Forum Index > Trip Reports > Strickler and Duncan Knob, Virginia 6/17/'17 (featuring views and a rattler)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 6:05 am 
Sweeping views of classic mid-Atlantic scenery from two lovely vistas was the draw of this loop hike. Two years ago I had stood atop Strickler Knob in swirling rain squalls, so was betting against the spread - a chance of thunderstorms - that my return would be in better weather. Duncan Knob was a viewpoint I had not been on before; I had no idea what to expect from that destination. Route: Massanutten Trail > Strickler Knob Trail - Strickler Knob - Strickler Knob Trail > Massanutten Trail > Gap Run Trail > Duncan Knob Trail - Duncan Knob - Duncan Knob Trail > Gap Run Trail > Scothorn Gap Trail > Massanutten Trail Hiking/photography stats: 13.5mi, 3700ft elevation gain, 10hrs (total trip time: 19hrs) My day began early, 2:15am to be precise, which is when I left the house. Despite that, with the longer days, dawn was well underway as I approached the trailhead for the Massanutten Trail, on Crisman Hollow Road. In fact, it was nice enough that I stopped momentarily, on the drive, to fire off a quick snapshot.
I began hiking by 6:30am, heading east on the Massanutten Trail. The first half mile was a gentle walk along Waterfall Mountain's ridge. Despite this gentle start I did let loose with a few curses, since the trail passed through encroaching brush, laden with the previous night's rain. In no time I was soaked from the waist down, but since temperatures were already pleasant I clamped down on my irritation. The descent from the ridge was anything but gentle; 800ft of elevation loss over half a mile (which was no picnic to go up on the return, lemme tell you!). Down in the valley I began a more sedate climb alongside Big Run, up to Scothorn Gap. At Scothorn Gap I took a right, staying on the Massanutten Trail. (Scothorn Gap was also the junction with the Scothorn Gap Trail, which I would take on my return from Duncan Knob, later in the day.) A little more than a half mile later I reached the ridge crest of Middle Mountain, which is where I found the start of the rugged unofficial Strickler Knob Trail. The Strickler Knob Trail was an overgrown, and rain soaked (obviously!), rocky mess. The rocks sported a green patina of some variety of lichen, which only added to the slipperiness. I scuttled my way along the ridge, but the closer I got to my first destination the more my heart sank. While there seemed to be no chance of rain, thick mist enveloped my surroundings, and the prospect of nice views was becoming more farfetched by the rocky scramble.
I did my due diligence and clambered about on the rocky vista, but other than the occasional sucker hole that would allow a momentary shaft of sunlight to strike me, there was nothing much to gladden the heart. I knew that if I waited long enough the sun would win its war with the mist, but I didn't have that much spare time. After all, Duncan Knob was the destination I hadn't visited previously, and who knew when those dratted thunderstorms would appear.
10- Distant Shenandoah
10- Distant Shenandoah
I retraced my mincing steps along the Strickler Knob Trail and once again picked up the Massanutten Trail. As I began my descent off Middle Mountain's ridge crest it began to get uncomfortably hot in the ever sunnier conditions. The ensuing 2mi section was the least fun part of the hike. Cat briar, some nettles, but mostly one other bush just covered with thorns, scratched my bare legs up well and good. Presumably the Cardinal Forest Fire of 2007, which had cleared the slopes of trees, was the cause of this hot and brushy hellhole. Upward progress resumed as I traded the Massanutten Trail for the Gap Run Trail. I took this one up to Peach Orchard and the junction with the Duncan Knob Trail. The latter vended its way through some woods but quickly morphed into a talus escalator. Here, for the first time on the hike, I encounter other hikers. Duncan Knob was evidently quite a popular spot. I soon saw why, as I laid eyes on the gorgeous views of lush green forested ridges and pointy bumps.
Just before I left Duncan Knob, another party that had just arrived pointed out a rattlesnake that had, unbeknownst to me, shared my viewpoint just a dozen yards away. One look into its cold eyes and I knew that it had not been a companionable time together.
21- No, not friends
21- No, not friends
From Duncan Knob I continued a short way along the Gap Run Trail, until its junction with the Scothorn Gap Trail. This one took me gently upward through some pretty forest to Scothorn Gap. Here, I closed my (lollipop) loop, to once again pick up the Massanutten Trail, but now heading back to the car.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 8:39 am 
Wow, that is a thick bodied snake! When their eyes are cloudy like that doesn't that mean they are about to shed their skin?

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 9:01 am 
I think you may be right. I thought it was some type of nictitating membrane, but this source says nope:
Quote:
The fact that the skin or spectacle covering the eyeball of a snake is semiopaque during a part of the period antedating skin-shedding may account for some of the old-time descriptions of winking snakes, or snakes sleeping with their eyes closed. Bartram (1791, p. 269) described a rattle met on the trail that had-shut eyes; and Tyson (1683, p. 27) thought that the eye might be cleaned by a nictitating membrane ... But, of course, no snake has movable eyelids or a nictitating membrane of any sort ...

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani