Forum Index > Trip Reports > Alpine Lookout via Round Mtn/Nason Ridge trails - 6/20/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jdk610

jdk610
PostTue Jun 20, 2017 8:31 pm 
Quick update on Nason Ridge conditions: Yesterday I took the Round Mountain trail to Nason Ridge, and then took the Nason Ridge trail west to the Alpine Lookout. Road 6910 up to the Round Mountain trailhead is 100% snow-free and in reasonable condition. A sedan could likely make it, although you’d have to steer carefully around a few bumps and holes, and one washout on a curve. As previous trip reports have mentioned, FS 6910 is very easy to miss as you’re driving on Highway 2. The Round Mountain trail is completely snow-free all the way from the trailhead to the junction with Nason Ridge at 1.5 miles and approx 5300 ft. I’m pretty sure there is a kitty who lives in this first section, as there were fresh tracks the last time I was there, and several piles of fresh scat this time. Unsurprisingly, I’ve never seen the actual animal… I’m sure they steer clear as soon as they hear me crashing up the trail. The most noticeable and troublesome wildlife by far were the bugs. They were particularly bad on the Round Mountain trail. Even after I applied bug spray, the mosquitoes were voracious. I also got stung/bit by either a bee or a horsefly. Not the end of the world, but just be prepared to serve yourself as breakfast. 🙂 I noticed that the bugs got better once I reached the Nason Ridge trail, partly because there was a bit more of a breeze. In addition to fewer bugs, there’s more snow once you start along the Nason Ridge trail. As of Monday, there were longish (0.5 – 1 mile) sections of trail completely covered by snow in the trees, which required some route-finding. The snow was mostly consolidated so it was fairly easy going with only the occasional posthole. I used poles but not spikes. And for every section of snow-covered trail, there were long snow-free stretches with sunshine and views. It’s worth mentioning that the Nason Ridge trail isn’t exactly wilderness. Motor bikes are allowed for the first few miles, and they’ve already torn up the trail in a couple spots. You can also hear Highway 2 traffic and the occasional train. It’s no worse than I90, but it was noticeable. The good news is that the ridgeline wandering and the views from the lookout make up for all that. On a clear day, you can see from Stuart to the Chiwaukums to Glacier Peak and beyond. More pics here.
View from Nine-mile Saddle

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostTue Jun 20, 2017 9:30 pm 
Whats the deal with the "illigal cabin" sign?

jdk610

jdk610
PostTue Jun 20, 2017 9:35 pm 
No idea!! I thought it was kinda creepy. Like a sign that says "Hey little girl, free candy this way..." But my husband looked at that pic and laughed. Would you have followed it or not?

Chico

Chico
PostTue Jun 20, 2017 10:57 pm 
jdk610 wrote:
As previous trip reports have mentioned, FS 6910 is very easy to miss as you’re driving on Highway 2.
Milepost 82.14. On the inside of a curve, at the top end of climbing lanes headed westbound. Road has a stop sign. What appears to be a driveway at milepost 82.11 (power line snaking above the highway as well). Railroad tracks are close to the highway at this point. Mailboxes sitting at the intersection as well (5 to 7). No highway signs giving advance notice. Stop sign post MIGHT have a traffic cone nailed to it. Would post images but that means I'd need to upload them. But... Image (one of many) at http://srimages.wsdot.wa.gov/StateRoute/PictureLog/2016/NC/002/M/M/I/08/PM/08221PM.JPG Part of WSDOT's on line virtual highway imaging application (the web version) which is at http://srview.wsdot.wa.gov/srweb/srweb.htm Retired DOT so I'm familiar with the desktop version and this. Used it a lot when I was working.