Forum Index > Trail Talk > Camping in eastern WA
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
CAB

CAB
PostSat Jun 17, 2017 4:57 pm 
If anyone has suggestions for me for good tent camping in eastern Washington, I'd be grateful. I am new to Spokane. I am looking for something: -low altitude -not many or any RVs -some kind of water nearby would be nice but not necessary Thanks!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chico

Chico
PostSat Jun 17, 2017 7:26 pm 
Fishtrap Lake. Close to Spokane as well. I know you'll like it!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jun 17, 2017 8:40 pm 
couple places I set up in eastern Washington - years ago - nowhere near Spokane: Canyon Creek CG / Colville NF - nice creek runs right alongside the area. had an asphalt-surfaced wheelchair-accessible trail that ran along the creek under big cottonwoods. there was ONE other party (of two) there in the CG when I pulled in on a late-summer, mid-week overnight on my way over to the Selkirks. didn't set up a tent and it started raining like hell about 3 in the morning for about an hour. Way up the Toats Coulee. not sure if it was DNR or NFS administered. another mid-week overnight that required an all-day-long drive to get there. had the CG all to myself. big fire just a couple ridges over to the west made me wake up in the middle of the night choking on the smoke but it was too dark to pack everything up so I had to sit and wait a couple hours before I could bail out. way the hell out there in the middle of nowhere. Might also check out the Wehanna-Tucannon area. You can walk up along the Tucannon River just a little ways and find a spot to lay down for the night. Damn hot late summer. Lots of horse poop on the trails. Always thought it was better early season. Probably not a lot of help and probably farther out than you'd want to go. My forays over to the eastern side of the state have been pretty much limited to the most obscure places I could find.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 7:23 am 
Oakanogan National Forest northeast of Spokane has both established campsite, and many small pullout options. http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/pacficnw/okainfo.htm Colville National Forest is Directly North. https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/colville/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=67800&actid=29 You will need the NW Forest Pass, Big 5 or REI and others.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Chico

Chico
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 9:50 am 
InFlight wrote:
Oakanogan National Forest northeast of Spokane
That would be Colville! I think you meant "northwest".

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 4:38 pm 
And it is Okanogan. Another hard one for "folks who ain't from around here". Actually now it is the Okanogan/Wenatchee because they combined. The east part of the Okanogan section is on the Tonasket Ranger District.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 10:32 pm 
The Roosevelt Grove is a treat if you're north of Spokane, with a lot of pretty country threabouts. Le Clerc Wildlife area is a place I'd like to get the kids back to.

CAB

CAB
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 3:55 pm 
Ski, Thanks for those remote location suggestions! Cool.

CAB

CAB
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 4:04 pm 
up.gif up.gif Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!! What a great resource this forum is! I looked into every single one.

jim_PDX

jim_PDX
PostWed Jun 21, 2017 12:11 pm 
Washington's Grizzly and Black Bears http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/bear_cougar/bear/files/who.pdf