Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Kombucha
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
straydog
slave to a monolith

straydog
slave to a monolith
PostFri Apr 03, 2009 9:38 pm 
Just tried the Cranberry for the first time. Was pretty good once I got past the smell (like stale beer)... very different stuff smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSun Feb 13, 2011 3:58 pm 
Store bought Kombucha has been neutered due to kids buying tons of it and getting a buzz. No more alcohol content. Boring. down.gif down.gif down.gif

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Feb 13, 2011 4:24 pm 
Actually, store bought kombucha had to be reformulated because one manufacturer in Maine couldn't get it licensed due to alcohol levels that were too high. He pressed the issue, the feds started checking out the bottled kombucha on the shelves, and they were all pulled due to alcohol levels that were too high to sell without proper permits. (This is not a public safety concern, by the way. The issue is taxes - they go way up after alcohol levels top .05%) I don't think anybody actually got a buzz from the stuff. Who could stomach drinking that much of it? gag.gif This article does a good job describing the problem. The latest word I have on GTs is that they're planning to market their original forumula through beer / wine distribution. I don't know how we'll display that when it comes in, but we'll definitely carry it due to how popular it was. That does mean no sales to anybody under 21.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Feb 13, 2011 4:43 pm 
The store bought Kombucha is some of the nastiest crap I have ever had the displeasure of consuming. eck.gif I work with a guy that drinks it, he will take a swig and choke almost to the point of hurling. I think the stuff is like $4 a bottle? You have to be loco to drink it, I have made some home brew that was barely drinkable, but all of it is better than that crap. Be warned, if you have not tried it.....DON'T DO IT!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
RichP

RichP
PostThu Jun 29, 2017 8:49 pm 
I was in SC recently and got carded in a grocery store when I bought some Kombucha. Sure enough it has the warning label that all alcoholic beverages are required to have and it was in the beer section. Anyhoo, I'm enjoying my first batch of home brew after spending way too much on that stuff for the past few years.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jun 30, 2017 9:31 am 
Wife Anita has been making kombucha. Scobys are freaky looking. Not my cup o' tea but she's loving it.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jun 30, 2017 9:50 am 
I think it tastes pretty good. GT's Gingerade is quite reasonable when on sale at Costco for ~$2 / bottle.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostFri Jun 30, 2017 2:59 pm 
Gotta say, I don't know where some of you are getting your ideas about kombucha, maybe from the store-bought stuff? My wife's been making it for years. "Nasty" is of course the taster's judgment, but ours is sour-sweet-fizzy, no noticeable alcohol, a nice counterpoint in otherwise bland, cloying banana smoothies. I think the main attraction is the natural fermentation, since there's a craze for that now.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostFri Jun 30, 2017 6:00 pm 
I was in an extremely hip coffee place (e.g. - the baristas all had beards, suspenders and skinny jeans) in San Luis Obispo CA last winter. They had THREE flavors of kombucha on offer. Selling it just like draft beer out of a tap.