Forum Index > Trail Talk > Pasayten - Little Andrews Creek Trail:
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
crshirts

crshirts
PostWed Jul 17, 2013 12:42 pm 
I've found a little info on the Andrews Creek Trail (#504), but not much on "Little" Andrews Creek Trail (#537). Looks like there used to be a trail up into that area to access Kay Peak and the area east of it. It doesn't look like a trail that's maintained any longer as it's not listed on the Okanogan-Wenatchee website. I did a search and found a couple of tidbits, but not much. Anyone been up there? I'm looking at that area for a overnight in mid September. Thanks. Ryan

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chico

Chico
PostSat Jul 20, 2013 10:03 am 
crshirts wrote:
I've found a little info on the Andrews Creek Trail (#504), but not much on "Little" Andrews Creek Trail (#537). Looks like there used to be a trail up into that area to access Kay Peak and the area east of it. It doesn't look like a trail that's maintained any longer as it's not listed on the Okanogan-Wenatchee website.
I've got USFS GIS data converted to kml/gpx for that trail. Made some maps of the Andrews Creek drainage and they have been on my web site at capitolriders.com

crshirts

crshirts
PostSun Jul 21, 2013 2:35 pm 
That link doesn't seem to work for me.

Chico

Chico
PostSun Jul 21, 2013 3:38 pm 
crshirts wrote:
That link doesn't seem to work for me.
You mean capitolriders.org ? It wasn't a link. But try it now. I did mistakenly put dot com. I should know better. And scroll to the Topo map section which is below all the interactive GMAP4 maps.

Chico

Chico
PostSun Jul 21, 2013 3:53 pm 
Here is a Gmap4 link to the trailhead and trails. Andrews Creek Trailhead

geyer

geyer
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 9:35 pm 
I'm a little out of the loop and looking into heading that way next weekend - does anyone know if Andrews Creek is still safe to travel? The FS website says to be cautious of high creek water levels, but no mention of a slide. I assume that the slide only applies to the Little Andrews Creek trail?

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 9:52 pm 
I think Andrews Creek might be a mess....at least early this summer. Methow News article....http://methowvalleynews.com/2017/06/21/u-s-forest-service-seeks-ok-to-use-chain-saws-in-wilderness/ As far as "little andrews"....all those trails that traverse ridges in that part of the Pasayten are old sheep driveways...or in that particular case, cattle driveways. But, livestock hasn't been in that part of the Wilderness for maybe 20 years. While the FS used to maintain those trails, they do not any longer. So, other than some logs cut out by an outfitter or hunters...nada. Additionally, the whole drainage burned in 2003 and/or 2006 large fires. I'd expect lots of downed logs and brush.

geyer

geyer
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 10:09 pm 
Thanks. I may be looking into the Chewuch Trail instead...

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 10:11 pm 
We talked to the trail crew Thursday at Drake Creek who just worked on Andrews Creek. Not sure about Little Andrews Creek though.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jun 25, 2017 11:27 am 
The problem with Little Andrews Creek can be the ford of it to continue up the Andrews Creek trail when clear it is a nice trail. Little Andrews Creek Trail is a primitive trail heading up the Ridge beside and above Little Andrews Creek.

