Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mount Tenerife Trailhead
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 05, 2017 6:36 pm 
I visited the new trailhead between the Mount Si trailhead today and had a few observations. The trailhead is quite nice and has room for over a hundred cars and accesses both the old Tenerife Road and the crossover trail to Mount Si reducing the Tenerife road walk about a half mile. I also have several concerns. First, I notice the trailhead will be closed at 8pm much like the Little Si trail this concerns me because it makes it just about impossible to be on top for Sunset. I enjoy walking up in the evening and descending in the dark especially on hot summer days. Second, it seems this will only increase traffic on an overburdened trail system. Third, parking is now prohibited east of the trailhead including the bus turnaround old TH lengthening the trail to Kamakazi Falls and the ccc road. So it goes

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Jul 05, 2017 6:40 pm 
One thing the new trailhead will reduce: the North Bend towing companies income.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 05, 2017 6:47 pm 
They will be able to make it up by towing cars out of the new lot who did not make it back in time. huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostWed Jul 05, 2017 10:55 pm 
I was there over the weekend when it first opened. I hadn't done that trail before so I was surprised at how big the lot was compared to the description of the old parking area. I wasn't happy when I got to the TH at 4:30 pm and saw the sign saying it closed at 8pm. Luckily I got to the top comfortably before my turnaround time since the trail was shorter. I passed a few people on the way down that were definitely not going to make the 8pm closing, but I'm guessing the closing time wasn't enforced closely that weekend. The nice thing was how few cars there were there on a weekend (Mt. Si was pretty full). Did Teneriffe Falls not attract a lot of people due to the small parking area? If so, any bets on when the new TH will regularly be overflowing by 9am?

whitebark

whitebark
PostThu Jul 06, 2017 4:19 pm 
Today I checked out the new parking lot. Wow, it is so big, you could open a WalMart SuperCenter next to it! The five or so cars parked there looked pretty lonely in the vast sun-baked expanse of asphalt (there is little shade, expect your ride to become an oven on a sunny day). The reader board at the trailhead displayed a nice map showing all the trails. It looks like the various crossover trails between the Mt. Si and Teneriffe areas have graduated from their user-built roots and have become official. I followed the freshly dug trail that leads in a half mile to a junction with the old road. The machine-carved tread of the trail was wide and gently graded - also a bit raw-looking and dusty, but time should fix that. Then I quickly returned, since my Discover Pass had expired as of July. Things could get pretty busy on Mt. Teneriffe soon!

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Jul 06, 2017 6:21 pm 
I think the new trailhead is too new for the social media hordes to have discovered it yet. Will Teneriffe become the new Mailbox? I guess the school bus turnaround has been demoted to...a school bus turnaround.

Pef

Pef
PostTue Dec 05, 2017 7:45 pm 
I went for an afternoon hike up Tenerife at the weekend, I was going to use the new trailhead but decided not to risk it as the sign said the gate is locked at 5pm. Anybody know if it really closes at 5? Or is that an empty threat? I used the the Si TH, and I forget to check when i finished at ~7pm. Seems odd as AFAIK Si TH is never gated.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed Dec 06, 2017 7:47 am 
I wonder if people will be attracted to the long road hike with long switchbacks? There are other ways fortunately.... biggrin.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Dec 06, 2017 8:40 am 
Well if you like long switchbacks you can go up Tenerife and down Si new trail or vice versa. Meh

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 pm 
cascadetraverser wrote:
I wonder if people will be attracted to the long road hike with long switchbacks?
We did that once 20+ years ago on mountain bikes - wasn't worth a repeat on a bike and I'm pretty certain I won't be doing it on foot either now that the road has been fully decommissioned.

neek

neek
PostSun Nov 25, 2018 5:43 pm 
To whoever recently blazed trees from the falls to the summit: die in a fire. Those scars will never heal and were completely unnecessary. Also note the parking lot now closes at 4pm. Sigh. It's not even dark then.

uww

uww
PostSun Nov 25, 2018 6:29 pm 
How are the closing times actually enforced and how often? The handful of times I’ve been late at the Little Si lot I’ve had no issues and plenty of company.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Nov 25, 2018 7:21 pm 
rant.gif rant.gif for the blazing that trail is so easy to follow huh.gif , as for the TH, closure occurs when someone locks the gate you pay your money and take your chances been late many times at Little Si but got locked in on a cross rattlesnake trek major PIA. We had to hitch out and drive back next day.

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostMon Nov 26, 2018 3:20 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
rant.gif rant.gif for the blazing that trail is so easy to follow huh.gif ,
I wouldn't say the trail is always easy to follow. A number of people have gotten off trail on that section, particularly on the way down. The better prepared ones get themselves unlost (including several who have posted in this forum). The remainder call SAR. That said, I do object to the blazing. People should learn to navigate instead of damaging trees.

User-Name

User-Name
PostMon Nov 26, 2018 7:11 pm 
neek wrote:
To whoever recently blazed trees from the falls to the summit: die in a fire.
Couldn't believe that sh*t when I was up on Si/Tenny Thursday. Selfish Pig: If you can't follow a ridge without damaging it, STAY HOME! (grrr... where's that middle finger emoji....)