Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Olympus in 2 days
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
xuanxier

xuanxier
PostSun Jun 25, 2017 3:11 pm 
Full trip report: http://stevensong.com/mount-olympus Had my eyes on this objective for a while and all I needed is some dead solid weather lining up with late June/early July time frame. Would prefer weekday so to avoid the weekend gong show on the mountains, and when the timing comes Vlad managed to take the time off to join me. Complication with logistics including border crossing, ferry ride and wilderness permit. This trail passes by lots of ranger stations so better safe than sorry.. Day 1 we pushed all the way to the rock platforms below Snow Dome and than open bivy'd. Day 2 we summited via Crystal Pass (4th of July route is out already). The summit pitch via N. Ridge was quite easy. More "3rd/4th class" than "5.low". We did have good snow coverage which might have shaved off a couple moves at the start though. Brought too much gears for this pitch but oh well.. Then went to check out "Panic Peak" (not very sure how this name arose and other than on peakbagger.com I cna't find other reference). then pushed all the way back. Out by 6 pm. Pushed to the ferry terminal by 9:30pm, and then all the way back to Vancouver by 2 am... Long and exhausting trip.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jun 25, 2017 3:28 pm 
up.gif Nice, great pics !

Living in the Anthropocene
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSun Jun 25, 2017 4:03 pm 
I enjoyed the excellent photos on your website!

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Jun 25, 2017 5:57 pm 
looks like a great time for Olympus! curious if you could tell how much of this years snow is over the upper glacier (looking at the crevasse layers). it has to be a lot with this high snow year

Eric Eames
xuanxier

xuanxier
PostSun Jun 25, 2017 6:02 pm 
Probably not the most accurate from my words as it's my first time up there (and only my second time to the Olympics). But from my research I can say that the general glacier coverage is above normal. Some cracks were showing up from Snow Dome onwards, a couple bigger ones all easily crossed after Crystal Pass. The bergschrunds, however, are wide open (I'm referring to the 4th-of-July route). That final schrund is completely open now . Good job on your S. Hozomeen trip. Been curious about it but guess I'll do the North Hozomeen first (later in the year).

BaNosser

BaNosser
PostSun Jun 25, 2017 10:50 pm 
Way to get it in 2 days... quite a bit less snow up there than when we did it 7 Junes ago... the false summit was completely encased and I can't remember any crevasses in our way... and we traversed over to Middle Pk to give it a look. That summit block from the Blue moraine is amazing..we sat there for an hr taking it in.. before descending and making camp on the Blue

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostTue Jun 27, 2017 12:01 pm 
You are hitting a lot of Washington classics this season. Keep it coming! up.gif

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
iron

iron
PostTue Jun 27, 2017 12:10 pm 
looks like good snow coverage. the blue glacier doesn't seem to be blue yet.