Forum Index > Trip Reports > Devil's Gulch - Mission Ridge Loop - (6-17-17)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostWed Jun 21, 2017 7:08 pm 
This is a long drive from Seattle and a long hike. It is open to bicycles and motorcycles. It also provides quite a bit of solitude. The trailhead is about 10 miles south of Cashmere. I had done the full loop twice before. At 17 miles with 3800' of elevation gain and loss it is a long day, at least for me. There are three crossings of Mission Creek and several other side creeks that can be very challenging in the spring. This day they were two rock hops and one easy ford. There can be a very good wildflower show in the spring. Early season flowers like trillium and balsamroot were finished down low. Tiger lilies and columbine were going strong. Higher up the flower show kept getting better and better. Tweedy lewisia and bitterroot put on a good show. Lupine and paintbrush were seen in many places. For the day I saw exactly zero hikers. a couple groups of motorcycles, and three groups of mountain bikers. Not bad for 8 hours on the trail. Soon it will be way too hot in the gulch for me but this day proved to be just about right. My full report with 62 annotated photos is at: Devil's Gulch - Mission Ridge Report & Photos Here area a few of the photos:
Bug Eaten
Bug Eaten
Indian Paintbrush
Indian Paintbrush
Coral Root
Coral Root
Western Tanager
Western Tanager
Blue & White
Blue & White
Tweedy Lewisia
Tweedy Lewisia
Lady Slipper
Lady Slipper
Tronsen Ridge
Tronsen Ridge
Pink Bitterroot
Pink Bitterroot
Green & Black
Green & Black
Mess Of Arnica
Mess Of Arnica
Nice Scenery
Nice Scenery

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jun 21, 2017 8:40 pm 
Nice Jim! Looks like a great triop. I've wanted to join you on this over the last several years; perhaps next year...!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Jun 22, 2017 8:58 am 
Excellent TR, thanks. Yours is the fourth image of Cypripedium montanum (Mountain Lady Slipper Orchid) posted this season. It has no doubt been posted before on NWHikers but I cannot recall seeing it here. As someone else wrote, it is a big year! This behavior is actually common in orchids, affecting both coral root and Calypso Orchid as well. Most years there are a few here and there, and then one year they explode. Cypripedium montanum is considered rare but may not be as rare as thought.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostThu Jun 22, 2017 10:15 am 
Thanks for the beta my blood

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 6:40 am 
up.gif Nice loop and pics this would be the perfect weekend for that trip. gag.gif A warm one for sure !

Living in the Anthropocene
JimK

JimK
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 7:02 am 
A perfect weekend for you Rob. When it's 90 degrees I'm looking for a cool lake in the forest. smile.gif