Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 8:40 am 
I enjoyed Passengers. You could go ahead and watch and decide for yourself if it sucks or if it's decent.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 8:42 am 
Watched John Wick Chapter 2 last night. They tried to up the ante way too much from the first one. Jumped the shark at some point. Pretty convoluted plot, too. If you like a high body count and lots of head shots and red mist, this is the movie for you.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 8:44 am 
I liked the heck out of Passengers. Good story line, good plot. Good acting. Like how it ended as well. I went and saw Wonder Woman again. Love that movie!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 8:45 am 
Jack Reacher 2 was semi bad as well. Many second movies have been bad lately.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
gb

gb
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 4:42 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I liked the heck out of Passengers. Good story line, good plot. Good acting. Like how it ended as well. I went and saw Wonder Woman again. Love that movie!
Hey, don't get me wrong, I love Jennifer Lawrence, and enjoy Chris Pratt. The beginning of the movie was interesting, the personalities, too. But the physics in the movie were so far over the top as the climax of the movie approached that I found the whole thing completely unbelievable - it even made me laugh on more than one occasion. About as believable as pigs flying.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 6:15 pm 
Sometimes I can suspend my disbelief, sometimes I can't. I laughed hysterically during Vertical Limit, and it wasn't supposed to be funny. They got pretty much everything having anything to do with climbing terribly wrong in that film, even w/ Ed Viesturs as a technical consultant (I can only assume they completely ignored everything he told them). Stallone's Cliffhanger was pretty bad too in that regard. I'm not an astrophysicist or any other kind of scientist. I don't really care if a film doesn't realistically portray interstellar space travel.

gb

gb
PostTue Jun 20, 2017 5:19 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Cliffhanger was pretty bad too in that regard.
There was a scene in Cliffhanger in which, while falling, Stallone pulled an ice axe out of his a** and did a self arrest. He had not been carrying an ice axe......

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jun 20, 2017 8:56 pm 
gb wrote:
There was a scene in Cliffhanger in which, while falling, Stallone pulled an ice axe out of his a** and did a self arrest. He had not been carrying an ice axe......
I seem to recall Vertical Limit had a fairly unlikely scene with ice tools too. Something about jumping across a huge gap and landing on an icy sheer cliff, sticking the landing like it was velcro. Methinks with that much velocity you would just bounce off, or wouldn't be able to get the tools to stick, or something. But my absolute favorite was a desperate dyno move, shoving a cam into a crack, getting it solidly set instantaneously, and then hanging off of it. I've used cams a few times. Never tried that maneuver, pretty sure there's no possible way to pull it off. Or the ludicrous theme of the movie, used at the beginning and the end--"Cut the rope. Any good climber would."

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 8:41 pm 
LOGAN! I didnt like it! I didnt understand any of it. I dont like seeing these characters so vulnerable! But more than that, it didnt describe WHY these characters were where they were at this time! WHY was Logan dying and so weak????? What was up with Charles? Frankly I dont understand why Hugh Jackman would make such a movie! Im extremely disappointed! Ten thumbs down for Logan! down.gif down.gif down.gif down.gif down.gif down.gif down.gif down.gif down.gif down.gif

mike

mike
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 9:11 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
LOGAN! I didnt like it!
Yeah, weak. *½ The girl was awesome though.

gb

gb
PostMon Jun 26, 2017 7:08 am 
Watched Wonder Woman yesterday after recommendations. Although action flicks generally bore me, this was a really good movie with great character development and pretty cool special effects in fighting scenes. Recommended. up.gif up.gif up.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jun 26, 2017 10:10 am 
Just watched Logan last night (already had it from Netflix before I saw the negative views above). Didn't hate it, but didn't like it that much either. Too long, several stretches of it were tedious. Aging/physically/mentally declining Wolverine and Prof. X were no fun at all. The Wolverine movies in general are a mess. No continuity at all, each basically exists as if none of the other Wolverine or X-Men movies occurred. The girl was pretty kick ass, but with her being mute most of the way thru the film other than screaming, she kinda seemed like a knock off of the feral little boy from Road Warrior.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jun 28, 2017 10:47 pm 
Double feature tonight, although the movies couldn't be more different. Lego Batman Movie was pretty funny. Will Arnett just kills it as Batman, plenty of other strong vocal work as well. Was mostly just a fun, silly movie, and yet a pretty darn good deconstruction of the Batman mythology and skewers the history of the character in TV and film. And most other superhero movies while it's at it. The other movie was Before I Fall. Maybe there's something wrong w/ me, I keep watching YA films even though I'm well beyond that age range. I liked it. Maybe cliched, but it was decent. Yet another iteration of the Groundhog Day setup, this one set in high school with the clique of pretty, popular, mean girls. I like Zoey Deutch (there's just something about women named Zoey or Zoe or however they spell it). I like Halston Sage, too, although she had a pretty thankless role. Kept up the Hollywood tradition of 20 somethings playing teenagers. Jennifer Beals is an ageless wonder.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jul 06, 2017 7:15 pm 
Another double bill. "Collision" was an enjoyable B grade movie. Wasn't trying to be more than it was. Really solid cast. Nicholas Hoult and Felicity Jones are younger actor/actress that have gotten some acclaim, and Ben Kingsley and Anthony Hopkins did a fair bit of scenery chewing. Both of those guys, but Kingsley in particular don't seem to be very choosy about their roles. Just as happy doing totally cheesy stuff as Oscar bait. The other one was "The Zookeeper's Wife." Jessica Chastain was really good. Well done, based on a true story film about the plight of the Jews in Warsaw, Poland during WWII. Chastain's character and her husband rescued and sheltered over 300 Jews at their zoo, which was defunct during the war. It was however occupied by Nazi troops during the day, so they were sneaking them right under their noses.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostThu Jul 06, 2017 10:37 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
so they were sneaking them right under their noses.
Given how they did it, that's a good choice of words. . . . An amazing story.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler