Forum Index > Trip Reports > Colchuck Northeast Couloir
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
christensent

christensent
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 7:35 pm 
Went up Colchuck via the Northeast Couloir. The route is still in, but has a few moats that require 4th class bypass, and will be practically impassable I'd guess in 2 weeks or so. Shrunds at the top of the couloir are still bridged fine. In and out of the clouds all day, no viz on the summit when we topped out. Route is quite committing, you really don't want to come back down. Couloir is sustained 45-60 degree snow, and the back side is 4th-5th class rock plus steep traversing snow fields (although I hear there's a 3rd class easy scramble line somewhere? I don't know where...) Right as we were in the middle of the couloir on some of the steepest snow of the route coming up below the second moat, we heard a huge boom and crashing rock directly above us. Just started running to the wall of the couloir, it's really amazing how fast you can run on steep snow when fueled by adrenaline. Never actually saw any rock come, not sure where it ended up. Brought axe + tool, crampons, 30m rope, and a few nuts. Would be wise to bring more rock pro in case things go bad or you want to pitch things out.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 8:48 pm 
Wow. Just wow. Great work. And these photos are excellent. This one just pulls you in. A bit ominous up in the clouds. Great lines of force converging.
christensent wrote:
Beautiful scene to end this report with. Very nice. Thanks, ~z
christensent wrote:

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message