Living in the Anthropocene
christiangustafson

christiangustafson
PostSun Jul 05, 2020 8:18 pm 
I did a scouting run up Little Andrews Creek on Friday. It is a mess back there, but I think the route can be recovered, if not the trail. The first thing to note is that the Green Trails map, the 2002 revision, is completely wrong for the lower portion of the trail, dangerously so. The entire line below the end-run around the headwaters of Little Andrews Creek is false!
Fortunately, the CalTopo version of Little Andrews Creek is correct, so we can follow it in the future:
Unfortunately, I had the Green Trails Coleman Peak quad on me, so it was of little use, and I found myself following cut logs almost exclusively. This worked fine until about 5700' when I ran out of cut logs and was actually off the route. As this was a dayhike, I did not have an overnight kit, so instead of pushing further, I headed out. There are stretches with beautiful bits of old tread, but the brush is gradually taking over the lower portions of the trail.
As you move up the valley, you hit the burn area and the problem is the downed trees. You can still see bits of trail under the trees and can follow it much of the time, but the going is slow and requires some scouting.
Here is the view from my turnaround, looking south down the valley towards Andrews Creek. At this point I am actually off the route, between the two forks of Little Andrews Creek.
On the way out, I lost the trail in the heavy brush. This was a very scary moment, because I was not prepared for an overnight bivy. There are a set of critical switchbacks through the brush that you have to hit to get in and out of the upper basin safely. We don't always think of getting lost on the way out, because it's ground we have already covered, we suppose we know it. But this trail is a real thin tread, easy to lose.
My legs after the trip -- there is a reason they sell Bactine in a big spray bottle, for area coverage such as this. I made the mistake of wearing low ankle gaiters to keep the dust and grit out of my hiking shoes. High gaiters would have acted like chaps to protect me.
I have requested permission from the USFS to prune and groom this trail in early August. I'm heading back in there for an extended trip across the Pasayten where I will brush and grade a handful of trails along my intinerary. I won't saw out the logs, just too many, but I can clean the tread that is there, hack out the brush, and flag the route itself with pink trail tape. My plan is to dig out Little Andrews Creek #537 all the way to Meadow Lake on the Coleman Ridge Trail (#505), and then continue on to a few other trails across the range. I'm bringing loppers, a folding saw, and a badass 55HR from Rogue Hoe for maximum impact. My thought is that if we can at least restore these routes, and get people hiking them again, then eventually either we or the USFS can send a chainsaw crew back there to finish the work. Trail #537 may work as a dayhike loop up to Kay Peak, over to Meadow Lake, and out Andrews Creek. But first we have to secure the base route before it's completely lost. If the August trip comes off as planned, I'll post an extended TR to NWhikers, of course. Cheers.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 12:30 am 
christiangustafson wrote:
On the way out, I lost the trail in the heavy brush. This was a very scary moment, because I was not prepared for an overnight bivy. There are a set of critical switchbacks through the brush that you have to hit to get in and out of the upper basin safely. We don't always think of getting lost on the way out, because it's ground we have already covered, we suppose we know it. But this trail is a real thin tread, easy to lose.
I’ve always wondered how many people lose their way on old trails at switchbacks. It’s amazing how many have a game trail that extends past. Is it a strategy to do a super job of brushing the switchbacks 15’ each way. Pink tape. It’s all over. Can you find a survey company to give you some polka dot something? There’s a piece between the Klickatat and an old extension towards South Point and and old alt Klickitat that has four different options flagged, all pink. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 6:40 am 
Wondering what the average diameter of the blowdown is? Looks like the bigger ones might be 12 to 14 inches? There are some pretty good hand saws that would be easy to pack in. I'm thinking of the whatchamacallit boy saw and then the really sharp pruning saws. Katano boy? I was impressed with it on a weekend clearing the PCT. This work would most likely need to be sekrit due to the certification needed for official saw use. I'd call it firewood cutting if questioned. smile.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
christiangustafson

christiangustafson
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 6:59 am 
Brush is my first concern, both because it threatens the trail today, and because I can clear it out with loppers and the hoe, flag the route where needed, and move on. I want to avoid sawing logs on this trip unless it's a quick 6" trunk I can handle alone. My goal is to flesh out the tread well enough that day-hikers can do the loop to Kay Peak and Meadow Lake again. The logs can go later. These are the objectives I proposed for my August trip with trail tools: #537 Little Andrews Creek -- all the way to Meadow Lake #505 Coleman Ridge #495 The Parks #754 Center Mountain #738.1 Hells Basin

RichP

RichP
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 7:57 am 
treeswarper wrote:
I'm thinking of the whatchamacallit boy saw and then the really sharp pruning saws.
Silky Katana Boy. It's a great saw and cuts well. Lightweight too.