better way, add 0's. For example: 10% of 164,000 = 16,400. 1% of 1,640,000 = 16,400 0.1% 16,400,000 = 16,400 0.1% (one tenth of 1%) > "twenty-nine-ten-thousandths of one percent." But, State of WA population < 16,400,000. Therefore Ski math is untrustworthy.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 1:10 pm 
Ski must have made some interesting purchases 20 years ago.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 2:02 am 
well.... certainly hope you all had a good laugh.... it's come to my attention that between this flu and the medications I'm consuming for it, my brain seems to be a bit addled as of late. not a big deal, of course, as this was surely the very first time I've ever been wrong here. cheers! lol.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 9:06 pm 
I feel for you Ski. smile.gif