Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > smog in seattle area?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostFri Jun 30, 2017 9:43 am 
this entire week on my bike commute to/from work, i've noticed a haze in the air, especially on the trip back home heading westward. is this smog? haze? humidity? something else? it seems like automobile exhaust has been a little more pungent than i'm used to, especially diesel.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostFri Jun 30, 2017 10:00 am 
Probably smog especially on these foggy mornings. It's likely worse on the east side when all the junk gets pushed up toward the mountains due to prevailing winds. I expect air quality to diminish significantly the more our population grows. As you can see, Seattle and Tacoma have the worst air quality in the state right now with "moderate" levels. https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/enviwa/

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Jun 30, 2017 10:07 am 
Year by year we have noticed the increasing haze around Wenatchee also backing up into the various drainages / valleys to the North in the Sawtooth and Pasayten.

Living in the Anthropocene
iron

iron
PostFri Jun 30, 2017 10:08 am 
wildernessed wrote:
Year by year we have noticed the increasing haze around Wenatchee also backing up into the various drainages / valleys to the North in the Sawtooth and Pasayten.
think that's coming from puget sound? seems like with the winds in your area, it would be cleared out more readily.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jun 30, 2017 10:10 am 
Seattle is subject to photochemical smog in the summer just like Los Angles. It can easily be seen from the cascades.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jun 30, 2017 10:11 am 
The entire I-5 corridor is covered by a layer of reddish-brown haze, thicker over the major metropolitan areas of Portland, Tacoma, and Seattle. Best viewing is right before sunset from most any peak in the Cascades that provides an unobstructed vantage point. Little Huckleberry Mountain in the South Cascades offers an excellent view; you can see the bubble rise above the metropolitan Portland area, then gradually taper down as it goes north until it starts to rise again in the northwest. There were, as of 2011, 4,682,790 registered motor vehicles in Washington State. (link) It should come as no surprise that all that exhaust has got to go somewhere - we get to breathe it in every day. For a really great "smog bubble" view, though, drive southbound on I-25 out of Casper, Wyoming on a nice sunny day that's been preceded by several days of clear weather. About 60 or 70 miles south of Casper - where the highway makes a big turn and heads due south at about Glendo - you can see the big bubble above Denver, which rises to about 30 degrees above the horizon. It's the sun being filtered through all that sulphur dioxide that makes for these great red sunsets we have here. (link)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Jun 30, 2017 5:22 pm 
Looking north from Strawberry Mountain yesterday I saw smog, from Pugetopolis, trailing to east. I also smelled slightest trace of smoke of a woodland burn. Probably not central WA fires, but a local burn pile. I admit I do have a certified Smokey Bear nose for wildland fire smoke.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
gb

gb
PostFri Jun 30, 2017 7:07 pm 
There are large fires east of Wenatchee, mostly grass and desert habitat. Hopefully, not much sage. http://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/BSC18CA12/current/

Chico

Chico
PostFri Jun 30, 2017 10:40 pm 
Smog and warm weather go hand in hand don't you know. Nothing new.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jul 01, 2017 6:15 am 
Chico wrote:
Smog and warm weather go hand in hand don't you know. Nothing new.
Plus more people and more moving in and I wonder how many now have back yard campfires?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jul 01, 2017 10:52 am 
^ The barbecues and backyard campfires are nothing compared to what all the lawnmowers and gas-powered leaf-blowers spew into the atmosphere. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Jul 01, 2017 2:30 pm 
It all adds up, yes? When we have our wonderful marine pushes, it seems to keep the smog at bay. On long sunny summer days when the temps rise above, oh, 70 degrees the smog layer is quite visible. It has always been thus. But it is getting worse. It will continue to get worse as the population increases. The increasing number of vehicles idling in the red and black lines on the WSDOT maps, lines which continue to get longer and last longer, certainly don't help.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jul 01, 2017 3:06 pm 
Wait till the big earthquake hits.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Jul 01, 2017 6:24 pm 
iron wrote:
think that's coming from puget sound? seems like with the winds in your area, it would be cleared out more readily.
If you look at the smog it is heavier in populated areas locally, the wind clears it out but a lack of wind allows it to back up valleys and canyons. This weather pattern we have had since last June has brought more wind helping alot with stagnation.

Living in the Anthropocene
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 02, 2017 12:19 pm 
YET another good reason to move East like some of us have done. hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln