Forum Index > Partners > Enchantments help (Stuart zone)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Josh8723
Josh

Josh8723
Josh
PostSat Jun 10, 2017 9:39 pm 
Looking for any input or helpful information. I am hiking through the Stuart zone in the enchantments. I am also trying to deside if I've cleats will suffice or if I should take crampons? I've talked to a few people that are still saying crampons with and ice axe.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jun 10, 2017 11:57 pm 
Would help if you clarified where you are going in the Stuart Zone? To Stuart lake I'm guessing it will be mostly snow free.

Josh8723
Josh

Josh8723
Josh
PostSun Jun 11, 2017 8:54 am 
We are starting at Stuart but are planing on going up Aasgard to colchuck

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Jun 11, 2017 9:19 am 
Josh8723 wrote:
hiking through the Stuart zone * * * going up Aasgard to colchuck
I'm confused. Stuart zone backpacking trips are typically out-and-back, e.g., Stuart Lake or Horseshoe Lake and back. If you meant "Colchuck Lake," Aasgard Pass is beyond Colchuck Lake. If you meant Colchuck Peak, the standard route is via the Colchuck Glacier, not via Aasgard Pass, although there is a route from Aasgard to Colchuck Peak over Dragontail via Pandora's Box.

Josh8723
Josh

Josh8723
Josh
PostSun Jun 11, 2017 10:25 am 
This is my first trip to the enchantments and am still learning about is and finding the routes. Clearly you've been there and have done more research. We have a permit for Stuart. What routes would you recommend and would you say that crampons are needed right now?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Jun 11, 2017 10:39 am 
Below is a map of the Enchantments zones. If you have a Stuart Zone permit, you can camp only in the Stuart Zone (for the nights covered by the permit). You can do day trips in other zones with a self-issued permit at the Stuart Lake TH. Re 'pons v. spikes, it depends where you are going.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jun 11, 2017 10:41 am 
I saw a recent trip report on Washington Trails Association for Stuart Lake. Crampons should not be necessary, only a few patches of snow left. Colchuck Lake and Stuart Lake start at the same trailhead. The trail splits about 2 miles in. You can certainly detour up to Colchuck Lake on your way back out, but since you don't have a permit for Colchuck you won't be able to camp there, so you'll be lugging a lot of extra weight up there (unless you stash it somewhere near the trail junction). As far as exploring around Stuart Lake, a good trail continues most of the way around the lake before it starts to deteriorate. If you are determined you can continue further. The trail more or less disappears at times, but it is a route that is still used. There is a path that leads up to Horseshoe Lake. Or you can just continue up the valley right to the foot of Mt. Stuart.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jun 11, 2017 10:56 am 
How many days? What level of experience do you have? From the Stuart Zone you'll be looking at day hikes to the Colchuck Zone and Core Enchantment Zone and you're not really much further ahead vs. just camping at the trailhead. This time of year can be particularly deadly going up/down Aasgard Pass if you don't know what to avoid. For sure you'll want an ice axe. As Steve said, most people camping in the Stuart Zone explore Horseshoe, but that will be snowed over so not sure it's really going to be much payoff. You could scramble up to Axis or Mountaineer Peak (6920'+) but I wouldn't advise that unless you have an ice axe and know how to use it.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Jun 11, 2017 1:13 pm 
Before you do any more planning, you really, really need to get a map of the Enchantments. Green Trails 209S is good and has been updated with general campsite/latrine information. Make sure you know how to read it. Be sure to bring it with you on your trip.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Jun 11, 2017 6:04 pm 
Camping in the Stuart zone doesn't really help you get into the core enchantments zone. It's about the same as starting from the trailhead. There is still cool stuff to do around Lake Stuart though, where most camp sites are located. If you're set on the core enchantments, plan on a long day trip up past Colchuck Lake and up Aasgard Pass. If you want to stay around the Lake Stuart area Axis peak is a good one assuming you have scrambling and route finding experience. I did this last year and was really impressed with the views. My trip report is here. I was up Colchuck Peak a week ago, and here is a pano showing the Stuart Zone area.
Colchuck Peak summit panorama
Colchuck Peak summit panorama
Just right of center you can see a portion of Lake Stuart. To the right of that is Axis Peak. Looks like snow is mostly melted out, but I'd still prepare for some snow. When I went I found an ice axe very helpful but didn't use my foot traction (microspikes). If you want to summit early morning, traction may be helpful but I doubt you'll need crampons unless there is a cold snap around the time you are going. Check the forecast.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 7:51 am 
Two years ago I day hiked up to Colchuck. On the way out I detoured to Stuart. Im not some radical athlete, and I did both in one day without trouble. Sure I was beat when I finished, but it can be done.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Josh8723
Josh

Josh8723
Josh
PostThu Jun 22, 2017 8:36 am 
Thanks for all the input. We ended up camping at the trailhead, then hiked up to Colchuk in the early am. We stayed up there for most of the day and then hiked back down to Stuart where we camped overnight.
Colchuk & Stuart lake 2017 (Leavenworth)