Forum Index > Trip Reports > Meadow Creek to Fortune Ponds with Pear Lake Overnight Attempt 6/16/2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 6:50 pm 
I wrote up a lengthy post on this recent adventure. I knew there would be plenty of snow but you never know until you get there and see if for yourself. I have an adopted section of PCT from Pear Lake to Lake Janus and just a few weekends to get out an scout it before our work party at the end of July to log it out. From what I saw, I am wondering about my log out in two weeks south of the Suiattle! If you can make it through a few paragraphs of general life going ons, the trip report and picture gallery proceeds. http://www.musthikemusteat.com/adventure-fortune-ponds-pct/

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 7:26 am 
This is great beta. up.gif I was planning on going to Pear Lake from the Little Wenatchee side sometime in the not too distant future. It also gives all of us a good idea of snow conditions around the 5K' level. Hammock camping in the snow with no bottom insulation? Adventuresome! Remind me sometime to tell you my philosophy on hammock under quilts!

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 8:16 am 
I left my underquilt in the car in exchange for my ice axe, spikes and stove. I didn't realize there would still be so much snow at the ponds! I did have a Neoair pad so not completely without some insulation. I was warm except for the toes, I think because they were slightly more elevated. If the temperature had been forecasted any lower, I definitely would have taken the underquilt!

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 8:20 am 
A really great report with pics. Thank you. It looks like August before much will be available.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 8:32 am 
I have gone exclusively to insulated inflatable pads for bottom insulation (Exped downmat or Neoair Xtherm). Mainly because they are warn, comfy and most importantly, they totally eliminate any chance of calf ridge pressure ruining your night’s sleep. Even if you are forced to set-up with completely bad angles. I keep it in place with a small pad sleeve in the footbox held by Velcro. I have on occasion also added a 3/4 length under quilt in cold weather. Happy hammocking up.gif

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 9:26 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
A really great report with pics. Thank you. It looks like August before much will be available.
Thank you, I'm glad it was helpful. I know I'll still be out in July but I wanted to have an idea of what to expect. Looks like it'll be best to save the higher stuff for August!

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 9:33 am 
That stretch after the creek crossing and Fortune Pass seems to be a stubborn section of snow that persists fairly late each season. Thanks for the conditions; I was actually thinking of this trip for a long weekend in the next few weeks, but I'm not very confident in that kind of snow when solo! I have never been to Fortune Pass during the height of flower season (billions of marsh marigolds, yes; well worth that experience!). When passing through a couple years ago after that brutally hot and dry year, I counted at least 35 different kinds of dead flowers that died trying. Bummed about the Fort Ass sign being buried under its giant host tree that fell.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 9:34 am 
@HitTheTrail I'm marginal on the Neoair, I usually use a Ridgerest I have tapered to fit inside my mummy bag. I will sometimes use the cut piece of blue foam I use for a sit pad for additional insulation at the hip. Works perfectly but in this case I opted to go with the Neoair because it fits inside my pack (unlike the Ridgerest). Thought I might be offtrail and didn't want anything hanging on the outside of my pack. 🙂

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 9:41 am 
@Kim I was surprised there was so much snow along the creek, just must not get enough sun. Where I could see them, the marsh flowers were everywhere and beautiful. I, too, was bummed when I passed through last year and noticed the Fortune Pass sign was missing and guessed it's host tree was in that huge pile (which I had to crawl over because the crew hadn't been up yet). It's really the only way you know it's a "pass". This was the first time I had wished I had brought flagging, I might have to invest in a roll. 🙂

JimK

JimK
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 12:27 pm 
Fort Ass - Gone but not forgotten...

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 2:53 pm 
Thanks for the pic Jim. I don't think they'll log that blowdown; easier to go around it, if I'm recalling correctly...? It's a stock trail, but I think there's enough flat terrain at that location to just reroute. I could be full of sh## though. I am, about 1/4 percent of 32% of 100% of the time.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert